Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/06/07/text.messaging.records.ap/index.html

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A few hours after NBA star Kobe Bryant had sex with a Vail-area hotel worker last summer, the woman exchanged cell phone text messages with a former boyfriend and someone else.

What's in those messages could help determine whether the sex was consensual or whether Bryant is guilty of rape as charged. The judge himself said the content may be "highly relevant" to the case.

That the judge could order the woman's cell phone company to produce the messages so long after they were sent shouldn't surprise anyone, analysts say.

Texters beware. Like e-mail and Internet instant messages, text messages tend to be saved on servers...

I was actually naive enough to believe that once a text message was deleted off a phone, it was gone forever. This has opened my eyes. eek
Sango-sama1977

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A few hours after NBA star Kobe Bryant had sex with a Vail-area hotel worker last summer, the woman exchanged cell phone text messages with a former boyfriend and someone else.

What's in those messages could help determine whether the sex was consensual or whether Bryant is guilty of rape as charged. The judge himself said the content may be "highly relevant" to the case.

That the judge could order the woman's cell phone company to produce the messages so long after they were sent shouldn't surprise anyone, analysts say.

Texters beware. Like e-mail and Internet instant messages, text messages tend to be saved on servers...

I was actually naive enough to believe that once a text message was deleted off a phone, it was gone forever. This has opened my eyes. eek

The main lesson here being if you've done something Illegal or are accusing someone of doing something illegal don't go and tell people about it through any medium other then face to face. And even then its pretty stupid, to share sensative information like that.
B_type13
Sango-sama1977

The main lesson here being if you've done something Illegal or are accusing someone of doing something illegal don't go and tell people about it through any medium other then face to face. And even then its pretty stupid, to share sensative information like that.

Do we expect to find inteligent people in the media?

we should but every time i start expecting it im sadly didapointed.
yes that is true, texts are saved into servers, aktough you cant recall them from your phone after deleting it, its still there
Solution:

Encrypt all digital transmissions you make ^.^
*sigh* Is somebody going to add that big brother is watching you? I'm not really suprized that they are being logged at all, after all most transmissions are. Ahha, sucks for Kobe.
I think that Text Messaging is stupid. A phone is for talking, not pressing buttons to send a message to someone. That's what an IM program is for.
Why are my posts disapearing, i posted here twice at least.
Cypher Punk
Why are my posts disapearing, i posted here twice at least.

Server glitch? offtopic?
maybe we should send binary messages with our handphones xp
Privacy? What is this "privacy" you speak of? Privacy and anonymity are just illusions. Honestly, I'm not surprised something like this would happen. xd

Eh, I don't even completely trust face to face. I've known some people who have severe cases of "diapoopus of the blowhole." sweatdrop Tell them anything in confidence and everyone will know it soon after.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
Arden Zeal
Privacy? What is this "privacy" you speak of? Privacy and anonymity are just illusions. Honestly, I'm not surprised something like this would happen. xd

Eh, I don't even completely trust face to face. I've known some people who have severe cases of "diapoopus of the blowhole." sweatdrop Tell them anything in confidence and everyone will know it soon after.

I hate people like that, especially the types who stab you in the back and get you busted.
nicotine
I think that Text Messaging is stupid. A phone is for talking, not pressing buttons to send a message to someone. That's what an IM program is for.

Ehh, most IM programs aren't mobile.
I'll take a message (2p) to let someone know I'll be late over a phone call (~15p) or a call to their voicemail (10p) anyway.
nicotine

When I travel, if I'm 'roaming', it's $0.63 per minute to talk. Sending a text message costs $0.10. When all I'm doing is telling a friend who's attending the same event, "Going to panel in room 4A, out at 1:30", it is FAR more cost effective to do it as a text message.

It has its place.

-V
NinaV
When I travel, if I'm 'roaming', it's $0.63 per minute to talk. Sending a text message costs $0.10. When all I'm doing is telling a friend who's attending the same event, "Going to panel in room 4A, out at 1:30", it is FAR more cost effective to do it as a text message.

It has its place.

What's annoying though is those who use it for spamming... *grumbles* SMS spam is bloody annoying... As for usefulness in an anime conference, hell yeah. That's how I found friends last year at Animethon. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff