Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi guys, I'm planning to make my desktop to have 6 monitors and I just wanna ask you if linux supports up to 6 monitors. My distro is Debian Linux Squeeze. Just wanna ask if that would work before I buy 4 monitors and 2 video cards. biggrin
Did you google?
Disconsented
Did you google?

Already did that but only two or three monitors are showing up. Some says it supports multiple monitors but I haven't heard someone who already did 6 or more monitors in LINUX, in windows, there are many people who already did that. biggrin But I know linux can do it because it's a very powerful OS like UNIX. biggrin

Sparkly Lunatic

johnny_due
But I know linux can do it because it's a very powerful OS like UNIX. biggrin

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So...you just asked because you want to have a massive d**k waving contest about the fact that you use linux?

We genuinely cannot give less of a ********.
trezoid
johnny_due
But I know linux can do it because it's a very powerful OS like UNIX. biggrin

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So...you just asked because you want to have a massive d**k waving contest about the fact that you use linux?

We genuinely cannot give less of a ********.

I'm just asking man. I don't give a s***!! rofl
If you have 6 monitors, you're just having a d**k waving contest.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
**walks in, looks around, and leaves whilst throwing a rose bomb over her shoulder which explodes on impact showering the topic with roses**
Aven Donn

Okay, fine. biggrin I'm just gonna do 3 monitors. biggrin biggrin

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
johnny_due
Aven Donn

I have one question:
What the ******** are you doing that REQUIRES 3 monitors?
Lanackse-Kanvae
johnny_due
Aven Donn

I have one question:

Okay, fine I'll share. In the first monitor, i'm programming in windows or just reading books or something, in the second one, I'm here in gaiaonline or other social network sites or something and the third one i'm in facebook or i'm playing a game or checking out my torrents and other download clients if their done. That's all. biggrin
johnny_due
Lanackse-Kanvae
johnny_due
Aven Donn

I have one question:

Okay, fine I'll share. In the first monitor, i'm programming in windows or just reading books or something, in the second one, I'm here in gaiaonline or other social network sites or something and the third one i'm in facebook or i'm playing a game or checking out my torrents and other download clients if their done. That's all. biggrin

Ever heard of tabs? Windows? Anything of that sort?

Right proper video editing requires two screens, 3 at worst. I see a simple logic to what you're doing. When you're programming, you're not reading. When you're reading, you're not programming. When you're on social networking sites, you're only doing one at a time and not doing programming or reading.

At worst, you'd need two screens, so if you are programming according to something written or need something in front of your eyes while doing something, you use the other monitor.

Otherwise... You're just spending money on luxury that isn't even that luxurious. Hell, maybe just get a nice massive 2560x1600 monitor?
Aven Donn
johnny_due
Lanackse-Kanvae
johnny_due
Aven Donn

I have one question:

Right proper video editing requires two screens, 3 at worst. I see a simple logic to what you're doing. When you're programming, you're not reading. When you're reading, you're not programming. When you're on social networking sites, you're only doing one at a time and not doing programming or reading.

At worst, you'd need two screens, so if you are programming according to something written or need something in front of your eyes while doing something, you use the other monitor.

Otherwise... You're just spending money on luxury that isn't even that luxurious. Hell, maybe just get a nice massive 2560x1600 monitor?

I guess you're right, today, I'm using two monitors right now. I guess, I'm not just contented on what I have. smile ) xD
johnny_due
Aven Donn
johnny_due
Lanackse-Kanvae
johnny_due
Aven Donn

I have one question:

I guess you're right, today, I'm using two monitors right now. I guess, I'm not just contented on what I have. smile ) xD

Well, why not actually think about what you want? You'll be more satisfied then.
Aven Donn
Well, why not actually think about what you want? You'll be more satisfied then.

Okay then. biggrin biggrin heart biggrin biggrin
johnny_due
Hi guys, I'm planning to make my desktop to have 6 monitors and I just wanna ask you if linux supports up to 6 monitors. My distro is Debian Linux Squeeze. Just wanna ask if that would work before I buy 4 monitors and 2 video cards. biggrin
Your distro is irrelevant.

Xorg-X11 is the package that handles this sort of thing. The proper question is, does Xorg support 6 monitors. And the answer is Yes. It'll support as many monitors and video cards as you can install, in various combinations.

HOWEVER, only very recent ATi cards can handle 6 high-resolution monitors, and support for doing that on a single card is entirely dependent on the fglrx driver doing the right thing - which it often doesn't. So it's possible that you can use 6 monitors, but it's unlikely that it'll work well, if at all.

Further, Xinerama is notoriously difficult to set up on X11. It's only really well-tested on 2- and 3-monitor configurations. Very few people have done more than that, and certainly not with a single video card. It's unlikely to work well.

My advice is to not do it unless you plan to spend most of your free time testing for bugs in Xinerama and fglrx or radeonhd.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff