Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fix BBCode errors

Yes 0.97777777777778 97.8% [ 264 ]
No 0.022222222222222 2.2% [ 6 ]
Total Votes:[ 270 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 23 24 > >>

The way Gaia handles BBCode right now is badly broken, and it has not been improving in the last three years or so. The recent troubles with the quote tag were fixed, yes, but the "fixes" introduced a significant number of new problems, and several other problems have either gotten worse or remained unfixed.

On that note, the word filter is badly broken as well, making it harder to discuss HTML and JavaScript in C&T, as well as causing confusing and undesirable alterations to certain snippets of text, and most of this is related, devs have told me, to the XSS protection.

A rewrite is overdue.

Some examples of what's wrong:
  • URLs not preceded or followed by whitespace, at the beginning or end of a post, or beginning or end of a quote are not detected by the parser for auto-linking. See Sonic's post below for an example of the problem.
  • A double-quote immediately before a right-paren are parsed into a " followed by a wink
  • Inside code tags, semicolons immediately following a right-paren are stripped. This makes sharing C, C++, PHP, Java, or similar code impossible on Gaia.
  • Backslashes are improperly stripped or unquoted. No one can type a Windows path without all of the pathnames getting scrunched together. C-style escape characters (like backslash-n and friends) are also unquoted improperly.
  • Unclosed tags break quotes.
  • Prematurely-closed quotes break posts.
  • Excessively-nested quotes break browsers. (I think someone demonstrated that a couple years ago with 31 nested quote tags.)
  • The words window, expression, Javascript, applet, and several others are redacted if they are followed by a : or period in certain conditions. If they're in "quotes," backslashes appear. I realize the reason for this is to prevent cross-site scripting attacks, but in this here Real World we live in, it's not only not doing that, but is "fighting" an "enemy" that doesn't exist and can't exist when the text is being properly escaped and handled (which it isn't - at all - right now.)
  • HTML in code tags are inappropriately mangled with ampersands. They should only be passed through a html_entities_encode(), not whatever is done to them now.
  • On that note, most HTML entities are mangled or destroyed in whatever process is being done to them. The only one that seems to be preserved correctly is "&" though it gets inappropriately "unencoded" in many cases.
  • Any percent sign followed by at least two letters or numbers gets stripped, mangled, or "URL-decoded." This makes it impossible to discuss Windows or DOS-style environment variables.
  • A parenthetical statement that happens to end in 8 is inappropriately turned into a smiley. (This is easy to fix if you write an actual parser instead of just doing regex matching, and has been a problem since long before 200 cool
  • URLs that the URL matching correctly detect are incorrectly wrapped with url tags when inside code tags.
  • Code tags strip leading whitespace. They should behave like <pre>, not as they do now. This makes it impossible to discuss Python programs (for which whitespace is significant) and makes sharing snippets of Haskell code inconvenient (since they have to be one-liners or use the ugly brace syntax).
  • Code tags in the journal are completely unstyled, in addition to the above problems.
  • Several tags break when nested. For example, bold italics.
  • The supposed XSS protection is not. It "protects" against attacks that are not possible, "fixes" problems that don't exist, while real holes are left wide open for any intelligent scammer to exploit.

I could probably go on for days, but this is just off the top of my head, and just what I've encountered in C&T.

Time/effort requirements: Rewriting this parser should take a single competent developer no more than about 2 weeks. This includes both the time to implement a proper lookahead parser and AST, as well as the implementation of the syntax itself, for both BBCode and smilies. (And while they're at it, adding the capability to disable smilies for a given post.)

Dedicated Man-Lover

10,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/spring-cleaning-proposals/fix-smilies-and-the-code-tags/t.62741935/

:o
Sonic Offline
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/spring-cleaning-proposals/fix-smilies-and-the-code-tags/t.62741935/

:o
Thanks for demonstrating one of the worse bugs, anyway.

Lonely Man-Lover

User ImagexXxGothic PhilanthropistxXx

I agree with this... also I would like to see all bbcode available not only certain parts of it. ex: Shadow, glow, tables, monotext, opacity, marquee, and others

xXxIs My BitchxXx
xXxBlood is my CandyxXx
I agree with this... also I would like to see all bbcode available not only certain parts of it. ex: Shadow, glow, tables, monotext, opacity, marquee, and others
Except for marquee, I think I could get behind that, as well.

Lonely Man-Lover

psychic stalker
xXxBlood is my CandyxXx
I think I could do without the marquee, but I think It would be cool to use in Rps and giveaways and other things to help spruce it up.
xXxBlood is my CandyxXx
psychic stalker
xXxBlood is my CandyxXx
I think I could do without the marquee, but I think It would be cool to use in Rps and giveaways and other things to help spruce it up.
Honestly, marquee was a bad idea when Microsoft introduced it 15 years ago, and it's a bad idea now. Just as bad as Netscape's blink tag.
Bump because it bugs the hell out of me.

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Contributor 150
I agree 100%.

The code tags are so badly broken that they are essentially useless.
I don't know anything about the code, as I'm not well-versed in programming languages or whatever. But, just from looking around this forum, I have seen that there are a million problems with Gaia's BBCode.

I support every ounce of this.
Wanna keep this on the front page for a while.

Lonely Man-Lover

bump

xXxIs My BitchxXx
Supported. The code is s**t.

Lonely Man-Lover

You should put Proposal in front of the title so this actually gets some recognition!

xXxIs My BitchxXx
xXxBlood is my CandyxXx
You should put Proposal in front of the title so this actually gets some recognition!
Good point. Done.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces