Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm starting the first of several modding projects, and I'll post about them with links to pics here.

First project for Gaia_Laboratories.Modding

New paint scheme for a Compaq Armada 7400

Step.1) Learning

This is a laptop computer, and thus will be a bit challenging to paint. I've started by downloading all the manuals that specify a disassembly procedure and memorized how to take it apart and rebuild it.

NOTE: This is a VERY IMPORTANT STEP! If you don't know EXACTLY how to disasseble and rebuild a laptop, it's unlikely that the paintjob will ever get to be shown off. Laptops are a very delicate peice of equipment, and even one mistake can destroy them.

Step.2) Planning & Buying

Next, I'm deciding on just what exactly I'm going to be doing to this. I've got sheets of paper that have different ideas for a paint scheme, but I've setteld on this one: (Pic coming soon)

The main scheme is going to be a dark green and silver, or, if I can't get a silver, grey. I've been sitting at a design desk with a french curve and a pencil, planning out the logo I'm going to be using.

Also, I'm choosing my paints now. When painting plastics, it's important to either get a paint designed for plastics such as Krylon's FUSION paint or a vinyl dye. Vinyl dyes are difficult to find, but your best bet is at an auto body shop, since this is what the dyes are used for.

One other thing I'll be picking up from by local computing shop- a new anti-static bracelet and 6 anti-static bags for parts.

THESE ARE IMPERITIVE!! Even a tiny bit of static can RUIN a laptop, especially an older one. Almost all laptops have special safegaurds to prevent EMI (Electro-magnetic interference) and this usually takes the form of a thin sheet of metel above and below the components. Once this EMI shield is removed, the smalled jolt can ruin a computer.

After I have all of the parts I'll need to complete the project, the real work begins.

Step.3) Taking it apart

Now, I'm ready to take it apart. As you'll be able to see in the pictures I'll be posting when I do this step, I have an anti-static workpad that will also handily prevent screws from rolling. I have small labeled plastic boxes for each set of screws, so I don't have to worry about what goes where. I also have the antistatic bags ready. The table is totally cleared off except for the 3 task lights, to provide good illumination for the dissasembly.

(MORE COMING AFTER I'VE STARTED WORK)
I don't know why subject lines that look like "Read_me.first" and "Gaia_Laboratories.Modding" catch my attention...
good luck on your mod project. post us a pic when you're done
Da_Ish
I don't know why subject lines that look like "Read_me.first" and "Gaia_Laboratories.Modding" catch my attention...

Read_me.first is well, something youve been trained to do wink

as for Gaia_Laboratories.Modding looks cool. Thats why i came here
have you ever tried to mod a PS2?
whee
You know... instead of taking it apart, try covering any important componants with plastic and tape before painting... this is a good idea. I might do this with my apple... dark green!

Yeah... if you are to do it, be VERY careful.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff