Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Can some engineer go engineer up a new Reprap model based off of the Z-Corp's true color printers?

Why hasn't this happened yet? Z-Corp has had these printing types out far long enough, haven't they?

Sparkly Lunatic

Generally people don't like getting sued wink

8,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
Also, the cost would put it outside the price range for the hobbyists who typically build/use Repraps.

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
trezoid
Generally people don't like getting sued wink
I never said copy it exactly? You don't get sued if you just go by their general idea.

Z-Corp uses a different kind of 'toner' than just plastic, use something like that and go from there.

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Sitwon
Also, the cost would put it outside the price range for the hobbyists who typically build/use Repraps.
Who cares, I want a color printer that actually prints in 390,000 colors, or at least 256... I just got a new job and can afford it eventually.

For the record, I'm a 3d modeler, not an engineer.

8,500 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
felinoel
Sitwon
Who cares, I want a color printer that actually prints in 390,000 colors, or at least 256... I just got a new job and can afford it eventually.

So if you can afford it, buy a Z-Corp printer.

The issue is that the expensive part of what you want is the extrusion head. That's the part that is patented and there isn't another cheaper alternative to that part that can achieve similar color range. And that's an extremely difficult and expensive part to fabricate, not something you can print out on a Reprap. So unless you can basically afford a Z-Corp printer already, you can't afford to build a color Reprap.
felinoel
Can some engineer go engineer up a new Reprap model based off of the Z-Corp's true color printers?

Why hasn't this happened yet? Z-Corp has had these printing types out far long enough, haven't they?
No. Z-Corp's patents don't permit the kind of manufacture that is required to build an extruder or print head that Z-Corp uses on their color printers. These patents will not expire until 20 years after the filing date, at the earliest.

And besides, building a multi-color extruder head isn't easy. It's been done, but it's not easy to correctly calibrate, and the results are less than spectacular. Managing the speeds of multiple feeds isn't as straightforward as you'd think.

There are also people experimenting with multi-extruder setups, but it's not possible to mix the colors.

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Sitwon
felinoel
Sitwon

So if you can afford it, buy a Z-Corp printer.

The issue is that the expensive part of what you want is the extrusion head. That's the part that is patented and there isn't another cheaper alternative to that part that can achieve similar color range. And that's an extremely difficult and expensive part to fabricate, not something you can print out on a Reprap. So unless you can basically afford a Z-Corp printer already, you can't afford to build a color Reprap.
I didn't want to buy a Z-Corp printer cause it is already assembled... :c

I see, so it is not the toner but the head that is what makes the colors meld, much sadface here.

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel

No. Z-Corp's patents don't permit the kind of manufacture that is required to build an extruder or print head that Z-Corp uses on their color printers. These patents will not expire until 20 years after the filing date, at the earliest.

And besides, building a multi-color extruder head isn't easy. It's been done, but it's not easy to correctly calibrate, and the results are less than spectacular. Managing the speeds of multiple feeds isn't as straightforward as you'd think.

There are also people experimenting with multi-extruder setups, but it's not possible to mix the colors.
I didn't realize the head was what made it possible, I assumed it was a special new kind of toner.
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel

I didn't realize the head was what made it possible, I assumed it was a special new kind of toner.
Z-Corp uses another process: The print head spits out a bonding agent with a dye (it's not dissimilar from common inkjet printers) into a white plasticized powder. It's patented - both the head and the powder - so no one is really able to reproduce it until those patents expire.

No toner involved.

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel

Z-Corp uses another process: The print head spits out a bonding agent with a dye (it's not dissimilar from common inkjet printers) into a white plasticized powder. It's patented - both the head and the powder - so no one is really able to reproduce it until those patents expire.

No toner involved.
Odd... I could have sworn I said 'toner' not just toner, oh well it was late, here is what I meant to say.

Quote:
I didn't realize the head was what made it possible, I assumed it was a special new kind of 'toner'

As for the patent on the 'toner', it doesn't need to be exactly the same, just something similar that works in the same way.
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel

No toner involved.
Odd... I could have sworn I said 'toner' not just toner, oh well it was late, here is what I meant to say.

Quote:
I didn't realize the head was what made it possible, I assumed it was a special new kind of 'toner'

As for the patent on the 'toner', it doesn't need to be exactly the same, just something similar that works in the same way.
Well, the analogous term would be "ink," not "toner." That's how these printers work - like inkjets.

Dapper Elder

9,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker

No toner involved.

Quote:

Well, the analogous term would be "ink," not "toner." That's how these printers work - like inkjets.
Meh, I like how toner sounds more.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces