Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've gone through a good portion of my life knowing that I have above average computer skills. Lately I've been trying to figure out why this is. What is it that makes me a good computer user? What makes me able too adapt and my mom is still stuck in the stone age?

I figured it out eventually. As my boyfriend phrased it, I'm able to think like the computer. I can open up a new program and have a pretty good idea what sort of menu or option I'm looking fo in order to do what I want to do.

Now that we've figured this out, I have a confession. I'm no computer expert. Most of my friends are better than I am, but that's just the sort of people I surround myself with. But I still have a hope of being able to improve because I have the will to learn.

A few questions for you: What do you think makes a good computer user? What can I do to improve? I have a CD that's supposed to teach me Basic, I looked at it once and never touched it again; Should I give it a try?
Some people are really good at math because they can easily memorize things. I don't think any one factor plays a role in being a 'good computer user'. You have to have somewhat of an interest as well as a willingness to learn it. We grew up with it as you said, whereas our parents might not have. My dad has a hella hard time learning it, mainly because he's not used to it. It's a little harder to learn things when you get older in general. If you think the CD can help you at all, then watch it, if anything i'm sure it will cover a few things you didn't previously know.
I'm the same way.

My family got two computers.. my mom used one, and I used the other. She was afraid of messing it up.... where I wasn't. I fiddled with that computer until the cows came home. I'm not sure if I "think" like the computer.. but I have a pretty good idea of what's going on. If it's my computer, I have no worries about throwing myself in headfirst to get things figured out.
IMO what makes a good computer user is simply an interest in them....some people suck at working with computers, why? because they just dont want to be good at it....btu that is not always true, at times, it is a matter of a person intelligence....if someone's not intelligent enough to be good at working with computers...well obviously he wont be able to....but as for the average person...it's all a matter of whether or not they like using them....me, well ive been a computer junkie since i first got used to them...age 4....considering my mom used to be a computer teacher...that kinda increased my chance of becoming well adapted with computers....

...and as for improvement....it all depends on the way you learn things...like for people who learn easily through simply reading, read trouble shoots and manuals, etc...but dont forget to try new things on your computer....reading wont always do it for ye...

and for the Basic...well now that is up to just whether or not ye really want to learn it....if ye don't wanna learn it...sell the cd....give it away...it dont matter, as long as you dont just keep it and not use it....if Basic doesnt Interest ye, try other programming languages... 3nodding
Hmm. People are good at computers in different ways, and for different reasons. If you aren't interest in the computer, you're not going to be good at it. If you treat it like a person, you aren't going to get very far. Probably the most common element in how people are good at computers is that they understand the kind of logic the computer uses, as well as the chaos involved. I know that if you're good at foreign languages, you can pick up programming pretty easily. Other than that, it's different for everyone. 3nodding

Remember that everyone is on a different level. I know you really don't, but don't feel bad that people are better than you, because there will always be people like that. As for you improving, that's always possible/probable. I can't imagine you hitting some sort of glass ceiling.

By the way, intelligence has almost nothing to do with computers. My mother is at least as intelligent as I am, but she's almost completely computer illiterate. It depends on the person, not the person's IQ.
Levels of Computer Users.

n00b - knows how to turn on and off the computer. has never seen anything inside the windows folder. only uses common apps and uses only IE to browse the net... doesn't even try to get any open source programs...
pecks at the keyboard. content with computers like compaqs. get's a heart attack when an error message pops up

Normal - A little advanced. Can change the look of the computer and make it theirs. Has problems dealing with error messages, but manages to get through it. Ususally flubbs somehting with windows at one point. Still uses only IE and pecks at the keyboard.

Advanced - Very good with the computer. Knows basic computing skills. Has used some other web browser other than IE. Actually updates windows. Almost never flubbs their computer. Can deal with most errors. Either pecks or types correctly.

Genius - Has uses more than one OS. Always tinkering with settings, trying to get to computer mecca. Has and experiment harddrive for OS experiments. Knows a bit of coding. Can type like... a million miles an hour. Knows the OS inside and out. Has a computer with an open case for quick "fixes."

Yeah... THen you have sub catagories. I wont' go into that.
Garbage Man
He has, "the knack".
notice i said that if they aren't intelligent enough, they wouldn't be able too...but the factor involving that of the generation gap is not due to intelligence but interest, considering that we grew up with computers, therefore we are more likely to find interest in them, rather than our parents, in which most probably, they din't have access to computer growing up....you see, you took my statement in the wrong way...how well do you think a person with an IQ, less than average, would fare trying to use computers...forgive me...i just woke up...im still kinda cranky sweatdrop
Stealth Moose
Garbage Man
He has, "the knack".

hehe, Dilbert quote, right? smile
J, I wasn't really arguing with you. sweatdrop

I remember that. The knack. xd
*May be a double post, sorry if it is*

I'm a bad computer user. I go mucking about in my registry without backing it up, I don't mind editing config files by memory, i've hotswapped harddrives in windows95, I've had 2 power supplies discharge into me, i've dropped a harddrive from 20 feet, then installed an os on it, my computer still doesn't have a side panel, I've hit friends with keyboards, then continued typing on them, I've put out cigarettes on my keyboard when I was pissed. Don't be a "bad user" like me.
i remember watching that episode...heh...i think im classified under "advanced"... crying ...im sooo happpyy.... xd
Kitsuta
J, I wasn't really arguing with you. sweatdrop

I remember that. The knack. xd

s'alright sweatdrop
Twistex
*May be a double post, sorry if it is*

I'm a bad computer user. I go mucking about in my registry without backing it up, I don't mind editing config files by memory, i've hotswapped harddrives in windows95, I've had 2 power supplies discharge into me, i've dropped a harddrive from 20 feet, then installed an os on it, my computer still doesn't have a side panel, I've hit friends with keyboards, then continued typing on them, I've put out cigarettes on my keyboard when I was pissed. Don't be a "bad user" like me.

Holy craphell, Twistex. eek
Baisic is fun for writing small programs, nut yer better off having a person teach u. Ive been learning it in school and its ok and is a nice easy language to start on cause u learn all about if's and loops and stuff, plus u can get the wizzards to do a lot of the stuff for u.

I suppose, being round computers a lot and learning all the little things u can do makes u a better user, i mean i use computers like its my secound nature, but im no genius. I ve found a good cure for most problems like errors, which is keep clicking till it goes away...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff