Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Lunatic

I'm interested in knowing what programs you started with or any books you would suggest I read.

I'm starting to feel around the world of graphic design, and am looking for some good stepping stones.

Shameless Enabler

A lot of people will probably suggest Photoshop, which is fine, but extremely expensive unless you're willing to settle for older versions. I am not. On Windows I used, almost exclusively, Paint.NET, which is free and has everything bar vector text, which is my only legitimate complaint about the program. On Mac I use an app called Acorn, which is about $50 and is pretty great. There's another app called Pixelmator, also, for $30 which is apparently better, but I've yet to use it. Your mileage may vary, both have trial versions.

Your last big name option is probably The GIMP, which is great if you like punishing yourself for wanting nice things. You can put it in your self-flagellation kit, right alongside your barbed whip and electrified butt plug, and enjoy a great night in not enjoying yourself.

Shirtless Lunatic

nouveau sereph
A lot of people will probably suggest Photoshop, which is fine, but extremely expensive unless you're willing to settle for older versions. I am not. On Windows I used, almost exclusively, Paint.NET, which is free and has everything bar vector text, which is my only legitimate complaint about the program. On Mac I use an app called Acorn, which is about $50 and is pretty great. There's another app called Pixelmator, also, for $30 which is apparently better, but I've yet to use it. Your mileage may vary, both have trial versions.

Your last big name option is probably The GIMP, which is great if you like punishing yourself for wanting nice things. You can put it in your self-flagellation kit, right alongside your barbed whip and electrified butt plug, and enjoy a great night in not enjoying yourself.

Thanks a bunch, I think I'll pass on GIMP though xD

Lunatic

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
I use Photoshop but, it doesn't always have to be expensive if you know what I mean. emotion_dealwithit

Shameless Dabbler

Neon_Dinosaurs x3
I use Photoshop but, it doesn't always have to be expensive if you know what I mean. emotion_dealwithit
Don't suggest piracy, it's against the rules o the forum.

@OP:I use the GIMP, it's not too bad, but it really depends on what you want in an image program. Try it once, what do you have to lose?

Lunatic

11,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neon_Dinosaurs x3
I didn't suggest anything. I just asked if she understood what I meant.The word piracy is nowhere.

Shameless Dabbler

Neon_Dinosaurs x3
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neon_Dinosaurs x3
I didn't suggest anything. I just asked if she understood what I meant.The word piracy is nowhere.
Implying is also stupid. Well done.

Dangerous Trader

Final Fantasy Bandit
Neon_Dinosaurs x3
Final Fantasy Bandit
Neon_Dinosaurs x3
Implying is also stupid. Well done.

>implying the only cheaper way to get something is to steal it
Educational Discount comes to mind

>implying that it takes less intelligence to say something without saying it than to just blurt it out.

Sparkly Lunatic

Ryuke Dragon

THIS.

The adobe Education discounts are so good that you can pick up the entire Adobe suite for less then the retail price of photoshop on it's own.

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
trezoid
Ryuke Dragon

THIS.

The adobe Education discounts are so good that you can pick up the entire Adobe suite for less then the retail price of photoshop on it's own.

Unfortunately their checks are damned stringent. The discounts require a ".ac.uk" email address at least in the UK they do. I think they just have .ac for the USA but either way you WILL require an email address from an academic institution in order to qualify.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff