Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Lunatic

Lanackse-Kanvae
trezoid
Ryuke Dragon

Educational Discount comes to mind

THIS.

The adobe Education discounts are so good that you can pick up the entire Adobe suite for less then the retail price of photoshop on it's own.

Unfortunately their checks are damned stringent. The discounts require a ".ac.uk" email address at least in the UK they do. I think they just have .ac for the USA but either way you WILL require an email address from an academic institution in order to qualify.

It's .edu.[insert TLD here] for most of the rest of the world, and how is that a problem? They ARE education discounts. You ARE supposed to be a student to get them...

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
trezoid
Lanackse-Kanvae
trezoid
Ryuke Dragon

THIS.

The adobe Education discounts are so good that you can pick up the entire Adobe suite for less then the retail price of photoshop on it's own.

Unfortunately their checks are damned stringent. The discounts require a ".ac.uk" email address at least in the UK they do. I think they just have .ac for the USA but either way you WILL require an email address from an academic institution in order to qualify.

It's .edu.[insert TLD here] for most of the rest of the world, and how is that a problem? They ARE education discounts. You ARE supposed to be a student to get them...

I've seen people pull student discounts without being a student (don't ask me how since even if I knew, I would never be allowed to tell you) and I don't want the OP to get into trouble since I feel that the companies may well clamp down hard on this in the future.
Mwharrison.com > CSN > GRC119 > calendar
Its the website to my current graphic design teacher. You'll need The Adobe stuff to follow his class, but he gives you a really good intro to photoshop, director, flash, and dreamweaver.

Shameless Enabler

Dudironimis
Its the website to my current graphic design teacher. You'll need The Adobe stuff to follow his class, but he gives you a really good intro to photoshop, director, flash, and dreamweaver.
Dreamweaver? Really?
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
Dreamweaver? Really?

I know. He thinks it's amazing because you don't have to write much code. When he does any code it's not great. Like using <center> instead of using CSS. Also uses other depreciated things like <b> and <i>. Still doesn't change the fact that he knows what he's doing in graphic design...from a technical standpoint.

Shameless Enabler

Dudironimis
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
Dreamweaver? Really?

I know. He thinks it's amazing because you don't have to write much code. When he does any code it's not great. Like using <center> instead of using CSS. Also uses other depreciated things like <b> and <i>. Still doesn't change the fact that he knows what he's doing in graphic design...from a technical standpoint.
How bizarre. I suppose coming from a design background it might be easier for him, but I feel bad for the students who may be considering web design as a career and don't know any better than to use a WYSIWYG because of his class. Full-time web design becomes much more efficient working with code than any program like Dreamweaver (and you can forget Dreamweaver if you're considering any web development anyway).
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
Dreamweaver? Really?

How bizarre. I suppose coming from a design background it might be easier for him, but I feel bad for the students who may be considering web design as a career and don't know any better than to use a WYSIWYG because of his class. Full-time web design becomes much more efficient working with code than any program like Dreamweaver (and you can forget Dreamweaver if you're considering any web development anyway).
There's an HTML/CSS class at the college with an option to take a class in jquery/javascript and one in rational database design after, so i think they'd take those before taking dreamweaver seriously.
Don't ask why they lumped together jquery and javascript but gave database design it's own class. It doesn't make sense to ke either.

Sparkly Lunatic

Dudironimis
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
Dreamweaver? Really?

There's an HTML/CSS class at the college with an option to take a class in jquery/javascript and one in rational database design after, so i think they'd take those before taking dreamweaver seriously.
Don't ask why they lumped together jquery and javascript but gave database design it's own class. It doesn't make sense to ke either.

That's not at all strange. Javascript can be taught in a single (albeit big) class, but adding database design and it just gets too big, because good database design is deceptively hard.

In fact, my uni has 3 distinct database classes...

Shameless Enabler

Dudironimis
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
nouveau sereph
Dudironimis
Dreamweaver? Really?

jQuery is just applied Javascript. I'd just hope the class isn't too jQuery heavy, because knowing jQuery but not knowing Javascript well is a sore deficiency in knowledge. You can't effectively use jQuery without at least a passing understanding of the Javascript beneath it.

5,100 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Photoshop is really easy to grasp really quickly. If you understand the Adobe structure in photoshop, then you will understand illustrator and Indesign a lot more quickly.
Ryuke Dragon
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neon_Dinosaurs x3
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neon_Dinosaurs x3
I use Photoshop but, it doesn't always have to be expensive if you know what I mean. emotion_dealwithit
Don't suggest piracy, it's against the rules o the forum.
I didn't suggest anything. I just asked if she understood what I meant.The word piracy is nowhere.
Implying is also stupid. Well done.

>implying the only cheaper way to get something is to steal it

>implying that it takes less intelligence to say something without saying it than to just blurt it out.
As does Photoshop Express

Elder

Lanackse-Kanvae

If you go to http://www.academicsuperstore.com/students and buy an adobe product from there, all you have to do to buy it is provide a copy of your school ID.

You can also provide ANY of the following as proof (you only need ONE of these) :
College Students/Parents
•Instant Online Verification
•Current Student ID
•Course Schedule
•Registration Receipt for this semester
•Letter of Enrollment on school letterhead
K12 Student/Parents
•Report Card
•Student ID
•Registration Receipt
•Letter of Enrollment on school letterhead
Teachers, Faculty, Staff
•Link to your faculty web page
•Faculty ID
•Letter of Employment on school letterhead
•Pay Stub (cross out confidential information)
Home School Students/Parents
•Membership in Home School Association
•Receipt for Home School Curriculum
•Letter of intent to home school from a state agency
School Districts, Colleges, Universities
•Your Purchase Order
Nonprofit Organizations
•Copy of IRS 501(c)3 form
•IRS letter stating you are a 501(c)3

I buy all my educational discount software through academic superstore and I've never had any problems. Also it's usually the best deal on their site for some reason (Or at least it was circa 2007).
illville
nouveau sereph
A lot of people will probably suggest Photoshop, which is fine, but extremely expensive unless you're willing to settle for older versions. I am not. On Windows I used, almost exclusively, Paint.NET, which is free and has everything bar vector text, which is my only legitimate complaint about the program. On Mac I use an app called Acorn, which is about $50 and is pretty great. There's another app called Pixelmator, also, for $30 which is apparently better, but I've yet to use it. Your mileage may vary, both have trial versions.

Your last big name option is probably The GIMP, which is great if you like punishing yourself for wanting nice things. You can put it in your self-flagellation kit, right alongside your barbed whip and electrified butt plug, and enjoy a great night in not enjoying yourself.

Thanks a bunch, I think I'll pass on GIMP though xD

Fair. It's awful.

But don't underestimate Inkscape. It's actually quite powerful and much less of a mess than the GIMP.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff