Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120426/14505718671/insanity-cispa-just-got-way-worse-then-passed-rushed-vote.shtmltle

Quote:
Up until this afternoon, the final vote on CISPA was supposed to be tomorrow. Then, abruptly, it was moved up today—and the House voted in favor of its passage with a vote of 248-168. But that's not even the worst part....

Previously, CISPA allowed the government to use information for "cybersecurity" or "national security" purposes. Those purposes have not been limited or removed. Instead, three more valid uses have been added: investigation and prosecution of cybersecurity crime, protection of individuals, and protection of children. Cybersecurity crime is defined as any crime involving network disruption or hacking, plus any violation of the CFAA.

So much for all the protests over the other bills. No word on how the Senate will deal with this or how they'll add John McCain's alternative bill to the mix. Some news reports today on Yahoo claim the White House will veto this if it makes it that far.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

How did 248 idiots get elected into Congress?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPmyteAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wDKgH/3LrMJGknS9FmTZX6nAVO5Z7
nWNs2oLFxpzzAD3clTGv9Pjvgbokr/81Sx4Scv3UOi3dqhlMFb3GXZAMJg1Aj/n+
NRBGBP71xnhA2kERHFMe+j8l0lhBVhd09OBKySisw3//OvPuPfO+AjzIyFcroQfx
UvoqKjPXLljNR+Lv8Q8g+Q3Nx1nXt0lLGegJSxzghYyx1ZLEsR3pTPKL3c61mD9D
gDX9hT+gm3AQOv1ZQxhSYP62BdSAJb7R8lLM3ZehBjdS9rYFTF0JYKnl/90eZF6L
9M0IJr2gD/9TjfDinQdljrcHEWRL0Z4xJWY+39/pVmLYxWm5wehbQ67V90mOfGk=
=BWNj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Shameless Enabler

Isn't there an expectation that Obama will veto it? If so, could it be resubmitted under a different name, or will it just be blacklisted as a topic of discussion?

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
nouveau sereph
Isn't there an expectation that Obama will veto it? If so, could it be resubmitted under a different name, or will it just be blacklisted as a topic of discussion?

The current opinion based on the president's track record on resisting unpopular bills is that he'll likely fold if the Senate goes along with the House.

The ball is in the Senate now. If you live in the US and are of voting age, you need to contact your state senators at once. Call, fax or e-mail their offices.

/edit

Late Friday afternoon, the White House press representative repeated the President's statement that he will veto the bill. Let's hope he keeps his word this time.
Sitwon
With $5m each.
Yeah, i wouldn't call them idiots. They know exactly what they're doing and they know exactly who's paying their bills (and it's not us).
javecantrell
Yeah, i wouldn't call them idiots. They know exactly what they're doing and they know exactly who's paying their bills (and it's not us).
No, I wouldn't say they know what they're doing. All they know is that they need campaign financing money. So, they spend all their time raising it.

The bills they put forward... well, they never actually read them. Someone else writes it for them, and they extort lobbyists to give it to them. Then, they put it forward and vote for it. They have no ******** clue what's in it.
psychic stalker
javecantrell
No, I wouldn't say they know what they're doing. All they know is that they need campaign financing money. So, they spend all their time raising it.

The bills they put forward... well, they never actually read them. Someone else writes it for them, and they extort lobbyists to give it to them. Then, they put it forward and vote for it. They have no ******** clue what's in it.

That's like you saying you don't know how to drive a car if you don't understand how much your SUV is polluting the air. They know what they're doing, cashing checks and trading favors with their rich buddies. Some probably even know the consequences of those decisions, but most don't care. But they understand the game they're participating in very well (they aren't idiots).

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

javecantrell
psychic stalker
javecantrell

That's like you saying you don't know how to drive a car if you don't understand how much your SUV is polluting the air. They know what they're doing, cashing checks and trading favors with their rich buddies. Some probably even know the consequences of those decisions, but most don't care. But they understand the game they're participating in very well (they aren't idiots).
In that case, it's a matter of perspective. They may "know what they're doing" with regards to serving the interests of their donors, but I disagree with their decision to play that game so I still think they're making the wrong choice.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJPm/8ZAAoJEMco5sYyM+0wkHwIAMET1JvVFng4x0HYe67Oj5zS
ba8fWFK/0F6vHCj9qoxMxz7XE1q1THUduEo7qFbpL0Uq6Mvq3BlimIy14Bdlr7KW
Aa079srD6ZcDUqjuDzjBnU8F6jidFqa8Hvsjih1xxUBXxaYYR0evoOnxAKdnkwr+
AFlk2ZWo+SisPUzlmDFLpkwdKMTSb9JoVqaZspmy8J6GmshcCtnd7qL6CQYBPXNk
eL+9i6rDao/Ejy6UwRBzF3k+iqvTHWNFitEZiFpRDhmbFvjddSrnVoCWuymgIyLW
seR4xppi/AduZ/j8a4t5ens3MJl5KdHfoenJ7CeFEDiBHqNKoRZl+0YCc5Sq6o8=
=9Hvj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
javecantrell
psychic stalker
javecantrell

That's like you saying you don't know how to drive a car if you don't understand how much your SUV is polluting the air.
No, I'd say it's more like saying they think they know how to drive a car because they bought it from a "nice guy," even though they're clinically blind and shouldn't be driving in the first place.
javecantrell
They know what they're doing, cashing checks and trading favors with their rich buddies. Some probably even know the consequences of those decisions, but most don't care. But they understand the game they're participating in very well (they aren't idiots).
Yes, and they should be removed from office for doing it. We need a big upset - the people need to stand up and demand that these asshats step down.
I just think they're smarter than we're giving them credit for. It's dangerous to consider them idiots who are being played by the industry. I think they're embedded in those industries, have vested interest in those industries, and have significant donors from those industries. I think fundamentally we all agree they should all be removed, I just think we shouldn't mistake greed for stupidity. I think it allows them to excuse themselves based on an ignorance I don't feel they necessarily have.
javecantrell
I just think they're smarter than we're giving them credit for. It's dangerous to consider them idiots who are being played by the industry. I think they're embedded in those industries, have vested interest in those industries, and have significant donors from those industries. I think fundamentally we all agree they should all be removed, I just think we shouldn't mistake greed for stupidity. I think it allows them to excuse themselves based on an ignorance I don't feel they necessarily have.
I suppose that's where we differ: I consider greed and indifference to be forms of stupidity.
psychic stalker
I suppose that's where we differ: I consider greed and indifference to be forms of stupidity.

Fair enough, either way I hope they live an empty existence.
Sitwon
Is this a trick question?

Hallowed Lunatic

13,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Sitwon

The same way that there are so many unsuitably assigned promotions/bonuses in so many employment sectors? Either they sucked c**k or licked boots.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff