Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is the increased PPI in the galaxy s4 noticeable when compared to the S3?

I tend to read a lot on my phones so that's why I am asking.
Lich baning

It's not going to be a huge difference no. The reason why is because you don't hold the phone within striking distance of your eyeball. Most people use their mobile device at least one foot away from their face. At that distance, much more than 300 ppi isn't going to do a whole lot. Yes, very small text can be much more legible but you won't be able to read text that small anyway because of that comfortable usage distance I just talked about. So you will end up zooming in to read fine print whether you're at 300 ppi or 1000 ppi.
Minion4Hire
Lich baning

It's not going to be a huge difference no. The reason why is because you don't hold the phone within striking distance of your eyeball. Most people use their mobile device at least one foot away from their face. At that distance, much more than 300 ppi isn't going to do a whole lot. Yes, very small text can be much more legible but you won't be able to read text that small anyway because of that comfortable usage distance I just talked about. So you will end up zooming in to read fine print whether you're at 300 ppi or 1000 ppi.

cool cool. I was actually considering the HTC one.

What phone do you have btw?
Lich baning
Minion4Hire
Lich baning

I have the HTC One X but recently I have been considering upgrading to the HTC One. I might wait another 6 months though until the next round of devices hit the market.
Minion4Hire
Lich baning
Minion4Hire
Lich baning

I have the HTC One X but recently I have been considering upgrading to the HTC One. I might wait another 6 months though until the next round of devices hit the market.

ah ok.

HOw is the HTC One X faring for you? Is the screen comfortable for reading PDF files and comics/manga?
Lich baning
Minion4Hire
Lich baning
Minion4Hire
Lich baning

ah ok.

HOw is the HTC One X faring for you? Is the screen comfortable for reading PDF files and comics/manga?
I can't say I've done the latter, but PDFs have been fine. I can comfortably read most PDFs while zoomed out all the way viewing the entire page at once. The screen is pretty solid. With constant use the battery won't last the entire day (although that means 7AM-midnight; 15 hours is pretty long) but lowering brightness and disabling 4G does help.
s4's resolution is better. the colors are more vivid and clearer.
Don't get confused:

The HTC One X was last year's model (basically the direct competitor to the Galaxy S3).

The HTC One is the new phone that came out a couple months ago, as the direct competitor to the Galaxy S4.

Honestly, they're all going to be fine for reading as far as the quality of their screens. The HTC One will do better in direct sunlight, though.

You will probably see a much more dramatic improvement just by using a LARGER screen, something like the Galaxy Note 3 that just was announced.

Or, you know, get a tablet. It's basically what tablets were born to do.

Aged Member

Dont get a galaxy.
they overheat and are made out of cheap plastic.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Mine has never overheated.
Eska Is My Waifu
Dont get a galaxy.

I repair phones, and so I have personal experience with many of them. The galaxy line, in my experience, doesn't have issues with overheating. Just like all phones, the galaxy will heat up.

And what's wrong with plastic? It's a light material, making the phone lighter and protects the very expensive internals well.

Aged Member

MyNameIsKir
Eska Is My Waifu
Dont get a galaxy.

I repair phones, and so I have personal experience with many of them. The galaxy line, in my experience, doesn't have issues with overheating. Just like all phones, the galaxy will heat up.

And what's wrong with plastic? It's a light material, making the phone lighter and protects the very expensive internals well.

My Galaxy s3 was definitely not made out of gorilla glass it scratches up just from keys in my pocket. My friends iphone 5 has no case, and he keeps it in his bag with his keys and it doesn't have a single mark.

My phone also heats so much that my thumb starts hurting, and that is just after like 15 minutes of web surfing.

The plastic on the phone flexes and just feels cheap.

I will never buy another Samsung phone again.
Eska Is My Waifu
MyNameIsKir
Eska Is My Waifu
Dont get a galaxy.

My Galaxy s3 was definitely not made out of gorilla glass it scratches up just from keys in my pocket. My friends iphone 5 has no case, and he keeps it in his bag with his keys and it doesn't have a single mark.

My phone also heats so much that my thumb starts hurting, and that is just after like 15 minutes of web surfing.

The heating up of your phone indicates a battery issue. You need to get that fixed.

What phone doesn't scratch under those conditions? It's your pocket. My dad does that with his iPhone 5 and it's scratched to hell. In a bag there's not as much pressure squeezing your things against your ohone. If you don't want to scratch your phone, take better care of it.

Now it sounds like you just don't like plastic. Whatever.

Aged Member

MyNameIsKir
Eska Is My Waifu
MyNameIsKir
Eska Is My Waifu
Dont get a galaxy.

The heating up of your phone indicates a battery issue. You need to get that fixed.

What phone doesn't scratch under those conditions? It's your pocket. My dad does that with his iPhone 5 and it's scratched to hell. In a bag there's not as much pressure squeezing your things against your ohone. If you don't want to scratch your phone, take better care of it.

Now it sounds like you just don't like plastic. Whatever.

I put my phone on a table screen down and it got deep scratches from salt.
I don't keep my keys in my pocket, even if i just brush the keys over the screen it scratches it.

Its not that i dont like plastic. The plastic on the 5c is extremely well made, it feels really solid and isn't flimsy like the galaxy phones are.

I honestly will never touch another shitty samsung product again. They need to stick to making fridges and stoves and washer dryers.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff