Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
Mr. Mage
Better yet, what is it that you're trying to do exactly? What are you trying to setup and why? You may not need what you think you need.
I guess what all I need is the direct IP address and knowledge that using that in the address bar as the URL will work. I can get the second part here and the first part elsewhere.

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
felinoel
Mr. Mage
Better yet, what is it that you're trying to do exactly? What are you trying to setup and why? You may not need what you think you need.
I guess what all I need is the direct IP address and knowledge that using that in the address bar as the URL will work. I can get the second part here and the first part elsewhere.
So... is that a yes?
felinoel
felinoel
Mr. Mage
So... is that a yes?
We're still trying to figure out what you're trying to do.

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel
felinoel
Mr. Mage
So... is that a yes?
felinoel
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
felinoel
Mr. Mage
So... is that a yes?
felinoel
WHY? Why do you think that's what you need? What are you doing?

No one can tell you if that's that you need until we know what it is you're trying to do.

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
felinoel
So... is that a yes?
felinoel

No one can tell you if that's that you need until we know what it is you're trying to do.
I need to know if I can use an IP address to access my website because what I am doing is wanting to use an IP address to access my website.

...kinda redundant to need to know that?
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
So... is that a yes?
felinoel

I need to know if I can use an IP address to access my website because what I am doing is wanting to use an IP address to access my website.

You were not at all clear about this.

Yes. You can do that, as was pointed out earlier in this thread.
Basically, every computer connected to the internet is assigned an IP address.
A domain is simply a name, like gaiaonline.com, that points to an IP address. You buy your domain from a registrar.

Shameless Enabler

Maybe it isn't an issue anymore but check with your ISP before you get too excited. Many (but not all) ISPs don't like users serving HTTP at all, and may fine or suspend your service if they catch wind of what you're doing.

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel
psychic stalker
felinoel

You were not at all clear about this.

Yes. You can do that, as was pointed out earlier in this thread.
I wasn't clear about this..?

felinoel
Are you sure?
... sweatdrop

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
geekbro the brogrammer
A domain is simply a name, like gaiaonline.com, that points to an IP address. You buy your domain from a registrar.
I don't want to buy a domain?

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
nouveau sereph
Maybe it isn't an issue anymore but check with your ISP before you get too excited. Many (but not all) ISPs don't like users serving HTTP at all, and may fine or suspend your service if they catch wind of what you're doing.
Seriously..? Why?

and what is "serving http"
felinoel
At no point did you say you wanted to self-host a website without a domain. You made a lot of confused remarks, which is what led me to give you a run-down of how DNS works.

It's not recommended to try to host a website on your own computer, simply because of the facts that:
  1. You're exposing yourself to attacks by malicious software and people who will try to steal your files or turn your computer into a spam zombie.
  2. Your ISP may not like it, and could cut you off. Because they're assholes. (And because of reason #1.)
  3. Your limited knowledge will severely limit your ability to protect yourself from attacks.
  4. It will require you to poke holes in your NAT or firewall that will increase your risk.

It's better to let someone else host the website. And if that's what you're planning, you'll find it kind of annoying to keep track of a bunch of stupid numbers. You'll want to use some kind of dynamic DNS service to give you a name - even if it's a subdomain (like yourwebsite.mooo.com, for example).

Dapper Elder

10,000 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
psychic stalker
felinoel
At no point did you say you wanted to self-host a website without a domain. You made a lot of confused remarks, which is what led me to give you a run-down of how DNS works.
I just quoted me saying that? It was this.

Quote:

Also, the title of the thread says it too, it asks if I actually need a domain.

Quote:
It's not recommended to try to host a website on your own computer, simply because of the facts that:
  1. You're exposing yourself to attacks by malicious software and people who will try to steal your files or turn your computer into a spam zombie.
  2. Your ISP may not like it, and could cut you off. Because they're assholes. (And because of reason #1.)
  3. Your limited knowledge will severely limit your ability to protect yourself from attacks.
  4. It will require you to poke holes in your NAT or firewall that will increase your risk.

It's better to let someone else host the website. And if that's what you're planning, you'll find it kind of annoying to keep track of a bunch of stupid numbers. You'll want to use some kind of dynamic DNS service to give you a name - even if it's a subdomain (like yourwebsite.mooo.com, for example).

I use a server, not my own computer. It is just that I keep forgetting to renew my domain and it usually takes like a year or so before the domain stealing bots will stop buying my domain and trying to sell it to me for hundreds upon hundreds of dollars. So until then I can wait fine just using the IP, plus just using the IP I assume means that if I ever use a different domain it will still link to the same places.
felinoel
geekbro the brogrammer
I don't want to buy a domain?

you can get a free one but it's usally gonna be something like yourdomainname.web44.net and the like

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff