Welcome to Gaia! ::

Feline Lover

i'd say not, but that's personally just me. there's not much of a difference i can see between the two, and the pros don't really match up to the cons.

Obsessive Consumer

okay, i won't.
i still haven't even figured out 2.6, why would i want 2.8 anyways? XD

Sweetheart

And I am so not making a new guide for 2.8! |D'''

Feline Lover

Haha, well, I can stick around in case anyone ever pops in with 2.8 and doesn't know something if anything is super different, it doesn't look like it to me but yeah.

Benevolent Sex Symbol

11,400 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
you guyzzzzzzz

Ego and Eli biggrin You make me feel like a pro. *bakes cookies*

Ego! Eli taught me of a way to make things animated, text wise. I'm still working on an actual .gif file itself. >.<

I'm going to finish up my Chloe layout and link it here then to tackle a harder one....>_>
!!!!! Hmm...Can you select a pattern and rotate it? Hmm I'm going to find out as soon as Gimp loads.

Also, is anyone using Gimp 2.8? Do you guys like it? I'm annoyed that I can't do save as and change it to a different extension (.png, or .jpeg) anymore. >.<

I personally don't see much of a difference with 2.8 and 2.6 (The one I was using prior) The interface is different and a bit Windows 98 looking. Though, I was able to change that after messing with a few codes *nerds up and giggles*

UGGGGH I Just wish 2.8 didn't take so long to load up. >.<

Feline Lover

Yuri Takakuwa

you can do export to save it as a .png or .jpg, that's what i've been doing.

Files > Export or ctrl + e

Benevolent Sex Symbol

11,400 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Hello Honey Lemon
Yuri Takakuwa

you can do export to save it as a .png or .jpg, that's what i've been doing.

Files > Export or ctrl + e

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I just have to break the habit of going to "save as" and expecting it to do that, when it won't anymore.

Quotable Elocutionist

6,900 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
I was going to attempt my first l-shaped graphic.
Was there a tutorial or hint for that somewhere?

Sweetheart

Totenglaut
I was going to attempt my first l-shaped graphic.
Was there a tutorial or hint for that somewhere?

Copy and paste for the win.

Egotistically
The Soulless Puppet
i made this thanks to your guide.
and a glowing tutorial for the text.

but i'm having trouble with making corner graphics.
idk what's wrong with them but they just never look as good as my single horizontal or vertical graphics.
take a look and maybe make some suggestions?
x x x

thanks for your time, love your tutorial.

You're welcome! I adored your images, but it's sometimes better to use an image with a background, or to keep the background of an image. That way, you can see your brushes more clearly (but using a drop shadow may clear that up, although I do see you using multiple images.

Well, for single images, I tend to do something like this; a common upside-down L-Shape. Or, if you cut out the image/images, having something that doesn't contradict it may be a better choice. For example, I cut out Mason's character and gave the text a similar effect while using the colours from the image. Or, an 'easier' way would be to invoke the layers and try something a little more complicated, like this or this. Simply, having them 'flow' is a key part; sometimes having them contradict a little too much can make it seem a little off.

Sorry if this confused you more! I'm a little dizzy, nauseous, and in pain, but I wanted to atleast try to help!

Again, wonderful work, everyone! I'm so proud. q-q (/the love of a mother)

Shameless Dabbler

You all have ridiculously tiny writing.

Differences between 2.8 and 2.6 is mainly "under the hood" with how effects work, it is a transitional release as they are moving to a more powerful one next stable release. The learning curve is not that much greater after using 2.6 really.

The reason Ctrl + S saves to a .xcf file now is so that you don't mix up rendered raster files etc. with the layer files. This happens when you constantly flick between saving work files (.xcf) and saving rendered files (.png, .jpg). Therefore, by making it a different place you never lose your .xcf file which is terribly important. If you really are that fussed about it you can change the keyboard short cuts in (Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts) the save and export shortcuts are filed under "File".

If you do end up upgrading to 2.8, to keep all your brushes and patterns etc. from 2.6 you need to back them up before hand.

How is the animation going?

Quotable Elocutionist

6,900 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
Egotistically

Thanks! I'll post it here when I'm done if I like it

Toothsome Shopper

5,750 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200

User ImageJust a s-spoon full of sugar
▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▅User Image

User Image
                    I kinda did what I set out to do! I used the Fuzzy Select tool to extract the image. :3 and then just pasted it onto the background I made with the brushes.
                    heres how it turned out! I also downloaded so my brushes that my computer ran out of memory trying
                    to load them.
It's about time someone made a GIMP guide <3
omg, I've been using gimp since I discovered the Personalized Graphics forum on my first day on Gaia (May 17th, 2009 <memorized LOL) and I've never discovered how the layer mask tool works LOL I usually just take brushes, slap them together in a layer, and alpha-to-selection, select the image layer, invert selection, and clear. Your way seems much simpler <3

personally, i like selecting the text, creating a new layer behind the text, filling it with black, moving it down 2 pixels & 2 pixels to the right, then gausian blur 5px, thennn, reducing the opacity to 15; more than that looks like it's a bit overdone; but i guess that's just me? LOL

Quotable Elocutionist

6,900 Points
  • Pie Feeder 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
Sweetie Appleberry

Fuzzy select is nice.
But I like to take the long route extracting images for some reason my fuzzy selections never look good to me.

Obsessive Consumer

i use the lasso tool and click and follow all around the image, not the outline but like right on the inside.
then i feather it about 15,000 to 20,000...
invert, and clear.
i usually end up with things like this
i find it simple because you don't have to click and click and click a million times and it's smooth when you feather.

what is render, btw?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces