Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
In America, you have HP/Compaq, Dell, Gateway, IBM, etc.

But what about around the world? Are there German, British, Japanese, etc. computer companies, or do they just buy our s**t?
Shinobi_1977

But what about around the world? Are there German, British, Japanese, etc. computer companies, or do they just buy our s**t?

Sony?

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Yeah, I forgot about them, though those things they make can hardly be called computers.

What about England, Germany, France, etc. Do they have their own computer companies?
Shinobi_1977
Yeah, I forgot about them, though those things they make can hardly be called computers.

What about England, Germany, France, etc. Do they have their own computer companies?

I certainly hope that wasn't a jab at Sony because back when I was in highschool, the first computer I owned before I became a techie was a sony Via RX 650, and I loved that machine, hell I still have that machine and it still does its job. That being said you also neglected to add Acer to that list of computer makers.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Acer? I've heard of them. Wasn't aware they were a computer company though.

I tried a Vaio once and the damn thing froze up solid on me when I tried to run a game on it. Besides don't they come with onboard video (a big red flag IMO)?

How about the original question: Are there any German, British, French, etc. computer companies?

What I'm driving at is, what brand computers do people buy in Europe and other countries?
Acer is mainly a laptop company but they do release the odd desktop. And your experience with vaio's doesn't speak for everyones. And onboard video isn't necessarily crappy. I saw a new Asus board that had a built in X300 I hardly call an onboard X300 crappy. Sony, is improving their onboard video as is everyone. As for the European computers and such I imagine that they are likely buying what we are because their are not alot of major players in the PC manufacturing world.
http://www.packardbell.com/company.htm gonk

There's also the Time group who own "The Computer Shop", an amalgamation of Time and Tiny computers.

Perfect Regular

Hmm, I have a Fujitsu-Siemens PC, I believe they are German. Not 100% sure, Google for their site.

Olivetti went out of business or something but I have a couple of their old PCs as well.
Shinobi_1977

The new sony vios are amazing... expecially their laptop, their screens are so vibrant and clear...
we had the PC company, but they went into liquidation recently, someone started up the PC company 2004

most of mine have Wycom badges (as do 80% of the computers within a 20 mile radius, but pretty much none anywere else)
yeah we have the same computer manufacturers over here with the addition of Fujitsu, acer hewlett packard, Packard bell ect ect... most of them are s**t.

although we do have diffrent shops where you buy them from... I always get hella confused when pepole tell me to buy a crappy $5 microphone from radio shack...

What's a radio shack??

We have "PC world" superstores ^_^
Harvy norman, d**k Smith Electronics(hobbyist shop), Beta electrical, retravision.

tis about all we have, although i do know half the ones in the states when i hear them

Dapper Gaian

1,225 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Gaian 50
What about Lenova in china?

You know, Packard Hell still exists in the US, it's just called NEC blaugh xd
Apple world wide.
Shinobi_1977

It really is global, because even companies which are based in Japan/US/Germany have products fabbed in Malaysia or Taiwan or China from designs by South African engineers or Brazilian...you get the idea.

As for whether other countries "just buy our [stuff :p]"

Germany - You may have heard of SuSE, Oberland (made Amiga), ks (they make mod chips), they also have stuff we dont see much of like H&P etc. (josef could list far more i am sure)
Brits - AGL, AGS, etc...
Japan - Sony, Fuji...
Finland - Nokia...
Taiwan - Acer, Asus...

Everywhere has something going on...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items