Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/71341/ibm-preps-fuel-cells-for-thinkpad-notebooks.html

IBM preps fuel cells for ThinkPad notebooks 4:45PM
IBM has unveiled initial plans for using methanol fuel cells in its ThinkPad notebook range.

The direct methanol fuel cells (DMFCs) will be developed by Sanyo and are expected to provide up to eight hours of power per cartridge. They have been designed to work not only with future ThinkPad ranges, but also with existing models.

The system includes a bay for a standard rechargeable battery for supplementary or emergency power.

Fuel cell technology differs from the traditional battery in that it runs on a fuel that needs to be externally replenished, like filling a car. DMFCs can store a lot of energy in a small space, making them ideal for consumer electronics devices and laptops.

IBM's Peter Hortensius, vice president of the Personal Computing Division said that the company is not embracing fuel cells simply because of the 'wow factor'.

'We see it as a powerful enabler that could support a wide variety of business applications...to help carry ThinkPad notebooks to the next generation of power supplies, while supporting the highest levels of business productivity.'

Mitsuru Homma, group executive of Sanyo's Power Solutions Group, added: 'This is quite a new concept that utilises both micro fuel cells and rechargeable batteries. This hybrid system could enable the user to efficiently operate ThinkPad notebooks for a longer time compared to systems with only a fuel cell.'

Back in February, the Guinness World Records recognised Toshiba's compact direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) as the world's smallest such fuel cell technology. Measuring 22 x 56 x 4.5mm, the system is targeted at smaller portable devices such as an MP3 player. Toshiba claims its version - which is still a prototype - could power an iPod for as long as 20 hours. This would be based on a single 2cc charge of highly concentrated methanol.
Hmm...So it's +3 uber battery? Neat. How would one, say, recharge it, though? Menthanol's not really a house-hold name.
Me with my crazy leftis European thinking would personally like to see the world moving AWAY from Fossel fule combustion... moreover I myself have been known to inadvertently cover my intake ports for a short period of time. (BECAUSE I'M STUPID OK) its not critical to the temp only casueing mometary spikes but do you know what happens if you deny oxygen to burning hydrocarbons?

The idea of having CO floating about my room building up when I leave azureus running kinda scares me(somtimes my power lead falls out)... Litterly killed by that blasted frog.

Not overall a bad idea but I reckon we could get longer battry time with more energy efficent laptops or perhaps denser consenrations of lithium Ion or more resistant lithium polymers in todays current battrys.
Angry Excel
Hmm...So it's +3 uber battery? Neat. How would one, say, recharge it, though? Menthanol's not really a house-hold name.

I doubt you would "recharge it".. I feel the word "disposable" is coming.

I also don't see a whole lot of combustion in the normal operation of this battery, but.. maybe that's just me.
It's a fuel cell. It doesn't burn the fuel, rather, there's a reaction within the fuel cell the turns the alcohol into electricity and something else. With hydrogen fuel cells, it's pure water. I forget what the byproduct is with alcohol cells, but it wouldn't have gotten this far if the byproduct was poisonous.

Also, alcohol isn't a fossil fuel, so no worries there ^^

EDIT: Twistex - You "Recharge" it with canisters of methanol alcohol. Each one holds...2mL? I forget exactly.
Masterwork battery.
Kekkekeekeke.
Shoroo_Lupin
It's a fuel cell. It doesn't burn the fuel, rather, there's a reaction within the fuel cell the turns the alcohol into electricity and something else. With hydrogen fuel cells, it's pure water. I forget what the byproduct is with alcohol cells, but it wouldn't have gotten this far if the byproduct was poisonous.

EDIT: Twistex - You "Recharge" it with canisters of methanol alcohol. Each one holds...2mL? I forget exactly.

burning is a chemical reaction. as such, burning Hydrogen and oxygen produces water as the main byproduct.

while not all reactions are burning, methanol falls under combustable fuels, so it most likely will be burning
"Hi, I'm d**k Cheney, and I approve of this computer."

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
I'd love to see this one come out so the idiots who buy P4 based laptops know hwo much energy they burn to play their stupid shooting games wink
WWLink
I'd love to see this one come out so the idiots who buy P4 based laptops know hwo much energy they burn to play their stupid shooting games wink

well, i wanna see it on an apple laptop, just so ya know one of those kids who thinks their cool because they own a mac can see how much energy THEY burn.
yeah, i got nothing against mac, i have stuff against the users who say macs are better and don't know the real reason why.

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
Midnight Jester
WWLink

well, i wanna see it on an apple laptop, just so ya know one of those kids who thinks their cool because they own a mac can see how much energy THEY burn.
yeah, i got nothing against mac, i have stuff against the users who say macs are better and don't know the real reason why.

No need to have anything against me, you ask, I provide!

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7447A&nodeId=018rH3bTdG8653

A g4 @ 1.42ghz based on this chart runs at 21 watts typical, 30 watts max..
The fastest g4 runs at 1.67ghz, so an estimate would be 35w max for that...

Admittedly, a similarly clocked Pentium M would run the same, if not 5-8w less neutral
Quote:

while not all reactions are burning, methanol falls under combustable fuels, so it most likely will be burning

techncially, the process of using hydrocarbon or hydrogen based fuels does not entail burning. The process involves usually passing the product through a group of cell filters which causes the atoms to release their electrons, therefore producing energy, in no way is combustion taking place.

Ballard Power already has units which use this technology and you are able to purchase from some Home Depot stores. It uses a hydrogen cell canister, and produces water from the process. They also have units which are designed for providing power to entire Japanese City Blocks, and can power about 20-30 homes on one unit using Natural Gas (which will be converted to something else later) at about the same amount of gas that would be required to heat a single Canadian home.
Shoroo_Lupin

So, let's say you make these batteries. You charge the jackasses that call your tech support line with methanol canisters? I smell a burn victim lawsuit.

Alelissa> Doesn't the idea of combustion and burning in a laptop battery sound just a wee bit ******** stupid to you? A bit improbable? Maybe it's just me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff