Welcome to Gaia! ::

Add Graphics when Graphics Intergrated into Processor?

Yes 0.71428571428571 71.4% [ 5 ]
Maybe 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
No 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
I don't know 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 1 ]
I feel your pain 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
-makes suggestion- 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Poll & Run 0.14285714285714 14.3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 7 ]

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
This is a new madness.

I know I can shut off Graphics/Video Card Integrated into Motherboard.

But all Computers I can physically get my hands on have the Graphics Card built into the Processor.

I HATE this >.< But there's no way around this when you are dealing with impatient cheap people that need a Computer within the next couple hours.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Oh well... buying a wreck
Yes, you can, so long as there's a slot for it.

Why would you think you can't?

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
psychic stalker
Yes, you can, so long as there's a slot for it.

Why would you think you can't?

I don't know. I don't know anything about the Processors with Graphics/Video bulit into them. Last I read about them they were a dream that Intel was trying to push/rush.

Last time I was to a computer store ( if you ignore yesturday) I don't think any computers at all had Graphics/Video built into their Processor... now all but the P4 computers have Graphics/Video built into the processor >.<

I ended up getting her an i3 with intel HD.

I haven't had days to plan for this. Her ancient computer wasn't working this morning and the third computer is messed up, too. So to ensure everyone else in my household had a computer I had to find something in a few hours.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
I think the thing I got her has this

http://ark.intel.com/products/53422/Intel-Core-i3-2100-Processor-(3M-Cache-3_10-GHz)
Intel and AMD both have technologies now that integrate a GPU into the CPU. Intel has its Sandy Bridge processor series, and AMD has its Llano series processors. They have their uses in some business and media environments, or for every day computing, but they're a bit more expensive. They are virtually useless in processing graphics-intensive processes such as high-end gaming, however.

A lot of motherboards now days come with integrated graphics processors as well. There is no reason for you to be unable to add another graphics processor to your motherboard as long as your motherboard can support it. It should automatically switch over to your peripheral device upon detecting its presence in POST.
They do have their purpose, as say if you were to buy a graphics card and it went bad, you have a backup, or even something to set it up while it's unoperable. Also, they make great power/performence as you can do pretty much everything but heavy gaming with them while using less power which is essential for laptops and energy-concerned citizens.
Look at it this way.

A GPU is a dedicated processor, for a specific range of tasks. The CPU? It's exactly the same thing, for other tasks. Now, the CPU's architecture gives it a rather hefty disadvantage at being a GPU. You can't have both at once. Intel solved this by adding a GPU core to their CPUs. So in effect, you have 1 extra core that supplements the CPU when it has to do graphics. Even then, it sucks compared to a dedicated discrete GPU, but it gets the job done and it's a great backup if your GPU goes kapoot.

Now, the same way you can put a sound card in, when your motherboard already has one integrated, you can put in a GPU. Nowdays, motherboards don't come with their own built in GPUs, but rather, support for Intel's or AMD's built in GPUs. So the process is even LESS problematic. (Which is to say, less than none)

So short answer, YES!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces