Welcome to Gaia! ::

For most of us, it's a lifesaver. Coding till 3am, working for days straight without dropping a semicolon, being able to talk intellegently for weeks on end without sleep. Good thing, right?

For some of us.

It can kill

Yup, caffiene can kill you, especially if you have severed ADD/ADHD. Instead of acting as a stimulant, it acts as a depressent. I personally have had by heart rate lowered to barely 37 BPM and was unconcious for 3 days in the emergency room because I took 2 caffiene pills. While this is extreme, and I know that I have extremely severe ADHD, so I should have known better, but, if you have ADD/ADHD and it's pretty severe, be careful just how much caffiene you take into your system.

And I'm posting this cause I just got out of said hospital yesterday.
Wow, sorry to hear that.

I can't drink that much caffeine... after a while, I get really dehydrated, so it makes me tired.
Lightweight.

Caffeine is a neurotoxin. Spider venom would up your blood pressure too. I took 2 grams of caffeine once... I was up for three days, the whites of my eyes turned blood red, and my pulse went up to about 200bpm for the duration. That was only a fifth of a lethal dose.
Rivird
For most of us, it's a lifesaver. Coding till 3am, working for days straight without dropping a semicolon, being able to talk intellegently for weeks on end without sleep. Good thing, right?

For some of us.

It can kill

Yup, caffiene can kill you, especially if you have severed ADD/ADHD. Instead of acting as a stimulant, it acts as a depressent. I personally have had by heart rate lowered to barely 37 BPM and was unconcious for 3 days in the emergency room because I took 2 caffiene pills. While this is extreme, and I know that I have extremely severe ADHD, so I should have known better, but, if you have ADD/ADHD and it's pretty severe, be careful just how much caffiene you take into your system.

YAY! I too have ADHD. But as it is I must drink 5-6 pepsi's a day, I do that to stay up til whenever I want to in the morning on the computer. Then when i want to go to bed, I simply pop a couple sleeping pills 1/2 hour before hand. Works for me. Antagonistic reaction I believe it is called when they cancel each other out? neway, I've never felt depressed after having a lot of caffiene but thanks for the warning.
Jewell-kun
Rivird

For some of us.

It can kill

YAY! I too have ADHD. But as it is I must drink 5-6 pepsi's a day, I do that to stay up til whenever I want to in the morning on the computer. Then when i want to go to bed, I simply pop a couple sleeping pills 1/2 hour before hand. Works for me. Antagonistic reaction I believe it is called when they cancel each other out? neway, I've never felt depressed after having a lot of caffiene but thanks for the warning.

Jewell be careful with uppers and downers in a combo or u might end up like elvis.

-is total hypocrite-
Eep. My psych suspected ADD at one point, but then she decided against it. I'm just in-flipping-sane apparently whee

I drink about 4 liters of Dew a day. Talk about healthy sweatdrop
I won't drink pop or anything for the most part but I did drink caffinated tea until my boyfriend decided he was going to quit caffeine and I had to be along for the ride.... i haven't had that many side effects b/c i still have like one or two a week as i can't go w/out it (i've tried) but he is hurting.. bad headaches.. his allergies are flaring up...

carbinated beverages on other hand are much worse than caffeine... the dyes in coke alone are sick.. not to mention it can RAPIDLY depelete your calcium in your body.. which is bad, especially for females.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I've never heard of caffeine acting as a depressant on a person with ADHD. That would explain why I often feel sleepy instead of awake after drinking a Coke. Maybe I should start popping speed. J/K
mmm Bawles, a few sundays ago I had an intake of over 3 liters of caffienated soda and I was freakin out mang eek

Caffiene and coding, thats life 3nodding
Average lethal does of caffeine: ~175mg/kg, usually about 10g.

Rivird: 2 typical caffeine pills: 400mg
Caffeine does not act as a depressant on its own. If you're taking meds for ADHD, that may be the reason for your reaction, perhaps in combination with caffeine. Due to potenially extenuating circumstances I withhold from you caffeine lightweight status.

Jewell:
6 * 38mg = 228mg, barely more than one caffeine pill. I deem you a caffeine lightweight.

Kiro:
37mg/8floz*12floz/355mL*4000mL = ~625mg caffeine in your 4L of Dew. Acceptable.

Silhouettes:
"Research has shown that caffeine intake is not a significant risk factor for osteoporosis, particularly in women who consume adequate calcium. A 1994 NIH advisory panel concluded that caffeine has not been found to affect calcium absorption or excretion snificantly. Several studies conducted to date show no link between moderate caffeine consumption and bone density and mineral content in women who consume some calcium in their diet." - ific.org

Sango:
Speed ******** you up, based on personal experience. Bah.
My caffine intake isnt as bad as it used to be I used to take caffine pills, drink jolt, and chew packs of that caffine gum s**t.

Now I just drink s**t like mountain dew for caffine. I tend to not drink soda much anymore I'm kinda addicted to orange powerade its strange.
My record is 11 pots (4 cups per pot) of espresso. Each cup is 1 shot of espresso. There's 100 milligrams of caffeine in 1 1.5 oz shot of espresso. So...lemme think

1 pot=400 milligrams/ 11 pots= 4400milligrams= 44 grams?

And no, no hospital time for me. I just have a naturally low hearbeat.

Edit: Thusly, I think the 10g lethal dose is bull.
crosshatch
My record is 11 pots (4 cups per pot) of espresso. Each cup is 1 shot of espresso. There's 100 milligrams of caffeine in 1 1.5 oz shot of espresso. So...lemme think

1 pot=400 milligrams/ 11 pots= 4400milligrams= 44 grams?

And no, no hospital time for me. I just have a naturally low hearbeat.

Edit: Thusly, I think the 10g lethal dose is bull.

I think your measurements are a bit off.

Interesting Friend

9,300 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Sango-sama1977
I've never heard of caffeine acting as a depressant on a person with ADHD. That would explain why I often feel sleepy instead of awake after drinking a Coke. Maybe I should start popping speed. J/K

Don't - go to a psychiatrist instead and be sure you have ADHD.

I remember reading SOMEwhere that caffeine raises the blood pressure so that the buzz helps us ADDers to focus. Not sure if it's true or not, but *shrugs*

I'm glad I have a tendancy towards low blood pressure - I've yet to take anything for that. (Hopefully, I won't have to as long as I keep onions in my diet. blaugh ) I do agree that Ritalin (speed) will mess you up; there has been evidence of that. If you want scientific proof of that, go visit
Dr. Amen's site and see what he's done in this field.

I am glad I don't like coffee; methinks that that much caffeine would put me to sleep!
10 No-Doze at one time... I was awake for a solid week. My parents never did notice.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff