Welcome to Gaia! ::

Got the same problem?

Yes, and I really hope they fix it soon, it's very annoying. =/ 0.41972920696325 42.0% [ 1736 ]
Yes, but I could care less if they fix it or not. It doesn't bother me. 0.1071083172147 10.7% [ 443 ]
No, but it sounds like something that needs to be fixed. 0.24347195357834 24.3% [ 1007 ]
No, and I don't care if they fix it or not for you users who DO have the problem. 0.051982591876209 5.2% [ 215 ]
Ditto. 0.1777079303675 17.8% [ 735 ]
Total Votes:[ 4136 ]
<<< << < 1 2 ... 194 195 196

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Friendly Citizen

HyruleanHero
I agree completely with you. This has been going on for months, and something needs to be done about it.
Years actually.
I can't remember when Gaia *hasn't* given false positives in the my topics and subscribed areas.

Generally, I just get used to them, but I can see why people would get annoyed if they have a lot of normally fast moving threads.

But seriously, since '06.
It's a bit old for a bug, i'm pretty sure it's not, actually.

I can force it to happen by deleting cookies, which means it's data stored in your browser. Not on gaia.

Maybe there is a way to make your cookies more reliable? The first post mentioned saving data in separate servers, but that's not at all feasible. That means watching and storing and tracking all user activity over all time. you just... can't.

Browsers *can* for a limited time on a single user basis, but even that eventually falls through in just a few days, hence this bug report.

Friendly Citizen

Oh jezus.

I just looked back several pages. It's like watching Forest Gump. "Run!"

You'll need to find a way to mod your browser and how it handles unused cookies if you'd like to stop this issue.
At that rate it will only fix it for you.

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300
Adorkable Monster
Oh jezus.

You'll need to find a way to mod your browser and how it handles unused cookies if you'd like to stop this issue.

I wouldn't even know where to begin figuring out how to do that. I just keep hoping that there's a better way for the site to keep track of it without having to go through that much trouble to handle it on my end.

Friendly Citizen

HyruleanHero
Adorkable Monster
Oh jezus.

I wouldn't even know where to begin figuring out how to do that. I just keep hoping that there's a better way for the site to keep track of it without having to go through that much trouble to handle it on my end.
You could go bugger your browser Devs to fix it then. razz

Here, I've been looking into cookies a bit more:
Your browser generates cookies so that it can faster load web pages that you have already been to. To save space and speed up the browser, your browser will release 'unimportant' cookies like it's going out of style.

Aka, to any web page you haven't opened in a few days because no one has replied.

Gaia doesn't have the raw server resources to deal with the data management for every account, IF that's possible, and even if they did (and considering we currently crash/bug out over loyal's shop/guild, we're not at all),tracking and storing everyone past and current activity down to the letter is what it'd likely require. Again IF, that'd be flipping creepy. <This may be a false fact paragraph, but that's how I could think to code a tracker.

Go look on Reddit, though. If you find a slow enough Sub you'll see it does the same thing with remarking threads as unread. I imagine Reddit is using the same type of set up with cookie caches. It's looking more and more like it's not Gaia behind this 'bug' the more I search.

I need to go test on other forum/blog websites and see if there are exceptions. Then I can investigate how they may be handling their data that would make this cookie reliance moot.

Please assist in testing other forums if you can. It's likely my data may be Biased by my google search wording preferences and other factors. For Science~ yum_puddi

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff