Welcome to Gaia! ::

God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
Snipped so I can get the point off to you.

Good. Now that I pissed you off, can you finally leave me the ******** alone? The last thing I ever want to do in this world. is to talk to you. I'd rather get AIDS than talk to you. ********, even Melanoma was better than talking to you. Is ******** off really that hard for you people?
I'm not going to stop refuting bad advice. If you at some point offer a well reasoned argument I will gladly leave you be. But I, and others here, are going to call you out if you can't support what you say.

It's pretty clear that you lack a deeper understanding of computing in general. That's fine. Everyone here had to learn at some point. You just don't seem to want to. You're happy with the superficial. Which is why we're forced to correct you so frequently.
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire

Good. Now that I pissed you off, can you finally leave me the ******** alone? The last thing I ever want to do in this world. is to talk to you. I'd rather get AIDS than talk to you. ********, even Melanoma was better than talking to you. Is ******** off really that hard for you people?
I'm not going to stop refuting bad advice. If you at some point offer a well reasoned argument I will gladly leave you be. But I, and others here, are going to call you out if you can't support what you say.

It's pretty clear that you lack a deeper understanding of computing in general. That's fine. Everyone here had to learn at some point. You just don't seem to want to. You're happy with the superficial. Which is why we're forced to correct you so frequently.

Then I can continue this until I die. Can the same be said about you?
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire

Continue what?

I respond to bad/incorrect/questionable posts with carefully crafted and referenced responses because I wish to educate people. I know you've seen some of my ridiculous novellas here. But I post because I give a damn and want those looking for help to get good and useful information. That's the only reason and the only times I respond to your posts. None of us are stalking you or purposefully berating you. But if we come across incorrect information or incongruous advice we're not going to sit idly by. That's all.
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire

Continue what?

I respond to bad/incorrect/questionable posts with carefully crafted and referenced responses because I wish to educate people. I know you've seen some of my ridiculous novellas here. But I post because I give a damn and want those looking for help to get good and useful information. That's the only reason and the only times I respond to your posts. None of us are stalking you or purposefully berating you. But if we come across incorrect information or incongruous advice we're not going to sit idly by. That's all.

That's a lie. You are intentionally targeting me and nitpicking every single thing I say when all I wanted to do in this God forsaken Thread was to advise him to purchase a powerful CPU. You are purposely berating me.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire

Continue what?

That's a lie. You are intentionally targeting me and nitpicking every single thing I say when all I wanted to do in this God forsaken Thread was to advise him to purchase a powerful CPU. You are purposely berating me.
When you questioned the integrity of Anandtech that struck a nerve as it is baseless and absurd and just followed your conspiracy-theory reasoning from a while ago. But everything else was just trying to get you to understand why someone else had suggested an i5 with more powerful graphics.

More powerful processors will become out of date just as fast as less powerful processors, which is why I challenged your assertion. A more powerful processor is not a bad thing, but the Ivy Bridge i5 and i7 are neck-and-neck in most metrics. Hyper-Threading isn't a massive game changer, especially in regards to gaming. It's hard to justify such a large difference in price for such a small performance difference. If you want the best, fine, but if that's the case then they would be spending a lot more on graphics anyway.

Otherwise if you could produce benchmarks showing that a modern i7 isn't any better than an older i7 (EDIT: or that no i5 has ever been better than any i7, which you did claim) then I would be willing to accept your original assertion that buying more expensive processors will (somehow) prevent them from becoming dated. But that's just not the case.
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire

Continue what?

When you questioned the integrity of Anandtech that struck a nerve as it is baseless and absurd and just followed your conspiracy-theory reasoning from a while ago. But everything else was just trying to get you to understand why someone else had suggested an i5 with more powerful graphics.

More powerful processors will become out of date just as fast as less powerful processors, which is why I challenged your assertion. A more powerful processor is not a bad thing, but the i5 and i7 are neck-and-neck in most metrics. Hyper-Threading isn't a massive game changer, especially in regards to gaming. It's hard to justify such a large difference in price for such a small performance difference.

Otherwise if you could produce benchmarks showing that a modern i7 isn't any better than an older i7 then I would be willing to accept your original assertion that buying more expensive processors will (somehow) prevent them from becoming dated. But that's just not the case.

It's always good to question everything because every human on this planet is a liar. And since Anandtech is a .com website, then at the very least we know it is a for-profit business. It is always a safe bet to have as little trust as possible, especially with business because in order to make money, it must be taken from somebody else. That is inherently a very unstable partnership.

Intel says otherwise. They claim that their processors have a 30% performance increase. Here's a link because you have to be a whiny b***h about it.

I never once said that an old i7 was as good as a new i7. All I said was that the 2008 i7 processors are extremely good by today's standards while the best video cards of the same era are not. If an old i7 is not going to perform as great today, then neither will the old i5.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton
Minion4Hire
God Emperor Akhenaton

Continue what?

More powerful processors will become out of date just as fast as less powerful processors, which is why I challenged your assertion. A more powerful processor is not a bad thing, but the i5 and i7 are neck-and-neck in most metrics. Hyper-Threading isn't a massive game changer, especially in regards to gaming. It's hard to justify such a large difference in price for such a small performance difference.

Otherwise if you could produce benchmarks showing that a modern i7 isn't any better than an older i7 then I would be willing to accept your original assertion that buying more expensive processors will (somehow) prevent them from becoming dated. But that's just not the case.

It's always good to question everything because every human on this planet is a liar. And since Anandtech is a .com website, then at the very least we know it is a for-profit business. It is always a safe bet to have as little trust as possible, especially with business because in order to make money, it must be taken from somebody else. That is inherently a very unstable partnership.

Intel says otherwise. They claim that their processors have a 30% performance increase. Here's a link because you have to be a whiny b***h about it.

I never once said that an old i7 was as good as a new i7. All I said was that the 2008 i7 processors are extremely good by today's standards while the best video cards of the same era are not. If an old i7 is not going to perform as great today, then neither will the old i5.

Quote:
er-Threading Technology shows performance gains of up to 30% on common server application benchmarks for this technology
God Emperor Akhenaton
Anandtech makes money through advertising. Readers coming to their site load ads in their browser; they're paid based on that alone. So Anandtech isn't funded by product manufacturers, they're funded by their readers. If they aren't getting visitors then they aren't making any advertising revenue. It is therefore in Anandtech's best interest to draw people to their site. They do this by publishing great reviews and technical articles and simple benchmark comparisons with tools like Bench. Them just saying "everything is amazing!" isn't going to draw in readers. Readers want honest, thoughtful, and well written reviews. In my opinion, Anandtech delivers quite well in that department.

There's nothing wrong with playing devil's advocate. Skepticism is fine. There are some less than credible review sites - usually the ones that constantly give high praise to every product, use rating systems, and issue lots of "Editor's Choice" type rewards and the like. Anandtech doesn't use point systems and they are very even handed. They expect you to read their perspective and experience with a product and decide for yourself. But benchmarks are benchmarks. Under a given platform and set of conditions a benchmark is only going to perform to a certain level. Under those same conditions with different hardware those benchmarks are comparable. I know this all seems obvious, but if it is, then I'm not sure why you would be speaking the way you are.

God Emperor Akhenaton

I find it interesting that you are quicker to trust a manufacturer's sales pitch than an independent reviewer's benchmarks. But as noted, even Intel claims that performance increase under server workloads. In gaming workloads, it just isn't beneficial. Games are not well threaded. Just because some games "can" use four or more threads doesn't mean that each one of those threads are running at 100%. Develops do this (partially) intentionally to be as inclusive as possible and hit the lowest common denominator of user hardware.

God Emperor Akhenaton
What you said was: "the old 2008 i7 processors are still better than the new i5 despite age" which I refuted. But then you were offended with what I was comparing - a modern $200 mainstream-level i5-3570 to the older $300 enthusiast-level i7-920. Compare it with the i7-965 if you want - a $1000 enthusiast level part at the time - but you won't see much of a difference. And in my mind the former is a fairer comparison as four years ago the OP would not have had $1000 allocated in their budget for a processor, just as they don't right now either.

Listen, there's nothing wrong with buying an i7 processor. But for most people's workloads it isn't advantageous enough to warrant the increase in price over an i5. Again - when it comes to gaming - the performance difference moving from , say, a Radeon 7950 to a 7970 on the other hand will be far more beneficial. If they have the money in their budget to get both, great, but they're looking at boutique shops here. They will be paying a premium for service, build quality and support on top of their hardware. Given their budget they probably can't get a $400-500 graphics card as well as a $300 processor. Telling them to build it themselves isn't beneficial because they're not interested. And that is why these boutique PC builders exist.

It doesn't matter how quickly or how slowly a generation of hardware may come or go; the OP is not going to replace their GPU when the next generation of cards comes out, so why should they care? If spending more money now on one piece of hardware over another (not just in excess, but reallocating their resources) is going to get them better performance where they want it most that seems like a logical course of action. No?

Shy Borg

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't replied in a few days. I've been working overtime.

I just wanted to thank everyone here for all their advice! If any of you have any more advice, please feel free to PM me!
God Emperor Akhenaton
Better product means less planned obsolescence and I don't need a bought off review company to tell me that.

You should consider that Intel changes sockets constantly and AMD does not, therefore getting an AMD processor allows you to greatly increase the longevity of the motherboard (which probably lasts longer than nearly any other part in the computer).
Je Nique vos Merdiers
God Emperor Akhenaton
Better product means less planned obsolescence and I don't need a bought off review company to tell me that.

You should consider that Intel changes sockets constantly and AMD does not, therefore getting an AMD processor allows you to greatly increase the longevity of the motherboard (which probably lasts longer than nearly any other part in the computer).

That may be, but you also have to consider the processing power of Intel vs AMD. Only recently has AMD been able to compete with the i7. No need to change the motherboard if it takes years to upgrade my processor.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Je Nique vos Merdiers
God Emperor Akhenaton

That may be, but you also have to consider the processing power of Intel vs AMD. Only recently has AMD been able to compete with the i7. No need to change the motherboard if it takes years to upgrade my processor.

...And dude's buying a new processor, so whether AMD became competitive with Intel recently or long ago is a non-issue.
Je Nique vos Merdiers
God Emperor Akhenaton
Je Nique vos Merdiers
God Emperor Akhenaton

...And dude's buying a new processor, so whether AMD became competitive with Intel recently or long ago is a non-issue.

Compete with doesn't mean better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces