Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Capitalist

REGINA SPEKT0R
"Corner"

how arty

sorry milady, I didn't know that the word "corner" doesn't sound pleasing in thy ears.

shall we rename it Game Development Vertex instead? /s
ifcruel72
Virgil_Rouge
ifcruel72
Rizrazzle
I'm following a game development study right now.

Until now we've mainly had C, C++, and Javascript.
I'm working on a rather simple mobile game right now as part of a project.

Though I have used the Unity engine a few times for fun, sort of as a hobby.
I'm nowhere when it comes to animating though. But I have a book on it laying about.

I studied 3D animation and interactive entertainment too...and

sadly I discovered that nothing that they teach there can't be found online for free...in fact I learned more from the internet and playing around with it by myself...

But your study might be different.

Mine was like "this is the place for creative people you just have to pay 10k" and then when you are there you discover that they just teach you how to not be creative and shut up so you are like a factory worker on the pc....

btw for animating i would recommend programs like Autodesk Maya or Blender 3D.

It can't hurt to know how to make 3D models, do rigging and a bit of animating even though you are more of a programmer wink

btw do you know a really good tutorial on Javascript? ^^

for me, nothing beats maya....

have you worked with it for a long period of time? because everyone I know who has to work with it (including me) finds it extremely annoying. Especially if you think about how much the program costs. 3dsmax is better (though it's from the same company.)

I now almost exclusively use Zbrush, since you get a much faster workflow with it. I only use Maya for hard surface modelling now.

Funny...I always hear that...but Ive been using maya since it was alias. If you know what that is kudos.

I personally do not like 3ds max at all....zbrush on the other hand is a beauty of a tool. Speaking of which maya has had a few significant upgrades in the latest incarnation.

To be honest Ive been using maya since i was thirteen. Fell in love with the rigging aspect as well as the modeling aspect. 3DS feels to convoluted though it does have some great features and it is a powerful tool in its own right...just not my flavor.

Another great one that many over looks and really dont look at is Blender. I have to give that little bugger props, its a powerhouse and people really need to use it more.

Wealthy Capitalist

Virgil_Rouge
ifcruel72
Virgil_Rouge
ifcruel72
Rizrazzle

I'm nowhere when it comes to animating though. But I have a book on it laying about.

sadly I discovered that nothing that they teach there can't be found online for free...in fact I learned more from the internet and playing around with it by myself...

Mine was like "this is the place for creative people you just have to pay 10k" and then when you are there you discover that they just teach you how to not be creative and shut up so you are like a factory worker on the pc....

It can't hurt to know how to make 3D models, do rigging and a bit of animating even though you are more of a programmer wink

have you worked with it for a long period of time? because everyone I know who has to work with it (including me) finds it extremely annoying. Especially if you think about how much the program costs. 3dsmax is better (though it's from the same company.)

I now almost exclusively use Zbrush, since you get a much faster workflow with it. I only use Maya for hard surface modelling now.

Funny...I always hear that...but Ive been using maya since it was alias. If you know what that is kudos.

I personally do not like 3ds max at all....zbrush on the other hand is a beauty of a tool. Speaking of which maya has had a few significant upgrades in the latest incarnation.

To be honest Ive been using maya since i was thirteen. Fell in love with the rigging aspect as well as the modeling aspect. 3DS feels to convoluted though it does have some great features and it is a powerful tool in its own right...just not my flavor.

Another great one that many over looks and really dont look at is Blender. I have to give that little bugger props, its a powerhouse and people really need to use it more.

well, the problems I have with maya could relate to the student version. As far as I have heard those bugs seem to happen only with that version.

Yeah, Zbrush is becoming more and more my main program. I remember when I did the UV mapping in maya all the time and my eyes would get hurt because it's so UGH! but then I discovered how easy it is with Zbrush and I was mind blown lol

hm, the rigging in maya is missing some key things for me, but I installed this tool and now it's as I think it should be http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/01/crytek-td-updates-open-source-maya-rigging-toolkit/

Yeah, I'm learning Blender still, I think it'll be really powerful once I know how to use it better. I even tried it out on my dev pc while running Xubuntu (a light version of Ubuntu Linux which normally is used for low end pc's) and it was so freaking fast I couldn't believe it. But since I don't have a lot of time I didn't learn that much in Blender yet.
ifcruel72
Virgil_Rouge
ifcruel72
Virgil_Rouge
ifcruel72
Rizrazzle

well, the problems I have with maya could relate to the student version. As far as I have heard those bugs seem to happen only with that version.

Yeah, Zbrush is becoming more and more my main program. I remember when I did the UV mapping in maya all the time and my eyes would get hurt because it's so UGH! but then I discovered how easy it is with Zbrush and I was mind blown lol

hm, the rigging in maya is missing some key things for me, but I installed this tool and now it's as I think it should be http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/01/crytek-td-updates-open-source-maya-rigging-toolkit/

Yeah, I'm learning Blender still, I think it'll be really powerful once I know how to use it better. I even tried it out on my dev pc while running Xubuntu (a light version of Ubuntu Linux which normally is used for low end pc's) and it was so freaking fast I couldn't believe it. But since I don't have a lot of time I didn't learn that much in Blender yet.

very nice toolset. I have to say it is nice to have something like this onboard but most of the stuff he's talking about about though feels like common sense setups when it comes to rigging.

In any case....I will definitely take a closer look.
if anyone uses Zbrush, definitely try combining it with Ddo....omgwtfbbq sauce!

Dangerous Knife

This seems like a great thread to bring Gaian developers around, if that's what your aiming for; I just wish you'd make the op post more fulfilling like those 'megathreads'
Welsh_Mule
I can't say I'm a game-development buff, but I'm currently working on a mod of Minecraft solo. My goal isn't to go into game-design, but hey...nothing wrong with dabbling, is there?

...and no, I haven't heard of Construct 2. Why do you ask?

I suggest this program for anyone who is going into game design, game programing, or game animationg or just wants to make something neet.

Construct 2 is a free game engine that you can use to develop games. Of course if you want to sell those games you need a license. However the free version is really powerfull.
tabkiel
This seems like a great thread to bring Gaian developers around, if that's what your aiming for; I just wish you'd make the op post more fulfilling like those 'megathreads'

Hmm....how so? if its something needed then Why not?

Dangerous Knife

Tony_Featherstone
tabkiel

Hmm....how so? if its something needed then Why not?
Y'know, like banners and stuff, like all those other megathreads.
any programmers wan't to help develop .m3a files?
Tony_Featherstone
any programmers wan't to help develop .m3a files?
Why would you need a programmer for MPEG playlist files?
Rizrazzle

I've been learning Unity this month and practicing my topology (in Blender) for human figures and faces. I kinda want to be able to make my own people before I go off to something like Daz and start importing a bunch of high priced meshes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff