Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
I feel like I've heard of Herds of Azreth before. Is it some kind of dragon or something? xd *could be totally wrong*

My mom told me a couple days ago that I wasn't getting any presents. xd She did order two cookbooks that I wanted from amazon, but they won't be shipped in time for my birthday. >o>

I had to buy black chalk pastels for my one design class, so I've used the little set of 5 neutral colors I had, and I wasn't really impressed. Plus they were totally messy. >o> But colors should be more fun. In any case, I have all these pastels now, so I have to use them. xd I also have some oil pastels. Are oil pastel drawings easier to keep clean? The one website I was reading said you didn't have to fix them.

I've noticed that maybe a third way through this semester it stopped bothering me to get up at 6:45 to go to class. And I've NEVER been an alarm person, but I've, like, acclimated to it or something. xd The last two weeks I've woke up 5-10 minutes before my alarm went off. And it used to be, like, this horrible chore to get up or whatever, but now it just sort of happens automatically. Even on days when I don't go anywhere, I'm just, like, all awake and showered and whatever at maybe 9:30 at the latest. I've been trained into being an early riser. >o>

Fluffy Bunny

8,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Oil pastels are really smooth and creamy. Easy to blend (I use my fingers lol)...

I'm going to guess you don't have to fix them cuz I have no idea what that is, and have never had to do it. I do know that you'll want to put a thin, flexible plastic over them if you frame them cause even after a few months, they'll want to smudge if you don't protect them.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I am just not a natural early riser. No mater how hard I try to change my schedule, I never wake up before 9 AM on my own. xd

Hey, at least you're getting those cookbooks. That's better than nothing, I think. 3nodding Do you want anything specific in your birthday doodle? 8D

Oil pastels are less messy, imo. The were my first love, although chalk pastels have grown on me since my drawing class was heavy on them. I find that working with oil pastels is more like painting because they're smooth and creamy, like Cherry said. They're almost like very soft paint-crayons. xd They're easier to blend, and if you mess up I generally just use my fingernail to scrape off and layer over that. I also used my fingers to blend with those. They can get your fingers looking kinda grungy, but I think your hands are a great tool. cool

With my biggest oil pastel work, I didn't use anything to fix it. You can cover it with something clear, but I just hung mine up somewhere out of the way. It's been fine there since 2007, but I'm not poking at it or anything. If it was in a more high-traffic area, I'd want to cover it probably. If you're working in a sketchbook or something, it'll smudge over time because of friction.

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Fix as in spray it with fixative, which I believe is glue and propellant in an aerosol can. It's very deadly toxic to breathe in and smells horrible and is hard to spray right without ruining the drawing. xd I had to use it for some charcoal drawings before, and I hated it. It seals the drawing so you can't smudge it anymore, but if you do too much (or even enough to seal it right) it call dull the colors, or in charcoal, pale it out.

Oh shoot, it's late already and I'm totally tired even though I slept 3 hours in the afternoon. >o> I guess I'll go to sleep now. I expected to be wide awake from sleeping so much at, like, 5 PM. xd

EDIT: Yeah, they're pretty nice cookbooks. cool And I guess I'm also getting that carving knife when we eventually go to the carving store. Hmmmm birthday doodle... Oh shoot, I can't think of anything. xd

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Also, you can use cheap hairspray as a fixative. It's usually cheaper and much less toxic. My professional pastel professor used Aquanet.
It doesn't seal quite as well as the real stuff, but the real stuff is pretty awful to work with.

Edit: If you can't think of anything I can just doodle you something random. 8D

Fluffy Bunny

8,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Oh.. okay..

Yeah, my art teacher had us use Aqua Net hair spray on our charcoal and pastel pictures we had to do.

I didn't know there was a specific product you could use. I just like using saran wrap with a bit of masking tape on back to hold it on before framing it.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Happy Birthday Lily!

This was my first time doodling digitally in paint.NET in a long time. xd I tried out some new stuff, I think it came out pretty cute. I couldn't really think of anything else to do. >o> I debated doing a mini-comic with a few panels, but I don't have much time left before having to head to the barn to teach lessons, and I need to doodle up something else really quick as well.

Also, here's a hilariously old Lily Birthday doodle that I think was from when I was a junior in high school. cool LINK! I'm pretty sure I drew that in school. I think it was drawn in my homeroom junior year. My, how everyone's changed!

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Yay doodles! 8D

Oh man, I remember that old one. xd That is pretty hilarious. So I would have been... in the 8th grade? Maybe? Something like that?

I went shopping to try and get some sandals, but nothing fit my stupid awkward feet. >o> So I wasted like two hours. My feet are too wide and too short. D= And my left foot is shorter than my right foot, enough that it's a noticeable difference in shoe tightness. Stupid feet. >o> I have no good sandals, only flip-flops. I want real sandals. ;O;

The only thing I ended up getting is this weird glass owl vase. xd It's very strange looking, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

I don't have enough drawing time now. D= I don't want to go to my art class tomorrow, I want to stay home and draw. xd At least it's only the critique day, so I won't have to stay late.

I have this weekly planner with kittens on it (that I don't use) and I just realized that this week's kitten is an adorable melonheaded gray british shorthair kitten. =D It's SO CUTE!

Fluffy Bunny

8,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
Erm.... happy birthday.... ;; feels awkward now ;;

Herds of Azreth is a horse shop.. hehe..

And I just watched HOP with my 2 year old.. I think next Easter I'm literally painting eggs.. then I can be sad when they get broken for eating..

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Oh, I guess I was wrong about dragons. xd I feel like I saw some kind of dragon with a shop name that was Herds of something. It must've been something else.

Hah, I remember that movie. cool Have you ever blown out egg shells? Then you could paint it and keep it. Or you could get wooden or ceramic eggs.

My grandparents just called to sing happy birthday to me. 8D And my lame parents/brother didn't even bother. xd Oh well. I did just eat a bunch of cake, though. cool

I was playing around with my pastels, and I'm just way too lazy to work with something so powdery. >o> I need to draw something with colored pencils now. xd Actually, I want to use my Prismacolor watercolor pencils, because I was considering buying Faber-Castell watercolor pencils (I have 4 of those, and I like how they dissolve better than the Prismacolors), but I want to do, like, a full Prismacolor watercolor picture first to see how they work in a full painting.

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Oh a horse shop, cool. I have a horse in real life. 8D I just brushed her and get her treats after teaching my three Wednesday lessons. cool
Also I just found out that I won't be needed to teach on Friday, because the barn owner found out some bad things about the horse she was going to go look at with her boyfriend. >o> The seller said he was perfect and safe, but it turns out that he bolted and broke her ankle a few months ago, and that's why she's selling him. Horse people are nuts.

I'm pretty sure I have faber castell watercolor pencils. I think so, anyway. I can't seem to find them to confirm the brand. D=

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Oh and also, my sister tried to catch my stray cat friend while I was out. It ended badly.

SO I've been seeing and feeding this cat for weeks now. Apparently while I was gone, she showed up for food. Maria opened the door, and she came into the house. When she went to close the door, cat started to bolt. To slow her down enough to close the door, my sister Maria GRABBED THE STRAY CAT WITH HER BARE HANDS. Naturally, the stray cat flipped s**t and scratched my sister's arms up really good. Long story short, the cat escaped.

What if she's too traumatized to come back now? ;O;

I watch a hell of a lot of Animal Cops shows and have for years, so I'm pretty well versed on why grabbing a feral cat with your bare hands is an awful idea. My sister always whines about me watching boring animal shows. Maybe if she saw more animal control officers capturing colonies of feral cats, she wouldn't have gotten scratched. >o>;

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Faber-castell watercolor pencils are awesome. cool They dissolve into perfect flat watercolor so easily. My Prismacolor ones don't dissolve as well, so you still see some of the pencil lines. Which I guess would be good if you wanted it to look like that, but I prefer it smooth. xd

I'm drawing Max's portrait in watercolor pencils right now. >D I just finished Max, now I'm going to do a crazy background like those Louis Wain wallpaper cats I showed you a while ago.

Oh no, poor stray cat! ;O; Did you ever get a trap or anything?

Dapper Nerd

6,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
Smooth watercolor pencils are the best. 3nodding

I bet Max will turn out so cute! ;O;

We did not get a trap. I don't have the money in my budget to outright buy one right now, and my sister said she'd go in for half, but hasn't so far. I think right now our best bet is to contact a shelter and see if they'll lend us a trap, and if they'd take her in if we can manage to get her.

My mom had made it very clear that she doesn't want any more cats. crying

Oh yeah, has there been any more progress with career aspirations or future classes whatever? =O

Sparkly Prophet

5,350 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
*listening to Adventure Time music on YouTube* cool Hey, you watch Adventure Time, right? Did you know that the season 1 DVDs are FINALLY coming out on DVD in like July or something? =D I'm so excited! I don't think I've even seen all of season 1. What season is it in now? Like 4 or something?

Max is so adorable. cool I'm just freehanding it with the watercolor pencils, and the new Prismacolor eraser that I got with my pencil extender thing works SO WELL on watercolor pencils. =D I didn't think colored pencils erase with, like, anything. xd But maybe it's easier to erase watercolor pencils because they're not so waxy.

Poor kitty. ;O; Maybe a shelter would lend you a trap, like you said? Or maybe you could find one used on the internet for cheap?

There has been no progress on future careers or anything. cool I guess I'm still taking Speech in the summer, since I registered and haven't dropped it yet, but beyond that, I have no idea. xd I think I can start registering for Fall on May 10 or something. But I doubt I'll have anything decided by then. >o> After yet another day of my mom telling me to work as a secretary/computer programmer/some sort of clerical assistant or whatever, I told her I wanted to be a scientist, just to make her stop convincing me to take IT classes. But now she's just trying to get me to pick out a 4-year college and start taking a bunch of science classes and stuff. xd

I don't know what I should do. >o> My mom thinks I should be, like, some kind of lab technician or work for, like, doctors or P.h.D. doctors, like as a research assistant or something. Which I guess would be ok. But I don't know that I really want to do that. I don't know if "It's fine, I guess, probably." is a good enough motive for a career. xd

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff