Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
Quote:
well this one doesn't quilify for this ... but I figured that it would get some people to drool over what could be a "desktop" motherboard ... as long as "desktop" = a extended ATX case

http://www.amdboard.com/tyan_s4880_opteron_board.html
eek Egad.
you kn ow after looking at extended atx cases ... this board could quilify as "desktop" {meaning any pc that could be used for home use} and just think ... this board has a big brother

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qspro_spec.html

32gigs of ram vs 20gigs ..

a couple of more hardware IC sensors
pci-X 133 vs pci-x 100

cooling would be easy ... 9 3 pin fan conectors with tach monitoring
SATA + EIDE + SCSI {come on does any HOME user need this many harddrives/opti drives?}

but anyway ... found extended atx case thats not rack mount ... meaning this thing can be a tower sitting next to your desk ...
As much as I love Tyan boards, those aren't suitable for the desktop; they have neither PCIe or AGP. PCI video cards available today are either underpowered, or specialized and very expensive.

Wait for Tyan to update the whole product line with PCIe; we'll probably find boards with a single x16 slot with 8 lanes to it, and 8 x1 slots.
Quote:
As much as I love Tyan boards, those aren't suitable for the desktop; they have neither PCIe or AGP. PCI video cards available today are either underpowered, or specialized and very expensive.

Wait for Tyan to update the whole product line with PCIe; we'll probably find boards with a single x16 slot with 8 lanes to it, and 8 x1 slots.

ok then a tyan that does have 8x AGP

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8w_spec.html

{tho it's only a dual not a quad}

still 16 GIG of ram
and doens't seem to be extended ATX
The K8W is indeed an -awesome- board. Even though it's only 2 CPUs, I just remembered something: XP Home is -only- for single CPU machines (and I don't believe it will run on multi CPU machines, I forget), and XP Pro is only for single and dual CPU machines. I've never seen anyone install XP Pro on a quad CPU machine, but even if it's possible, you need two licenses to do it.
Quote:
The K8W is indeed an -awesome- board. Even though it's only 2 CPUs, I just remembered something: XP Home is -only- for single CPU machines (and I don't believe it will run on multi CPU machines, I forget), and XP Pro is only for single and dual CPU machines. I've never seen anyone install XP Pro on a quad CPU machine, but even if it's possible, you need two licenses to do it.
it will run on dual chip machines it just won't let the other chip be used nor anything that is ment for the other chip ...

course iirc xp home won't work with the amd64 bit chips anyway and may need the pro to use it
Quote:
Quote:
it will run on dual chip machines it just won't let the other chip be used nor anything that is ment for the other chip ...

course iirc xp home won't work with the amd64 bit chips anyway and may need the pro to use it

XP Home runs just fine on 64 bit AMD and Intel chips.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

XP Home runs just fine on 64 bit AMD and Intel chips.
well then i guess I didn't recall correctly wink
Quote:
Stealth Moose
Batousai.Ryu
unfortunatly the one that has won for CPU is wrong in my mind. Though i am a HUGE AMD guy, there is an intel better. i hate to say it but in MHZ war age*which we still are in* intel has won so far. the P4 EE chip that got to 6.5ghz stable is the winner... i forget the details of it.... but it has the newest core type that intel just came out with.

Comparing what is only stable while using a phase change system to what they do at stock is a completely unfair comparision. Overall the FX-55 will beat the P4EE unless there is a phase change system being used but even then I believe the FX still holds records for most things.

Alos, to put the comparison in a different light: In terms of sheer MHZ, intel is going to win. However, sheer mhz is starting to mean nothing. COnsider this, a stock athlon 64 at 1.8Ghz (athlon 64 2800) Outperforms a 3Ghz P4 in quite a few benchmarks. Check Toms hardware and Anandtech.com for bench results. Amd punches more data and performance per cycle than intel, and is the first to offer 64-bit and 32 bit compatibility in competitive prices. Intel is going to ahve to step up to 64 bit to compete in the next few years, or they will be left behind. Not to mention that to compete with the power of the 64Fx, they had to slap some server-level xeon chips into a P4 package with massive cache to compete with the fx51-53. When sheer speed isn't the best deciding factor, go for the best technology. AMD wins that hands down.

yes yes, i know the differences in the cpu speeds, but even still a 6.5ghz intel very closely beats a fx-55 at phase change*i believe they only got to around 3.4ghz.* besides that intel also is a heavy weight for the cache size. that and in almost all the cpu benches ive seen a p4 put against a a64 of the same standing, the intel wins most of the time by a small window. even if the intel data path is much longer then the athlon, at the rate 6.5ghz would go, it wouldnt make much of a difference

moose>i thought we were doing the best of the best? whats not to say that in the best of the best machine you wouldnt have the best of the best cooling? if this contest was on pure stock cooling then yah a64 fx55 would win, but this isnt is it?

ps sorry for the absense to try to prove my case, been out.
I'll be out for awhile as well, till monday at least... sorry for the inconvience... I'll update then.
Phase change isn't consumer level at all. Consumer level stops at water cooling. A phase changed PC won't even have the case. The motherboard will be out in the open and the phase change equipment all over the place taking up a ton of space all over the place. When you compare water cooled FX55s and Intels the FX55 still wins and no matter what the FX55 is better.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff