Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Wench

9,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Fairies>Werewolves and Vampires. When the bonk did these two Juggernauts even become rivals?

Never mind, I found out. Apparently,how these two rivalries began is tale as old as...1948. dramallama
the quiz is unavailable.

Maddy's Husband

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
Nanaran
Fairies>Werewolves and Vampires. When the bonk did these two Juggernauts even become rivals?

Never mind, I found out. Apparently,how these two rivalries began is tale as old as...1948. dramallama

It's a LOT younger than that.
Actual references to rivalry began in the 1980s when White Wolf Publications released the first edition of "Vampire:the Masquerade". In it, one of the threats to vampire characters (it was the first game designed for campaigns of players running vampire characters) was the "lupines" who live in the wilderness- obviously werewolves, and more obvious in their references in the sourcebook "the Hunters Hunted." Every reference to rivalry since then has either been drawn directly from that, or from fan fiction drawn from that, or fan fiction based on fan fiction drawn from that. That's why the makers of the movie "Underworld" had to pay money to White Wolf- their story drew too SPECIFICALLY on their material. When I was in the movie theater watching the first movie, I winced when the word "ABOMINATION" was specifically used to refer to a werewolf/vampire hybrid, since I knew that meant they'd have to pay money. That SPECIFICALLY goes back to the combined sourcebook of the War for Chicago, "Under a Blood-Red Moon".

I don't think they INTENDED to rip off White Wolf. I think they went online and all the information they found plagiarized it and the movie-makers got lazy.

Devoted Wench

9,225 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
Steel Sterling
Nanaran

It's a LOT younger than that.
Actual references to rivalry began in the 1980s when White Wolf Publications released the first edition of "Vampire:the Masquerade". In it, one of the threats to vampire characters (it was the first game designed for campaigns of players running vampire characters) was the "lupines" who live in the wilderness- obviously werewolves, and more obvious in their references in the sourcebook "the Hunters Hunted." Every reference to rivalry since then has either been drawn directly from that, or from fan fiction drawn from that, or fan fiction based on fan fiction drawn from that. That's why the makers of the movie "Underworld" had to pay money to White Wolf- their story drew too SPECIFICALLY on their material. When I was in the movie theater watching the first movie, I winced when the word "ABOMINATION" was specifically used to refer to a werewolf/vampire hybrid, since I knew that meant they'd have to pay money. That SPECIFICALLY goes back to the combined sourcebook of the War for Chicago, "Under a Blood-Red Moon".

I don't think they INTENDED to rip off White Wolf. I think they went online and all the information they found plagiarized it and the movie-makers got lazy.

That was the first "official" work with Werewolves vs. Vampires to some degree right? From what I understand (which isn't a lot, fair warning. razz ) the first hint of Werewolves vs. Vampires was in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein when the Wolf Man fought Dracula though it wasn't so much a set up for a "war" between the two as just the writers thought it would cool to see those two fight.

The history of White Wolf Productions and how it seems to have affected things so much is interesting though since a lot of things had been changed in regards to Werewolves and Vampires in newer media (for better or for worse). It's definitely something I'll have to look into more.

Maddy's Husband

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100
White Wolf didn't start EVERYTHING, of course. Ann Rice made vampires popular long before
Bella met Edward, and other writers were making "sexy werewolves" and "sexy vampires"
around that time and later. Much of the White Wolf stuff was about vampires and werewolves
as rivals, with some later stuff reflecting gamers and their tendency to "team up" at combined
tabletop games and-more often-LARPs. The Mind's Eye Theater Journal noted that kept
happening at LARPs specifically.

A number of writers, for better or worse, have taken the basic idea of a modern world with lots of
supernaturals operating and run with it- and THAT came from White Wolf. They had 5 core games-
Vampire:the Masquerade, Werewolf:the Apocalypse, Mage:the Ascension, Wraith:the Oblivion,
and Changeling:the Dreaming (vampires, werewolves, wizards, ghosts, and fairies.) One way or
another, different writers began writing about such a planet- and we got the True Blood/Sookie
Stackhouse novels, the Anita Blake series, Kitty Norville, the Dresden Files, and so on.
I may check it out, I may not
I didnt read the ecerpt but i read the book.
The girl is kinda messed up though but shes alrite and i lik the end cuz it gives readers a suspicious ending.... i want the second book!!!
Thts how u end a book... so more people will read it and u can earn more money.. its lik a two in one.
Readers enjoy the book and the author gets money. smile
Werewolves are the lame counters to vampires. Give it up dude.

4,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
just wanted to put a suggestion out there, I love vampire books and i got into Anne Rice's vampires ALONG time ago and then she came out with The wolf gift this year and I thought i would suggest it. I have read it and it is a good Werewolf book in my opinion =^_^=

Pup in Fluff's Partner

Seeker

Steel Sterling
Kitty and the Midnight Hour, and the rest of the Kitty Norville series.

When you've read that, you'll know what a GOOD werewolf series looks like.

I've read books from a number, and that one has had the most good books in a row, so far.

I also want to cause physical pain to anyone who puts on the back of a werewolf book the following:
"[name of book] does for werewolves what Anne Rice did for vampires."
Although Alice Borchardt gets a free pass on that, since Anne Rice's SISTER gets to mention
Anne Rice. Even when she's writing werewolf books. Which were pretty good, if not my
favorites. I have all 3.

Agreed. Anne Rice is not to be compared to unless the writer has the skill and balls to back up that claim. Borchardt gets to because of family relations and, from what I've heard, her books are actually really good. I've thought of picking them up myself.

Also! Anne Rice released a werewolf inspired book during Valentines called The Wolf Gift. I'm only about 25% through on my kindle but so far it's going pretty good. It's not as... prosey as the Vampire Chronicles. Her writing seems much more simple and straightforward this time around compared to her previous supernatural books. This isn't a bad thing, though. I think it seems very fitting for the story at this point.
I read Unleashed the other day and while it isn't horrid, its not the best werewolf book I have read either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff