• Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
purrrplekitty
lucystar
@kitty: thank u *huggles back*

whee

nice event u running Kitty, everyone loves the pets

Shy Kitten

❀ thank you, so glad everyone likes it. gonna go eat dinner and watch some tv, be back laters about 11ish est. ❀

10,825 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
I hope you got to enjoy your dinner

Shy Kitten

Sparkly Lunatic

I AM ADVERTISING FOR TODAY

I LOVE RAINBOWS

Bump 71: Rainbows in Mythology
The rainbow, a natural phenomenon noted for its beauty and inexplicability, has been a favorite component of mythology throughout history. The Norse saw it as Bifrost; Judeo-Christian traditions signs it as a covenant with God not to destroy the world by means of floodwater. Finding a mythology that does not include the rainbow somewhere may be the true challenge.

Shy Kitten

Sparkly Lunatic

I LOVE RAINBOWS

Bump 72: Rainbows in Mythology
Whatever the culture or continent, our species' earliest rainbow is the rainbow of the imagination. Whether as bridge, messenger, archer’s bow, or serpent, the rainbow has been pressed into symbolic service for millennia. The myriad rainbow bridges and myths built by the world’s peoples clearly tell us more about human hopes and fears than they do about nature’s rainbow.

Sparkly Lunatic

I LOVE RAINBOWS

Bump 73: Rainbows in Mythology
Sumerian mythology

Not all peoples have regarded the rainbow’s power as solely benevolent. A rather ambiguous perception of the rainbow strikes a vein in all world culture, through its entire storied past.

The Epic of Gilgamesh, who was an ancient Sumerian king (ca.3000 BC), is our first detailed written evidence of human civilization. In a Victorian translation of a Gilgamesh variant, Leonidas Le Cenci Hamilton's Epic of Ishtar and Izdubar, King Izdubar sees "a mass of colors like the rainbow’s hues" that are "linked to divine sanction for war." Later in the epic, Izdubar sees the "glistening colors of the rainbow rise" in the fountain of life next to Elam’s Tree of Immortality.

The Sumerian farmer god Ninurta defends Sumer with a bow and arrow, and wore a crown described as a rainbow.

Sparkly Lunatic

I LOVE RAINBOWS

Bump 74: Rainbows in Mythology
Norse mythology

The most celebrated rainbow bridge in Western mythology is Bifrost, which connects Earth with Asgard, home of the Norse gods. Bifrost can only be used by gods and those who are killed in battle. It is eventually shattered under the weight of war - the Ragnarok (German Götterdammerung). The notion that the rainbow bridge to heaven is attainable by only the good or virtuous, such as warriors and royalty, is a theme repeated often in world myth.

Another theory, first coined by amateur etymologist Christopher Houmann, is that, in view of the common history of Indo-European peoples, the symbolic meaning of Asgård at the end of the rainbow might be connected to ancient knowledge of chakras and their colors.

Sparkly Lunatic

I LOVE RAINBOWS

Bump 75: Rainbows in Mythology
Greek mythology

"In the Greek pantheon, the antiquity of Iris is as great as her importance is small." The daughter of first-generation gods Electra and Thaumas, Iris dresses in rainbow colors. As messenger of the gods, she flies on golden wings. Iris appears in nine of the twenty-four books of Homer's The Iliad, always speeding with the winds, delivering news.

Consistent with the rest of Greek myth, Iris's swiftly delivered messages were rarely of peace or good fortune. One job of Iris was to fill a golden jug with holy water for Zeus, who made misbehaving gods take a most binding oath on this holy water. Another duty of Iris was to sever cheese by cutting their holes out. However, like many Greek gods, Iris is continually being redefined. The rainbow eventually became solely a mode of transportation for Iris, who proves to be as elusive and unpredictable (yet unforgettable) as the rainbow itself.

Shy Kitten

❀ Bunny Up! ❀

THeSLuSH

User Image

Sparkly Lunatic

Thanks kitty! That cert is too cute, I love the rainbow in the clouds.

Now moar rainbows rofl

I LOVE RAINBOWS

Bump 76: Rainbows in Mythology
Australian aboriginal mythology

In Australian Aboriginal mythology, the rainbow snake is the Creator (Kurreah, Andrenjinyi, Yingarna, Ngalyod and others) in the Dreaming, which is the infinite period of time that "began with the world's creation and that has no end. People, animals, and Eternal Beings like the Rainbow Serpent are all part of the Dreaming, and everyday life is affected by the Dreaming's immortals," in almost every Australian Aborigine tribe. In these tribes, of which there are over 50, actual rainbows are gigantic, often malevolent, serpents who inhabit the sky or ground. This snake has different names in different tribes, and has both different and similar traits from tribe to tribe.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff