Welcome to Gaia! ::

L element's Significant Otter

Fuzzy Bear

So, for some reason, for awhile, my internet turns off and so, we go about the protocol of unplugging the router, etc, as instructed by our internet company times before. Usually it works. Nowadays though, what happens is we still don't have internet on, and we get a messaged on our computer saying that our internet company has temporarily turned off our internet for purposes of possible violations of TOS. This makes no sense. So we call them. They say something about a DNS relay and someone trying to access it, yet they don't tell us how to fix it or stop it. They recommended to us people but well, they never show up or never call back. Now, I am not sure if getting a new router would help, or if it is something else. Could someone give me advice?

Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear

For future reference, questions go into the main C&T forum. This subforum is for discussion. Also, in both forums bumping is not only unnecessary (this forum isn't exactly the CB, it takes about a month for a thread to fall off the first page), but unappreciated and prevents your question from getting answered because the post count looks like someone already took care of it.

I can't tell what's happening from your description outside "my ISP is screwing me over and blaming my router." The answer to that is always to be aggressive and intimidating to your ISP or get someone else (not to be sexist but usually a boyfriend, dad, etc) to do so on your behalf.

On the chance (which with my anti-ISP bias I find unlikely) that it is something with your router, more information such as a more detailed recap of what your ISP said would help us to help you fix it.

Fuzzy Bear

Sorry....this is my first time in this forum,so, I was not sure.

Just, basically, we keep getting told that because someone is trying to hack our router or something like that, and it is called a DNS relay or DNS Proxy. Because of this, our ISP has to temporarily shut off our internet. We are not sure if it is the router itself or if it is something else...
Cassiel Socks
Sorry....this is my first time in this forum,so, I was not sure.

Just, basically, we keep getting told that because someone is trying to hack our router or something like that, and it is called a DNS relay or DNS Proxy. Because of this, our ISP has to temporarily shut off our internet. We are not sure if it is the router itself or if it is something else...
And given how little information you've provided, it's impossible for us to say which it is.

It could be malware on your computer, or it could be a misconfigured router, or it could be that someone hijacked your router. It could be any of these things, because any of these things can happen.

The fact that they say it's a DNS proxy is an absurd reason to cut off your Internet access, but it suggests a router configuration problem - but it's the kind of configuration that's normally impossible.

There are only two things anyone can suggest unless you can get more information: Cancel your service and switch to another ISP that won't treat you like s**t or replace your router.

Fuzzy Bear

That is as much information I can give to be honest. We haven't been told much about this dns relay thing and someone is trying to tap into it. So because of this, for security measures, my ISP has to temporarily shut off our internet. We are unsure if we should get a new router or if it is even fixable.

It's not malware since we have done a few scans and it shows up as nothing is infected. I hope it is not a malware that scans can't pick up.

Normally impossible? Oh my, well, that sucks.

Thank you for the advice. I wonder if there is a type of router out there that prevents this kind of thing. Wishful thinking, haha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff