Welcome to Gaia! ::

Got the same problem?

Yes, and I really hope they fix it soon, it's very annoying. =/ 0.41972920696325 42.0% [ 1736 ]
Yes, but I could care less if they fix it or not. It doesn't bother me. 0.1071083172147 10.7% [ 443 ]
No, but it sounds like something that needs to be fixed. 0.24347195357834 24.3% [ 1007 ]
No, and I don't care if they fix it or not for you users who DO have the problem. 0.051982591876209 5.2% [ 215 ]
Ditto. 0.1777079303675 17.8% [ 735 ]
Total Votes:[ 4136 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 194 195 196 > >> >>> »|

Quotable Seeker

Want to support this thread?
THIS IS NOT A PETITION. Read carefully:

HyruleanHero
Bumping ≠ supporting. Bumping is only for moving a topic back to the first page of a forum. The only exception is in the Chatterbox forum. Now, the only means of support in all forums, except for Chatterbox, are stating that you support, or can offer help to a topic and clicking on the User Image button in the top-left area of a topic.

Please note, voting this topic up would be giving it a thumbs up, so if you support this thread, be sure to do so as often as possible.
^^
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem is that each new time I sign in after signing off for a few hours or so, and then check my "Subscribed Threads" and "My Topics", every single thread (in both sections) says there's new posts. Including the threads of which have not had any new posts in months, and there still ARE no new posts, but it says there are anyways. I don't think there really is any way for me to explain how this problem happened. It just does, and it's VERY annoying and inconvenient. I was simply checking my thread subscriptions and topics and bam, it says there's new posts when there are none.
This problem is also occurring in the "My Posts" section. Even though you can only be sure that there are no new posts when it says there is in this particular section is to go see for yourself - it is still very inconvenient for other users and needs to be fixed.

Screenshots --

"Thread Subscriptions" ( Keep an eye on "Furry Pervs of Gaia" ):
[x] [x] [x]

"My Topics" ( Keep an eye on the dates and times on each post ):
[x] [x] [x]

The computer used when the problem occurred (the only computer I use, that is) is an Acer Aspire 5315-2290 notebook, and I have tested this problem using an Acer desktop as well. This problem is also occurring on other users Dell computers, Macintosh, HP Laptops, and Toshiba laptops, according to statements from them in this thread.
My Operating System is Windows Vista Home Premium. Other users who have this problem use Windows XP, and Windows 98..

My Web Browser is Firefox - though according to other users who do not use Firefox, the problem is still occurring. Another user with this problem states that they are using Internet Explorer.

This problem is very irritating and inconvenient to me because I have to keep an eye on my petitions, so when I see that it says there's new posts, then I look at when the last post was, it confuses me but I check anyway to make sure. I shouldn't have to do that.

Also, Gaia Online has often been considered a giant RP forum. Thus there must be many RPers who subscribe to the threads they participate in. Imagine, some may have well over several threads of which they are subscribed to and yet when they check them it often says there's new posts when there is not. Mods of Gaia, I believe that this topic is important and deserves to be fixed very soon. It is owed to the Gaian community, as a role playing website. I have yet to meet one Gaian that does not RP in some sort on here. Whether it be the serious and more literate RPers, the simple minded who write short simple posts to describe their actions, or the mediums who do somewhat both now and then. Not all Gaians use these features, but I'm sure many do. Thus, as I previously said. It is owed to the Gaian community to fix this problem.

If there is any kind of information that someone thinks should be pointed out or added to the first post, please let me know.

Possible problem identification?

HyruleanHero
I've started to think this might be a cache- or cookies-related problem. How I figured that much out was by clearing my cache, and I think cookies as well, on my Google Chrome, then when I logged back into Gaia, I noticed all those topics had the New Posts look to them, as well as the topics in the forum. Maybe Gaia is for some reason updating the cookies for forums in a way that creates this problem. They probably don't notice it because it takes hours before the cookies update and reset the New Post icon.

Lanzer
Yes currently there is a limitation of how the system works with cookies that are only valid on a per computer basis. Having the data stored in our server is something we'll get to. It's one of those last things that were still being saved in cookies.

Here's his post for proof: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-community-discussion/ask-the-admin-05-04-2009/t.49650843_61/#61
I sign that it should be fixed

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300
Wow, I always thought of making a thread just like this, because I've noticed the exact same thing for as long as I've been using the forums. I do notice that occasionally, if you refresh, the "false positives", as they can be called, go away.

Quotable Seeker

HyruleanHero
Wow, I always thought of making a thread just like this, because I've noticed the exact same thing for as long as I've been using the forums. I do notice that occasionally, if you refresh, the "false positives", as they can be called, go away.
There's only one boy in
this world who can make
all my troubles disappear. . .

I've never tried that.

~tries~

Nope, nothing.

Even if it DOES work for some people, we shouldn't have to refresh it either.

He makes me much stronger
and able to believe more. . .
I love you with all my heart, Sori.

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300
I agree completely with you. This has been going on for months, and something needs to be done about it.

Quotable Seeker

HyruleanHero
I agree completely with you. This has been going on for months, and something needs to be done about it.
There's only one boy in
this world who can make
all my troubles disappear. . .

Thanks for your support.
=3

He makes me much stronger
and able to believe more. . .
I love you with all my heart, Sori.

iCheru's Waifu

Tipsy Elocutionist

10,400 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I agree~ I've got the same problem too and it drives me NUTS. D:

I roleplay a LOT, and to have that happening is both an irritation and a letdown. ><

Plz do sumfink aboot it Gaiyuh modz?

I give j00 kookeez. :3

Supportive Regular

17,925 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Conventioneer 300

Quotable Seeker

HyruleanHero
*bumping to support this topic*
There's only one boy in
this world who can make