Welcome to Gaia! ::

the mighty green hat
Hiya! I really like to read, but i seem to be having trouble finding newer books -cough cough-
i really like books such as the mortal instruments series by Cassandra Clare, Harry Potter, and a few of Holly Black's books. Also, a lot of new books that i've started to read are PAINFULLY easy! I need hard books!! (but not too hard)
another thing, also. I've started getting more into fantasy, but I usually prefer things to have a little bit of romance in it, though it doesn't necessarily have to be the main focus of the novel.

I actually read alot sci-fi books which are very complicated and has twisting story lines. I occasionally read some fantasy novels; I recommend you reading the Bartimaeus series by Jonathon Stroud. It has some romance into it and a thrilling storyline filled with magic and spells. IF that doesn't satisfy you I recommend the Abhorsen trilogy By Garth Nix; The first book is mostly a prelude to the real story; The second book is about the main character Lirael who feels lost and out of place, and doesn't fit in with most people. Hope this helps
Alright now that I've helped a few people, I need help now. I need a fantasy novel because my teacher and parents are *****ing about how I always read sci-fi. I need a fantasy novel that is complex and has alot of twists and turns, with some romance into it. I don't want Twilight. I really need a fantasy thats in the future,but with magic in it too (It doesnt have to be in the future though, just recommend what you think is right.) Thanks for all your help heart
plushiesexual
Ooh, also looking for some good urban fantasy titles, like Ironside? =D

Have you ever read anything by Charles de Lint? He's all about urban fantasy.
At the young adult level, he has:
The Blue Girl (HIGHLY recommended. I adored it)
Little (Grrl) Lost

And at the adult level, he has:
The Onion Girl (my very favorite)
Spirits in the Wires
Someplace to Be Flying

And these are only a few! If you read these any decide you like them, this man has TONS of others!
Xenophobix
Alright now that I've helped a few people, I need help now. I need a fantasy novel because my teacher and parents are *****ing about how I always read sci-fi. I need a fantasy novel that is complex and has alot of twists and turns, with some romance into it. I don't want Twilight. I really need a fantasy thats in the future,but with magic in it too (It doesnt have to be in the future though, just recommend what you think is right.) Thanks for all your help heart

Hmm, let's see. I'll see if I can include some summaries here, so you'll have an idea what they're about.

The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings {This book is long, but a fulfilling read.} - "It would be sheer folly to try to conceal the true nature of Althalus, for his flaws are the stuff of legend. He is, as all men know, a thief, a liar, an occasional murderer, an outrageous braggart, and a man devoid of even the slightest hint of honor.
Yet of all the men in the world, it is Althalus, unrepentant rogue and scoundrel, who will become the champion of humanity in its desperate struggle against the forces of an ancient god determined to return the universe to nothingness. On his way to steal The Book from the House at the End of the World, Althalus is confronted by a cat--a cat with eyes like emeralds, the voice of a woman, and the powers of a goddess.
She is Dweia, sister to The Gods and a greater thief even than Althalus. She must be: for in no time at all, she has stolen his heart. And more. She has stolen time itself. For when Althalus leaves the House at the End of the World, much wiser but not a day older than when he''d first entered it, thousands of years have gone by.
But Dweia is not the only one able to manipulate time. Her evil brother shares the power, and while Dweia has been teaching Althalus the secrets of The Book, the ancient God has been using the dark magic of his ownBook to rewrite history. Yet all is not lost. But only if Althalus, still a thief at heart, can bring together a ragtag group of men, women, and children with no reason to trust him or each other.
Boldly written and brilliantly imagined, The Redemption of Althalus is an epic fantasy to be savored in the reading and returned to again and again for the wisdom, excitement, and humor that only the Eddingses can provide."

The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint {This one is urban fantasy} - "In novel after novel, and story after story, Charles de Lint has brought an entire imaginary North American city to vivid life. Newford: where magic lights dark streets; where myths walk clothed in modern shapes; where a broad cast of extraordinary and affecting people work to keep the whole world turning.At the center of all the entwined lives of Newford stands a young artist named Jilly Coppercorn, with her tangled hair, her paint-splattered jeans, a smile perpetually on her lipsJilly, whose paintings capture the hidden beings that dwell in the citys shadows. Now, at last, de Lint tells Jillys own story . . . for behind the painters fey charm lies a dark secret and a past shes labored to forget. And that past is coming to claim her now. Im the onion girl, Jilly Coppercorn says. Pull back the layers of my life, and you wont find anything at the core. Just a broken child. A hollow girl. Shes very, very good at running. But life has just forced Jilly to stop."

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman {Anything by Neil Gaiman is gold} - "Richard Mayhew is a young man with a good heart and an ordinarylife, which is changed forever when he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. His small act of kindness propels him into a world he never dreamed existed. There are people who fall through the cracks, and Richard has become one of them. And he must learn to survive in this city of shadows and darkness, monsters and saints, murderers and angels, if he is ever to return to the London that he knew."

Green Rider by Kristen Britain {There are a couple sequels to this now} - "Karigan Galadheon, running away from school, is traveling through a deep forest when a galloping horse pounds up to her, its rider impaled by two black-shafted arrows. With his dying breath, he tells her he is a Green Rider, one of the magical messengers of the King. Before he dies, he makes Karigan swear to deliver the message heas carrying, and gives her his green coat, with the symbolic brooch of his office. Pursued by unknown assassins, following a path only her horse seems to know, Karigan becomes a legendary Green Riderafor when given to the right person, a Rider's brooch awakens the magic inside."

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle {This one is CLASSIC} - "The story begins in a lilac wood with two hunters discussing the disappearance of unicorns from the world. One is convinced that a unicorn still may exist, due to the almost magical properties of the forest and calls out to her warning her to stay in her forest to protect herself since she is most certainly the last of her kind. The unicorn does hear him and is troubled enough by his words to leave the safety of her forest to ascertain the truth. On her journey through a world unknown to her, she encounters a varied range of characters, from a mad king and an old witch to an enigmatic butterfly and a band of outlaws. However, she is ultimately aided by a bumbling and incompetent magician, a care-worn kitchenmaid, and a love-torn prince. Through their friendship and assistance, the unicorn is able to discover what exactly has happened to her kind and ultimately, how to save them from being captured by the Red Bull."

Well, there are a few suggestions. None of them are terribly futuristic, but they're must-reads, and good stepping stones for getting into the fantasy genre. Hope that was helpful!
the mighty green hat
Hiya! I really like to read, but i seem to be having trouble finding newer books -cough cough-
i really like books such as the mortal instruments series by Cassandra Clare, Harry Potter, and a few of Holly Black's books. Also, a lot of new books that i've started to read are PAINFULLY easy! I need hard books!! (but not too hard)
another thing, also. I've started getting more into fantasy, but I usually prefer things to have a little bit of romance in it, though it doesn't necessarily have to be the main focus of the novel.

If you haven't yet, you might want to try Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr. It reminded me a little of Holly Black's work. I read it around the same time as I read The Mortal Instruments series, and Holly Black's stuff. You may also want to try A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, and Into the Wild by Sarah Durst. Also, there's Inkheart by Cornelia Funke, which although it's aimed at a younger audience much like Harry Potter was, is fantastic.
Xenophobix

try Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan or The Demonata by Darren Shan. The Demonata is a little more explicit.

Fatcat

Xenophobix

Try the "Winds of the Forelands" series by David B. Coe. It starts with "Rules of Ascension." There's a lot of political intrigue, a very complex plot, and enough romance to be fun, but not overwhelming. There's also magic, and it's very well-integrated into the different societies of the world.
Xenophobix
If you want a bit of a darker story, you could try the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare. It's in New York, and there's... well, you'll have to read it xD. Anyway, it's fantasy, but it also focuses more on the adventure or fighting aspects of the genre (enchanted blades etc...) It's a bit easy, and the foreshadowing is anything but subtle, but i'd still highly recommend it smile
Xenophobix

George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series is good, lots of excellent character development (although none of them are really LIKEABLE lol). Some pretty disturbing content xp but I highly recommend it. First book is A Game of Thrones.

Dang, I come back here so often I should just become a volunteer too. blaugh
Xenophobix

Have you read the Abarat series by Clive Barker? It fits pretty much all of your standards except for the "in the future" bit, but it's still extremely complex and interesting (and yes, there is some romance... though not too much in the first book, I think it gets more romantic later on).
Okay gaiz, instead of making a thread, I'll post here:
I need a book that has a monstrous character. Think of Frankenstein's monster kind of guy. The closer it is to Frankenstein's monster, the better. Even Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series I'll read.
Romance is definitely allowed.

NO Holly Black, Robin McKinley, VAMPIRES OR WEREWOLVES, and no The Gargoyle.

I kind of want: outcast monster gets a girlfriend.

Any help?
Jakkaru
I need a book that has a monstrous character. Think of Frankenstein's monster kind of guy. The closer it is to Frankenstein's monster, the better. Even Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series I'll read.

Any help?

Mercedes Lackey wrote an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast called The Fire Rose. Not entirely sure if that's what you're looking for, since the focus of the story isn't really on the Beast, but it's one of her better books.
I'm looking for something epic that I can totally fall into something along the lines of Robin Hobbs...any suggestions?
Jakkaru

Any help?

Well, you could try "Beastly" by Alex Flinn. It's another Beauty and the Beast type story, based off the fairytale, but modern. I really quite enjoyed it.
fairyQueen18
I'm looking for something epic that I can totally fall into something along the lines of Robin Hobbs...any suggestions?

I've never read anything by Robin Hobb, but from what I can tell from her Wikipedia page, it's fantasy fiction, right? So, you want an epic fantasy. Here are a few you might want to look at.

The Band of Four series by Ed Greenwood
-These books are complete fantasy, kind of adventurers-go-on-epic-quest thing. I really enjoyed them.

I believe I mentioned this one earlier, but if you want something awesome without having to start a series, try The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings.

I always loved the Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey, so I'd suggest that. The one I started with was Take a Thief, which worked out well because it wasn't part of a trilogy.

Another trilogy I enjoyed was The Halfblood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey. I hope this helped!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff