Welcome to Gaia! ::

I need something Victorian/Edwardian or Civil War
I also would really like some good steampunk suggestions if anyone has any.
Miharu Skii
I need something Victorian/Edwardian or Civil War
I also would really like some good steampunk suggestions if anyone has any.

I can't really recommend them because I haven't read them myself yet, but there are two steampunk anthologies I'm getting for Christmas: This one and This one. I'll let you know if they're any good, if you want. Other than that, have you tried any H.G. Wells or Jules Verne? The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, Around the World in Eighty Days, etc. are all considered Steampunk. There's also Tim Powers' The Anubis Gates you could try. smile
What period of historical fiction do you like? I read a good series (the Troy series) by an Author called David Gemmell, the books are: Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder & Fall of Kings. It is, unsurprisingly, about the Troy myth, and the fall of Troy. I enjoyed it and found it very readable, once I'd got passed the points where he deviates from the myths. razz (I study Greek & Roman Classics, so I'm a it of a myth geek).

I like the elizbeathen/renissance time periods. I am a romantic at heart and i seem to always find those. I could use books that have some romance but not so much tht its over bearing.
monochan
Xenophobix
Alright now that I've helped a few people, I need help now. I need a fantasy novel because my teacher and parents are *****ing about how I always read sci-fi. I need a fantasy novel that is complex and has alot of twists and turns, with some romance into it. I don't want Twilight. I really need a fantasy thats in the future,but with magic in it too (It doesnt have to be in the future though, just recommend what you think is right.) Thanks for all your help heart

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is good, lots of excellent character development (although none of them are really LIKEABLE lol). Some pretty disturbing content xp but I highly recommend it. First book is A Game of Thrones.

Dang, I come back here so often I should just become a volunteer too. blaugh

Yes, yes you should. razz In fact, if you help someone else, I'll just add you to the list. Deal? :3 (unless you want me to add you now, of course).
I need a new book?
I like to read about romance/fantasy/folklore/Japanese culture and ect?
If you like to read about talking animals with human characteristics then this is the book for you. "Urchin of Mismantle"
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?
Have you read anything by Holly Black? "Valiant", "Tithe", and "Ironside" are modern faerie tales with some romance twined into it, basically like a second plot line. It's a little bit darker than some others that I've read, though. Also, the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare is pretty good (I know I've mentioned it before lol). It's a fantasy story, with a fair amount of romance... with a twist! (Oh ho ho!)
Josephine Sena
What period of historical fiction do you like? I read a good series (the Troy series) by an Author called David Gemmell, the books are: Lord of the Silver Bow, Shield of Thunder & Fall of Kings. It is, unsurprisingly, about the Troy myth, and the fall of Troy. I enjoyed it and found it very readable, once I'd got passed the points where he deviates from the myths. razz (I study Greek & Roman Classics, so I'm a it of a myth geek).

I like the elizbeathen/renissance time periods. I am a romantic at heart and i seem to always find those. I could use books that have some romance but not so much tht its over bearing. The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier is quite good (Renaissance)
Also Girl With A Pearl Earring (slightly outside the time range)
Slayer Igraine
monochan
Xenophobix
Alright now that I've helped a few people, I need help now. I need a fantasy novel because my teacher and parents are *****ing about how I always read sci-fi. I need a fantasy novel that is complex and has alot of twists and turns, with some romance into it. I don't want Twilight. I really need a fantasy thats in the future,but with magic in it too (It doesnt have to be in the future though, just recommend what you think is right.) Thanks for all your help heart

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is good, lots of excellent character development (although none of them are really LIKEABLE lol). Some pretty disturbing content xp but I highly recommend it. First book is A Game of Thrones.

Dang, I come back here so often I should just become a volunteer too. blaugh

Yes, yes you should. razz In fact, if you help someone else, I'll just add you to the list. Deal? :3 (unless you want me to add you now, of course).
Done. xd
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?

There's a series of three books that might suit you, Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. The first is called Across the Nightingale Floor. It's fantasy, but set in feudal Japan.
Slayer Igraine
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?

There's a series of three books that might suit you, Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. The first is called Across the Nightingale Floor. It's fantasy, but set in feudal Japan.

I've read Across the Nightingale Floor.
But, I'll make sure I read the rest of the series.
Thank You!

the mighty green hat

Have you read anything by Holly Black? "Valiant", "Tithe", and "Ironside" are modern faerie tales with some romance twined into it, basically like a second plot line. It's a little bit darker than some others that I've read, though. Also, the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare is pretty good (I know I've mentioned it before lol). It's a fantasy story, with a fair amount of romance... with a twist! (Oh ho ho!)

I've read the Holly Black series, I only like Tithe and Ironside.
I've only read City of Bones.
I'll make sure I read the second and thrid book.
Thank You!
well hears a list of some books I've really enjoyed

-all Harry Potter
-all Twilight
-Ella Enchanted
-The School Story
-Frindle
-The Landry News
-Things Not Seen
-The Jacket
-The Report Card
- ect.
missylissy13
well hears a list of some books I've really enjoyed

-all Harry Potter
-all Twilight
-Ella Enchanted
-The School Story
-Frindle
-The Landry News
-Things Not Seen
-The Jacket
-The Report Card
- ect.

Sorry, but this isn't really a thread to list your favourite books, or books you've enjoyed. There's a sticky at the top of the forum for talk about favourite books. You're welcome to post here, but please try and direct your recommendations at one of the people actually asking for new books to read, and try and tailor your recommendations to what they're asking for. smile Just because you like a book doesn't mean it's a good recommendation for the other person. For instance, recommending Harry Potter to someone stating they want to read biographies, sci-fi or horror isn't really a good recommendation at all. smile
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?

If you haven't read Memoirs of a Geisha, it's a good one. Not fantasy, but tons about Japanese culture.

The other recommendation I have is Autumn Bridge by Takashi Matsuoka. It's historical. Here's a summary:
In the year 1311, in the highest tower of Cloud of Sparrows Castle, a beautiful woman sits by the window, watching as enemies gather below and fires spread through the night. As she calmly awaits her fate, she begins to write, carefully setting down on a scroll the secret history of the Okumichi clan…of the gift of prophecy they share and the extraordinary destiny that awaits them.

For six centuries, these remarkable writings lay hidden—until they are uncovered by an American woman, a missionary named Emily Gibson, who arrived in Edo harbor in 1861, in flight from a tragic past. Soon an extraordinary man would enter her life: Lord Genji of the Okumichi clan, a nobleman with a gift of prophecy who must defend his embattled family—and confront forbidden feelings for an outsider in his midst. Emily, too, soon finds herself at a turning point; courted by two westerners, she knows her heart belongs to the one man she cannot have. But Emily has found a mission of her own: translating Genji’s ancestral history, losing herself in an epic tale of heroism and forbidden love.

For here is the story of Lady Shizuka, the beautiful witch-princess who has enchanted Okumichi men for generations…of Genji’s ancestors, Lord Hironobu and Lord Kiyori, and of the terrible betrayals that befell them…and of Genji’s parents: a wastrel father and his child bride whose tragic love has shaped Genji as a leader and as a man. As Emily sifts through the fragile scrolls, she begins to see threads of her own life woven into the ancient writings. And as past and present collide, a hidden history comes to life, and with it a secret prophecy that has been shrouded for centuries, and may now finally be revealed. Takashi Matsuoka’s spellbinding novel is infused with spectacle, intricately woven, magically told. Autumn Bridge is a feast for the senses, a work of truly dazzling storytelling.
Nita-Hana-Merodi
Slayer Igraine
Nita-Hana-Merodi
I need a new book?

I've read Across the Nightingale Floor.
But, I'll make sure I read the rest of the series.
Thank You!

Apparently she's also written a prequel to the trilogy. That may be worth checking out too, but I haven't read it myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff