Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Welcome to Lab 305's 9th anniversary flatsale!
Omg one more year and we're going to be officially a decade old!
- suddenly feels very old - .............................
But think of all the memories we've created over the years, all the bittersweet memories~

Along the subject of nostalgia, we brought back the two owner-less existing fel essences for this flatsale!
Bitter Honey and Independant Bioluminescence ~ !!
And there's a twist! (there always is!) Both of them will be illustrated by two different artists!
Kyoupi will be drawing for Bitter Honey, and Rookeries will be the artist for Independant Bioluminescence!

So take your pick, crack your keyboard typing fingers, and fire up your creative juices.
For the event is beginning.... NOW!!

Pssssst, I heard there will be a Summer ORP coming up as well, so keep a look out for it. ;D

[.Round 1]
[.Start] July 11th, 8pm PST
[.Ends] July 18th, 8pm PST

[.Round 2]
[.Start] July 19th, 8pm PST
[.Ends] July 24th, 8pm PST

[.Round 3]
[.Start] July 26th, 8pm PST
[.Ends] August 2nd, 8pm PST

To get back to the main thread

[.01] Be respectful at all times. Please keep all types of drama, including but not limited to flaming, begging, whining or personal issues with the Lab out the door. They are not welcomed here.
    [.02] Don't be a bad sport. There is no guarantee that you will win, if you lost and feel upset, get over it!
    [.03] Please ask all questions in the thread. If you PM it to the mule or to Kyou, it will most likely be ignored, as I am quite busy.
    [.04] All other main thread rules apply. Common sense please!!
    [.05] If you don't like the contest, don't enter.
    [.06] We reserve the rights to alter these rules as we see fit.

-------------------
Artist for Bitter Honey : kyoupi
Artist for Independant Bioluminescence : Rookeries

Fel Essence #1
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Bitter Honey

Honey is a naturally sweet food that is made by bees harvesting nectar from flowers. The main compounds in honey are fructose and glucose, which contributes to the sweet taste. Although the taste of honey differs depending on what flower it was harvested from and the season, it will always be sweet. Or would it? In this little vial contained a sample of honey that is devoid of any sweetness at all. It is in fact, bitter in taste. How peculiar! One wonders why is it so? However, all we know is that the rest of the honey was quickly disposed of by the beekeepers, only leaving this small sample behind.

Fel Essence #2
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Independant Bioluminescence

Bioluminescence is the emission of light resulted by a chemical reaction within a living organism. That means if the organism dies, the light will no longer shine too! But this particular fish scale that once probably belonged to a deep sea fish was washed ashore one day, glowing bright as ever. Not only that, as if it is trying to emulate the surrounding it was so familiar with in the deep sea, a vortex of darkness surrounds the glowing light, making it stand out. Is this tiny blue glow absorbing light to glow, since it is no longer attached to a living organism? Perhaps the black vortex surrounding it is a result of this absorption?

[.01] There will be 3 rounds for this event. See the next few posts for more information.
    [.02] Be aware of time constraints! Three rounds in 2+ weeks gives a tight schedule, so make sure you're aware of start and end times!
    [.03] All entries should be sent to the mule, Anachrophobia. PM's sent elsewhere will be ignored.
    [.04] Originality is encouraged. We know when we see a familiar concept/plot that is not yours.
    [.05] You may not get someone else to write your entry for you. We reserve the rights to take your Raevan away from you if we find out that your writing style differs from the contest entry.
    [.06] You may only send 1 entry for each round.
    [.07] Please no strange characters in your names. All RP characters including but not limited to guardians and Raevans, their names should not contain any characters that are not found on the keyboard. That means none of characters like these -> òéáß that could only be found on the character map.
    [.08] We reserve the right to change, remove or add to these rules.

-----------------

Time: July 11th, 8pm PST - July 18th, 8pm PST

Guardian Application
      [.01] Submit a character profile using the provided form below.
      [.02] Your character must be used as the guardian for the new Raevan.
      [.03] You may not exceed 100 words in the "Physical Description" area, and 250 words on the "Personality" and "History" area. We prefer quality over quantity.
      [.04] Only one entry per person. Submit your application to Anarchophobia. Applications sent to anyone else will be disqualified.
      [.05] You may submit an already existing character profile located in the guild. But you may want to rewrite a better one or improve on it?
      [.06] You could use the The 10 Commandments to Non-owner characters as a guide to write the profile of your guardian character.

[b]NAME :[/b]
[b]GENDER :[/b]
[b]AGE :[/b]
[b]OCCUPATION :[/b]
[b]RACE :[/b]
[b]LIKES :[/b]
[b]DISLIKES :[/b]
[b]LOOKS :[/b]

[b]PERSONALITY :[/b]

[b]HISTORY :[/b]

Time: July 19th, 8.00pm PST - July 24th, 8.00pm PST

The Raevan
      [.01] This round will be a test for your creativity.
      [.02] Pick a fel essence and fill out the form below, then submit your entry to Anachrophobia. Remember you only get one entry!
      [.03] You may not exceed 100 words in the "Reason for soul choice" area if you choose to fill that out. If you choose not to, just leave it blank.
      [.04] You may not exceed 250 words in the "Personality" area.
      [.05] You may only submit a maximum of 4 powers in the "Possible Powers" section, with a minimum of 2 powers. You may explain how the power works, but please do not exceed 100 words for each power.
      [.06] Pick your fel essence wisely, you are essentially picking which fel essence you want to apply for/win now.
      [.07] The soul choice you picked for this round may not necessarily be the final soul choice for when/if you win the flatsale. But you will be sticking to this combination for Round 3.

[b]FEL ESSENCE :[/b] Bitter Honey / Independant Bioluminescence
[b]NAME[/b]
[b]GENDER[/b]
[b]SOUL CHOICE :[/b]
[b]REASON FOR SOUL CHOICE :[/b] (optional)
[b]POSSIBLE POWERS :[/b]
[b]PERSONALITY :[/b]

Time: July 26th, 8pm PST - August 2nd, 8pm PST

The Prompts
      [.01] This round will be a test for your writing skills, as well as your creativity.
      [.02] Choose 1 from the 2 given prompts below. Be creative!
      [.03] You may not exceed 1200 words for your entry.
      [.04] Only one entry per person, submit entry to Anachrophobia.
      [.05] The Raevan you use in your entry must be the same one you submitted for Round 2.
      [.06] Originality will give your extra points. Wow us, make your entry interesting and creative. Don't play safe! We know when we see a familiar concept/plot that's not originally your's.

Prompt 1
Your Raevan is on trial! - in a manner of speaking. It seems that they've gotten into a bit of trouble and have to face what they've done. What did they do (or what are they accused of doing)? How do they defend themselves when it's time for them to give their side of the story? Do they succeed or are they justly (or unjustly) sentenced?

Prompt 2
There comes a time in every young Raevan's life where strange things start happening. However we aren't talking about the growth from Frei to Sigel or the first blossoming of romance - we're talking about powers! Tell us about the first appearance of one of your Raevan's powers. What is it? How do they react? What happens when it makes itself known to them?
ROUND 1
Brolis
Nyxtsuki Moon
Yushika
Mushbee
alpha lyrae
Faexa
FallenSiren
lumilaulu
Cynnybun
chenabby
Pidgeons Go Meow X3
The Semblance of Unity
Byagane319
Ka-ray-zee
Sirene Naiads
staticSLEEPER
musicaloner7
Logue
Honeybii
Hopelessly Pretty

ROUND 2
Nyxtsuki Moon
Yushika
Mushbee
alpha lyrae
Faexa
FallenSiren
lumilaulu
Cynnybun
chenabby
Pidgeons Go Meow X3
The Semblance of Unity
Byagane319
Ka-ray-zee
staticSLEEPER
Logue
Honeybii

ROUND 3

Bitter Honey
staticSLEEPER
alpha lyrae
Cynnybun
Logue

Independant Bioluminescence
FallenSiren
Faexa
Ka-ray-zee
Mushbee
The Semblance of Unity
chenabby

alpha lyrae
Morning was Lorin's favorite part of the day. He had thrown the window open, taking in the coolness of the morning before the afternoon heat set in. The extra car in the driveway showed him that Ivy, Claire's mother, was here, their murmured conversation from the floor below mingled with morning birdsong. Lorin loved the comfortable noise, and he loved it so much that he wanted to share it. He drifted downstairs, towards the entrance to the living room when loud laughter made him halt just shy of the threshold. No, don't interrupt. Lorin knew his guardian would never be angry, but he quelled at interrupting a happy moment for something that he already decided was inconsequential. He was about to leave when Ivy's laughter subsided into a long sigh.

"I miss him, y'know, the house gets lonely," she said as Lorin strained to hear more - the television was on.

"Yeah, I know what you mean." Claire sounded melancholy. "I just wish I could hear him again, the tapes sometimes aren't enough."

"I miss the voice, but I miss the a** more," Ivy added, and Claire sputtered. "Like a Greek statue."

"Mom!" Both women laughed again, and he floated quietly to the doorway and peered around the edge. The man on the television was Claire's father, he knew him from the pictures on the walls: tall, broad-shouldered, his sandy beard and hair peppered with gray. He was encouraging a little girl (who Lorin recognized as a younger Claire, also thanks to the framed photos in the hallway) in opening presents.

"Daddy! Oh my gosh, it's skates! Mama look!" Young Claire was ecstatic, her good mood infectious. Lorin moved away down the hall a bit, smiling. "Thank you! Can I try 'em out?"

"After cake, kiddo," came the voice that must have been her father's. The Raevan imagined what must have come next for his little guardian, his lips voicing his thoughts.

"Then you can skate all you want," he said to himself... with Claire's father's voice coming from his mouth. He froze. I... did that? He did not know how, but he had heard it, processed it, and there it was. Unease and excitement coursed through him in tandem. He focused on the same voice, testing his new discovery.

"... Cake." There, again! He was breathing rapidly now. "... Skates." This time he switched to little Claire's voice, and out it came. He trembled in excitement. He was ready to round the corner, to show her, but then he paused and recalled what she had just said to her mother.

He knew how he would show Claire.

----

Lorin absorbed the way the man spoke. He replied to the television in tones perfectly, eerily matched. Muffled footsteps sounded in the hall, and a flash of white snapped his attention towards the doorway, where Claire watched him. Her white nightgown was wrinkled and her hair matted to her face, and Lorin nerves danced. "I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up -- uhm --" He turned helplessly towards the television as Claire's ten-year-old self pranced around her childhood kitchen, trailing a streamer in her hands.

"Lorin, honey, I think we need to put the video away now." The image of her father moved into the frame and Claire rubbed her eyes as though shaking off a troubling dream. Lorin's shame crept hotly into his throat and he nodded, stopping the tape. Of course she's upset, he thought as he ejected the tape, It's late. Handing the video to his guardian, who murmured her thanks, he nodded again.

Practice quieter.

----

As the pre-dawn light illuminated his window, Lorin practiced with anticipation. But what would Claire want to hear? She had told him that her father was gone; clearly he had been gone for a while, as the Raevan was sure Ivy would have introduced him, were he home. He felt such sympathy for his guardian - she loved this man very much and must miss him terribly.

"Claire, it's been a long trip, glad to be home," he said in the rumbling tones of his guardian's father. "I missed you. Where's Ivy at?" Lorin reeled excitedly with how surprised and glad Claire would be. "You still making your pies, Ivy? The last one's still sitting in my stomach, like a damn rock." The door creaked open and Lorin started, turning to see Claire and Aaron roused from sleep, silhouetted in the doorway. Both were pale as Claire's nightgown, and he smiled tentatively.

"Claire, it's been a long trip --" He faltered as Claire staggered back, eyes wide. "Guess, uh... guess what? I learned I could do this.. voice thing, and I wanted to show... you..." His tone became uncertain the longer he stared, although the voice of Claire's father still issued from his lips.

"Not like this, Lorin." Claire's voice sounded hoarse. "I..." Words failed and her hand clutched her chest. His uncertainty descended into dread - he had been wrong, very wrong. Why?

"Lorin... no, no... oh god." Aaron clutched his curly hair in what Lorin recognized as aggravation. "You can't go around talking like Steven, he's dead, it's... upsetting, I mean.. god." The shame that Lorin felt turned to ice, and he sank to the floor.

Dead. Dead like the baby birds he found in the woods once, like the squirrel on their street. Claire's father was like them. And he had just brought back his voice from the grave. He had hurt Claire. Lorin's eyes watered and he could not breathe properly.

"I'm sorry... please don't b-be mad... I-I just..." How could he have been so stupid? He had upset his loving guardian. Lorin hiccupped softly. "I-if I could m-make you happy... because you love your dad and..." Tears flowed, and he felt so embarrassed and so ashamed, he had been so thoughtless. "I didn't know... you just s-said he was gone and I..." His breath caught, and Aaron finished the sentence for him, agitation fading.

"You... assumed." Lorin focused on the man's voice in his anxiety.

"I assumed," commented Aaron's voice from the Raevan's lips, and he gasped, reaching out as though to pull it back. Both humans stared in surprise and he shrank away, but the upset had faded from Claire's eyes, even if the shock had not.

"When did you... ?" she asked, and Lorin took a steadying breath, burying his embarrassment, his shame.

"Yesterday, the video... I just picked up his voice so..." He rubbed the back of his hand awkwardly, avoiding their gaze. He heard Aaron chuckle, and Lorin's eyes flicked up as Claire approached him and knelt down.

"It's okay, you didn't know... it's okay." She brushed his tears away. "Thank you. I know you meant well, just... please don't voice my dad again, okay? Please stop crying, I'm not mad, promise." His vision clouded with a new wash of tears, and he sniffed loudly.

"Okay," he replied automatically in Claire's voice, before covering his mouth. This time, however, the woman laughed softly, and over her shoulder Aaron cracked a smile.

"When they said weird powers, they weren't kidding," he added, and Lorin felt himself smiling, too.

The Semblance of Unity
Christmas
Aadhira lay on his side, his ribbon draped lazily over Justin's leg. For once, the frei was silent, bright eyes intent on the flickering television in front of them. However, Aadhira had still stolen the entirety of the fleece blanket they were supposed to be sharing. Well, Justin viewed it as stealing, but Aadhira considered it rightful allocation, and groaned dramatically in discontent as Justin tried to pull the blanket back. In the spirit of the season, they were sprawled haphazardly on the sofa watching "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer". Aadhira had never seen it before (did snowmen really sing?), but his guardian had deemed it a fitting choice to match the rare snowstorm blowing outside. The movie was winding to an end, Rudolph's brilliant nose having saved them all, even the misfit toys. As the credits rolled, Justin poked the frei in his blanketed shoulder.

"So, what'd you think?" he said, leaning back against green cushions. For long moments, Aadhira was still uncharacteristically silent, the fleece doubled up over his face like a mask. Only his eyes showed, brows drawn together fiercely. The movie was oddly full of songs, which Aadhira was unsure he liked, but, more importantly, he could feel something odd unfurling within him as he watched: a movie about a poor reindeer with a glow he couldn't control. Aadhira, of course, would've always been invited to play reindeer games regardless of glows or not-glows. Of course. Slowly, dramatically, the blanket slid from Aadhira as he propped himself up on one elbow, facing Justin. The couch creaked.

"Justin... do I get a theme song now as well?" The frei grinned cheekily, teeth gleaming whitely below a... a nose that glowed. Aadhira relished Justin's wide-eyed stare. He crossed his eyes, focused, and slowly, his nose blinked. The light was bright red: a perfect imitation of the unlucky reindeer's. His grin widened as he waited for his guardian's reaction. Justin stared, and stared, and finally, with an utterly inelegant snort, he began to laugh. His pale green eyes crinkled in mirth and Aadhira couldn't help it - he laughed too. The frei would never admit it, but he'd been the tiniest bit worried that Justin would think it odd. After all, he'd never glowed quite like this before.

"Aadi," Justin said between laughs, "You have to show that to Cruz! You - you guys can be a Christmas duo!" Aadhira beamed; this was fantastic! He could, and would, show everyone. But once his guardian had stopped chuckling, Justin's voice was slightly worried, and it broke through Aadhira's self-satisfied grin.

"Uh. Do you... do you know how to turn it off?" Oh. Oh. Aadhira's mood dimmed slightly; if he never turned it off, he'd glow brightly from his nose forever, and it would no longer be special, but ordinary. His wings stiffened against his back. Slowly, as Aadhira's mind became preoccupied, the glow paled, dimmed and went out. He looked up at Justin and grinned self-assuredly, pointing to his nose. Concentrating carefully, he glowed it on... and off again. It might take a little time to master it, but Aadhira could do this, of course he could, he had never doubted it!

Flashlight
"Justin-" Aadhira's voice hissed through the twilight of night, an impassioned whisper. He seemed to vibrate in the darkness. With a groan, Justin flopped over in his bed. Aadhira floated closer and Justin flapped a hand at him to either get in the bed or get out. The whole house got cold in the winter, and it wouldn't be the first time Aadhira had crawled into bed to leech heat. But no, Aadhira would not be tempted. He needed Justin to look at him! He whispered Justin's name again. Finally, with a grunt, his guardian's head rose from a spectacular tangle of pillows. His hair was a messy cloud, but Aadhira waited patiently until Justin's eyes opened and turned towards him.

"Aadhira," he yawned. "It's a** o'clock at night, what do you-" Suddenly, it was as though Aadhira had turned a flashlight on, straight into Justin's eyes. The frei gasped; he hadn't meant it to be quite that strong, but it really was an awesome trick. Justin swore wildly and Aadhira bolted, gliding quickly into the hallway, bright glow bouncing randomly. He hurled himself into his room and paused, heart beating a bright tattoo in his chest. Silence reigned in the house. Justin had not come raging after him. Yet. One corner of his mouth kicked up in a smile as he dimmed his glowing shoulder. Maybe waking Justin up in the middle of the night was a bad idea, but Aadhira had just figured out that particular trick. Surely, Justin would see how cool it was, too.

Later on, Aadhira wouldn't feel nearly so pleased with himself when Justin informed him he was grounded for two weeks.

Meee-wow
Aadhira was bored. He was discontent, restless, fidgety, bored. He looked around Justin's office, searching for anything interesting... nothing. Nothing at all. With a hmph, he pushed off of the ratty loveseat, knocking over a small stack of comic books, and floated over to Justin. It was only around his guardian and closest friends that Aadhira felt comfortable enough to whine - and whine he did. "Juuuuusstiiinnn." It sighed out of his mouth like a bow scraping across an untuned violin. Turning to look at the frei, Justin put his finger to his lips and made a face. Hush. His headset blinked, and Aadhira could make out the faint sounds of someone very irate on the line. Aadhira stiffened, wings fanning out in silent outrage.

He was grounded, in a manner of speaking. Which meant Aadhira was forbidden from going anywhere that wasn't work or home. So, rather than rot away at home with a stupid snake, Aadi had elected to come to Justin's work. But he hadn't been prepared for the fact that his guardian would simply have no time for him. It made him feel antsy, uneasy. He wrapped his arms around himself and floated back to the loveseat. Dexter hopped up on one arm and plaintively meowed. With a gusty sigh, Aadhira grumpily pet him, his free hand tapping rhythmlessly on a stray cushion.

Bored, bored; he absently made his hand glow. Each time he did it, it got easier and easier to control. Justin had patiently explained that these powers were just proof of how unique Aadhira was. Sometimes, he thought Justin knew him and his apprehensions too well. Dexter hissed and leapt away, his tabby fur on-end. Hmm. Aadhira concentrated - he imagined a thousand little bits of light flowing through his body and out. And suddenly, it worked! A light shot out of his fingertip and he startled back and up, bumping into the wall. The light flickered, fizzled in and out as he traced circles on the office's ugly grey carpet, but it was something interesting at least. Dexter meowed loudly and jumped at the light, fear forgotten. He chased it round and round and up the loveseat and onto Justin's desk. Finally, Justin tossed down his headset and fixed Aadhira with a glare.

"Aadi, what are you doing?"
"Being not-bored, Justin, no thanks to you. Hmph."
♦ Be awesome ♦
♦ Be humorous ♦
A little humor goes a long way.
----

[url=http://bit.ly/1nngNtk][img]http://bit.ly/1nngCyp[/img][/url]

-----------
You may post

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out