Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ethereal Doll

23,775 Points
  • Recruitment Party 50
  • Master Slayer 200
  • Bitter Sandstorm 200
Do you prefer to...

Read during the day? During the night?
Anytime. I'd be happier if I can read during both day and night.

One book at at time? Several books at one?
One book at a time. I feel like I'm cheating and doing the book I'm reading an injustice when I try to read another one.

Read small pieces through out the day? Read for as long as you can in one sitting?
I almost always finish the book in one sitting. Depends on the length of course.

Dog-ear the corners? Do you use scraps of paper or a real bookmark?
I use an e-reader. Automatically opens to the right page.

what are your book-ish habits?
I don't listen to music while reading. I know a lot of people do this but I can't seem to concentrate on the book when I do this. The urge to sing along is too strong.

8,200 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Flatterer 200
Read during the day?
yesyesyes!

During the night?
yes, but sometimes i get quite tired since i get very comfy in bed and usually end up falling asleep, even if the book is super-good.

One book at at time?
yes. i like to keep track of what i'm reading and make sure i completely understand everything, and connect everything to other parts of the story and all that jazz.

Several books at one?
sometimes i get impatient and do this more often than not. sweatdrop

Read small pieces through out the day?
yes! i do this when i dont have time, when im busy with something and am super antsy about the book.

Read for as long as you can in one sitting?
hell yeah.

Dog-ear the corners?
NO!!!!!!!! i used to this cause it was convenient, but now i care way too much about how perfect my books are. none so far are folded or torn or anything.

Do you use scraps of paper or a real bookmark?
i love using real bookmarks. barnes n noble have really pretty ones for about $4, but theyre so high quality and pretty.

i like to read for long periods of time mostly, and when i start reading again i usually skim through the pages to see what went down. i also pause to think about the characters and events that unfolded n constantly ask questions as to why something is one way. blah.

Bloodthirsty Unicorn

I'll read at anytime of the day, whenever I'm not doing anything, I'll pick up a book to read regardless the time or where I'm at; I'll read however much I can fit in. I tend to read one book at a time, though sometimes I do read several if one book starts to get too slow or boring for me, usually a break in the story helps me out.

I use bookmarks for the most part, since I have quite a few of them. Sometimes used books I purchase will come with a free bookmark, so I have no need to dog-ear the corners or use random pieces of paper.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Electronica Babe
Do you prefer to...

Read during the day?
During the night?

Either. I like reading anytime I have free, but I do tend to get sleepy if I'm reclining and reading at night.

Electronica Babe
One book at at time?
Several books at on
[c]e?

Well... I try to, but currently I've got three books going, one wizard detective novel, one dry horror novel, and a nonfiction on the history of magic in England.
Electronica Babe
Read small pieces through out the day?
Read for as long as you can in one sitting?

Depending on how well my attention span is holding up, yeah. Sometimes I like to read along with an audiobook, so if I get distracted I can keep going. But only in a visual or tactile manner. If it's verbal I have to stop both.
Electronica Babe
Dog-ear the corners?
Do you use scraps of paper or a real bookmark?

It drives me crazy when people dog-ear the corners of books. Defacing it just to mark your place? s**t no! If you don't have a properly designated bookmark, get pieces of torn paper, or folded paper, or full paper if you have to. Letters, envelopes - did you buy the book? Of course you did, stick the receipt in there! My copy of House of Leaves is years old, as I still haven't finished it, and the top of the receipt is marred by rain damage. And I still use it to mark my place.

Electronica Babe

Uhhh, that's all I can think of, I suppose. I also prefer real books to e-books. My attention just keeps better. I do get the occasional e-book, but physical books just feel so great in your hand, and they look nice on a shelf. A bit ungainly to carry around though. I can stick an e-book on my phone and have little difficulty pulling it up when things get boring if I'm out in public. People look at me funny if I carry a book around with me...
I can read anywhere and everywhere and tend to read as much as I can in one sitting.
I have been known to finish books in 1-2 days, depending on how long it is.
Despite this, I can remember plots and details of a book for years after I read it.

As for bookmarks, I am a scrap piece of paper / sticky note person... I never had a proper bookmark and even if I did, I would probably lose it.
Sugar-Coated Accident
I read whenever I have the time; it's usually at night, though, since I have other projects I work on during the day.
I usually only read one book at a time, although if I'm traveling and my main book is a heavier read, I may pick something lighter that's easier to focus on in a moving vehicle.
I used to read in little bits throughout the day until I re-started my habit of keeping a reading journal; it's a hassle trying to record all the little 5-10 minute stretches, so I've gone to just reading when I'm sure I have at least 30 minutes.
I NEVER dog-ear corners, nor do I ever rest an open book facedown. It's disrespectful.
Always a real bookmark; I have quite a collection of them (including the 3 Doctor Who ones I got for my birthday/Christmas emotion_drool ) because I tend to lose them when I switch to reading e-books for a while.

I mentioned it earlier, but one of my main reading habits is keeping a reading journal to record when I read, how long I read for, and how many pages I get through. Each book is a separate entry, including title, author, pages (or locations for e-books), and format (hardback, large paperback, mass market paperback, e-book, etc). I use it to get an idea of how fast I read, or how much time in a year I spend reading. Fun fact: In 2014, I spent 462 hours and 33 minutes reading.
This sounds like a really good idea, a reading journal. I will have to remember that.
Reading during the day and night. Reading a book one at time (:

Squama's Compadre

Leaf

I read during the day and mostly when I'm at work.
I would love to read all my books in one sitting, but a combo of internet and having too many siblings doesn't let me. :c
I dog ear corners, too, sorrynotsorry.

Golden Lover

Your questions first emotion_yatta

Do you prefer to...

Read during the day? During holidays and weekends (in short, except school time) I read book whenever I feel like to do.

During the night? Sometimes, I can't keep myself awake because I feel tired (school, work etc...) and I prefer to sleep.

One book at at time?
Several books at one? It depends on my mood now. I used to read multiple books at the same time but I simply gave up that habit months ago.

Read small pieces through out the day? Yes, I read poetry.

Read for as long as you can in one sitting? I can't finish a book in one sitting. I - at least - give
break and then continue.

Dog-ear the corners? No, I use bookmarks or just simply remember the page/chapter. rolleyes

Do you use scraps of paper or a real bookmark? % 98 bookmark, lol.

Plus...

arrow I read in two different languages. (English and my mother tongue)
arrow I read on my way school. I read book in subways and buses. ^^
I usually read during the day and early mornings because i read on my way to work (and on the way back) which is on the train and on the subway.

I only read one book at a time. I find it unfair to the story to read multiple books since I am fully drawn into a story whenever I read it.

I read to and from work but I love to read for as long as I can on the weekends.

I do not dog ear the corners.. My books are usually neat and perfect but a book that has been used seems fun too. (Like Belle from disney) i still havent found the courage to do it tho.

I just remember the page so i dont use a bookmark. I used to tho. ^^

Time-traveling Bookworm

29,275 Points
  • Falling For You 25
  • Bookworm 100
  • Survivor 150
I usually take several books with me when I travel, seems to be the only time I get to read without interruptions nowadays.

No dog-earing for me, never liked it when I'd get a book from the library that had that done. I always use whatever scrap of paper is near by.

Don't really have a preferred time to read, though I sometimes will read in the middle of the night when my insomnia is pretty bad.

There have been times where I've had three or four books I was reading all at once. Usually they're all different types, so I may be reading a mystery, a historical fiction, a book on psychology or brain function, and a book on etymology all at once, switching between them all depending on my mood.

fking1's Bae

Married Noob

3,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Signature Look 250
I usually read when its silent (sometimes i read while listening to music tho), I never think about what time of day it is, but tbh I think I read at night most of the time rather than the morning.
I /have/ to read one book at once and I /have/ to finish it in one sitting, or the occasional two.

(and the very rare 3928479237 sittings that take 7 months).

I use any sort of paper and make it look decent enough to pass as a bookmark.

Although I'm sure plenty of people do this, my bookish habit would have to be making the facial expressions that are described in a book. (i.e. character looking confused results in me looking confused at the page)

Irregular Lunatic

15,275 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Master Converter 500
  • Marathon 300
I prefer to read during the day, and I try to read as much as I can, but most of the time I get really lazy so I read a chapter or 2 a day and I use scraps of papers....would sniffing the books include as a book-ish habit? lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff