Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nita-Hana-Merodi
Slayer Igraine
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?
I like to read about romance/fantasy/folklore/Japanese culture and ect?

There's a series of three books that might suit you, Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. The first is called Across the Nightingale Floor. It's fantasy, but set in feudal Japan.

I've read Across the Nightingale Floor.
But, I'll make sure I read the rest of the series.
Thank You!

the mighty green hat

Have you read anything by Holly Black? "Valiant", "Tithe", and "Ironside" are modern faerie tales with some romance twined into it, basically like a second plot line. It's a little bit darker than some others that I've read, though. Also, the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare is pretty good (I know I've mentioned it before lol). It's a fantasy story, with a fair amount of romance... with a twist! (Oh ho ho!)

I've read the Holly Black series, I only like Tithe and Ironside.
I've only read City of Bones.
I'll make sure I read the second and thrid book.
Thank You!
ah ha... no problem. The third one comes out in march, by the way >.< (city of glass. have you noticed all of the titles have the same amount of letters in them? lol)
Well its probably been asked a lot, so sorry if I'm just reposting something like someone else...
I'm well into myths and fairytale stuff (yes,I've read the Tithe series, loved them), and like anyone else here, I want some other books to read.I've read The House of Night Series, Twilight (didn't really enjoy it though), Vampire academy, Dangerous Angels,and various books that'd take a while to list, but I want some other supernatural books.Also, nothing too graphic please?
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?

Can folklore be Irish folklore? The Sevenwaters trilogy by Juliet Marillier is excellent.
lost_asiangirl
Well its probably been asked a lot, so sorry if I'm just reposting something like someone else...
I'm well into myths and fairytale stuff (yes,I've read the Tithe series, loved them), and like anyone else here, I want some other books to read.I've read The House of Night Series, Twilight (didn't really enjoy it though), Vampire academy, Dangerous Angels,and various books that'd take a while to list, but I want some other supernatural books.Also, nothing too graphic please?

These are adult books, but not terribly difficult reads. My recommendations are as follows:

The Onion Girl
by Charles de Lint
Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

At the Young Adult level, and in relation to fairytales, you may want to try:
Beastly by Alex Flinn
Once Upon a Time series ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_A_Time..._(book_series) )
I'm into (modern) realistic fiction kinds of stories and even some fantasies like Meg Cabot's books, or Stephenie Meyer/Cassandra Clare's books.
Oh, and I really really like romance to be included in my books, without them to me they're a bore,
so any recommendations?
Starfall Darling
lost_asiangirl

These are adult books, but not terribly difficult reads. My recommendations are as follows:

The Onion Girl
by Charles de Lint
Someplace to Be Flying by Charles de Lint
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

At the Young Adult level, and in relation to fairytales, you may want to try:
Beastly by Alex Flinn
Once Upon a Time series ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_A_Time..._(book_series) )

Thanks a lot.I'll be sure to check them out
Hi! I'm looking for some recs for someone between the ages of 19 and 21. :] Not a big fantasy fan, and would prefer to have books out of the fiction section as opposed to books from young adult. :]

Some of my favorite books that I've read in the past are:

The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Memoirs of a Geisha, God-Shaped Hole, and Candy.

='D

Hotaru Yuriko
Hi! I'm looking for some recs for someone between the ages of 19 and 21. :] Not a big fantasy fan, and would prefer to have books out of the fiction section as opposed to books from young adult. :]

The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Memoirs of a Geisha, God-Shaped Hole, and Candy.

='D

You could try Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job. It has a more supernatural-ish plot, so that might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Do you like history? You might want to check out (graphic novels, I guess?) Maus I & II. They're about a survivor's struggle through the holocaust. Very good books! :3

And on an unrelated note: woo, yay! this thread was stickied User Image
elleeldritch
Hotaru Yuriko

='D

You could try Christopher Moore's A Dirty Job. It has a more supernatural-ish plot, so that might not be exactly what you're looking for.

Do you like history? You might want to check out (graphic novels, I guess?) Maus I & II. They're about a survivor's struggle through the holocaust. Very good books! :3

And on an unrelated note: woo, yay! this thread was stickied User Image

Omg, I've actually read that! XD Well, I got about 3/4 of the way through it a couple years ago and never finished it, then gave it back to my friend. xD I did enjoy it though!
Hotaru Yuriko

='D

I work at a library, and the books you mentioned enjoying are some that many book groups in the area have been reading. One book that comes highly recommended by them (and is on my To Read List), is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. The Wikipedia page about it is Here.
Riniian
I'm into (modern) realistic fiction kinds of stories and even some fantasies like Meg Cabot's books, or Stephenie Meyer/Cassandra Clare's books.
Oh, and I really really like romance to be included in my books, without them to me they're a bore,
so any recommendations?

If you're okay with adult fiction, I'd recommend books by Sophie Kinsella, my favorite being Can You Keep a Secret?. They're a bit like Meg Cabot in that they have a lot of fluffy romance.
Xenophobix
Alright now that I've helped a few people, I need help now. I need a fantasy novel because my teacher and parents are *****ing about how I always read sci-fi. I need a fantasy novel that is complex and has alot of twists and turns, with some romance into it. I don't want Twilight. I really need a fantasy thats in the future,but with magic in it too (It doesnt have to be in the future though, just recommend what you think is right.) Thanks for all your help heart

I'm surprised nobody has recommended the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind to you. This series has everything you described and more. Start with Wizards First Rule. You could also try The Wayfarer Redemption series by Sara Douglass.
Hotaru Yuriko

='D

Read Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. Amaaaazing.
Starfall Darling
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?

If you haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha, it's a good one. Not fantasy, but tons about Japanese culture.

The other recommendation I have is Autumn Bridge by Takashi Matsuoka. It's historical. Here's a summary:
In the year 1311, in the highest tower of Cloud of Sparrows Castle, a beautiful woman sits by the window, watching as enemies gather below and fires spread through the night. As she calmly awaits her fate, she begins to write, carefully setting down on a scroll the secret history of the Okumichi clan…of the gift of prophecy they share and the extraordinary destiny that awaits them.

For six centuries, these remarkable writings lay hidden—until they are uncovered by an American woman, a missionary named Emily Gibson, who arrived in Edo harbor in 1861, in flight from a tragic past. Soon an extraordinary man would enter her life: Lord Genji of the Okumichi clan, a nobleman with a gift of prophecy who must defend his embattled family—and confront forbidden feelings for an outsider in his midst. Emily, too, soon finds herself at a turning point; courted by two westerners, she knows her heart belongs to the one man she cannot have. But Emily has found a mission of her own: translating Genji’s ancestral history, losing herself in an epic tale of heroism and forbidden love.

For here is the story of Lady Shizuka, the beautiful witch-princess who has enchanted Okumichi men for generations…of Genji’s ancestors, Lord Hironobu and Lord Kiyori, and of the terrible betrayals that befell them…and of Genji’s parents: a wastrel father and his child bride whose tragic love has shaped Genji as a leader and as a man. As Emily sifts through the fragile scrolls, she begins to see threads of her own life woven into the ancient writings. And as past and present collide, a hidden history comes to life, and with it a secret prophecy that has been shrouded for centuries, and may now finally be revealed. Takashi Matsuoka’s spellbinding novel is infused with spectacle, intricately woven, magically told. Autumn Bridge is a feast for the senses, a work of truly dazzling storytelling.

I've read and seen Memoirs of Geisha, I love it.
And, I will check out Autumn Bridge.
Thank You!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas