Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Book Recommendation Thread

The Books Forum is overwhelmed by threads of 'recommend me a book!' and 'looking for a new book...' etc.

The idea is that I, and hopefully others, will hang around in this thread and if you want a book recommendation, you're looking for a new read, etc., you can come here, and we'll do our best to give you some good suggestions. That way, the rest of the forum can be filled with actual threads discussing texts (we can only hope).

You're also welcome to leave feedback on whether the recommendations you were given where what you were looking for or not.

Rules:

1. Obey gaia TOS & the forum rules.
2. Play nice kiddies, I want no slagging matches over Twilight, or anything like that.
3. Don't recommend the same book to everyone. If one person says they want a romantic comedy and the next is looking for a horrific crime novel the same book is not going to please them both. If you can't recommend a book that you genuinely think they might like, leave it to someone else. Recommendations should not be a list of your favourite books.
4. By all means, disagree with someone's recommendations. If someone has recommended a book as a good horror novel, and you don't think it actually is a horror novel, you're welcome to say so, just keep it civil.
5. If you're here looking for a book recommendation, give us some hints on what kind of books you like, or what kind of genre you're after. The more info you give us, the more likely that our recommendations will be ones you like.
6. Please don't throw random recommendations out to no one in particular. In all likelihood all you're doing is listing your favourite book, there's a sticky for that. There is no way you can be sane and think that you can recommend the same book to absolutely everyone. Don't do it. O_o
7. Suggestions on how to improve the thread are welcome.
8. Anyone is welcome to recommend a book.
c'mon people, give this thread some love. Let's see if we can't cut down on the number of 'recommendation' threads that take over this forum.
I will have to keep this thread in mind when I am done with the "Left Behind" series, although I do still have a long reading list a head of me. But if anyone likes vampire books that are out of the normal blood sucking creepy vampire I would recommend the "House of Night" Series by P.C. Cast it is really different from other vampire books.
I didn't really like the House of Night books. Well, I actually only read the first, but I didn't think it as very well written. =/

Anyway, this thread is a good idea, thanks! ^^
I'm on the lookout for dark fantasy. I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction. I've already read all of Neil Gaiman's stuff, Anne Bishop's stuff, Garth Nix's stuff. I tried reading Holly Black and didn't really like it.

I'll keep checking back on this thread, I also like the idea.
I'm subscribing to this thread. I know the books subforum can be slow >.> but hopefully this will live on!

I'd like to throw a recommendation out to someone. The Death Artist by Jonathan Santlofer. It's a very interesting read if you like Art (history) or paintings. The book is about a serial killer (I guess serial.. a murderer in general sweatdrop ) that kills people in the way that people are dying/killed in paintings. Does that make sense? :3 I don't remember how I found this book, but I'm really glad I did.
monochan
I'm on the lookout for dark fantasy. I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction. I've already read all of Neil Gaiman's stuff, Anne Bishop's stuff, Garth Nix's stuff. I tried reading Holly Black and didn't really like it.

I'll keep checking back on this thread, I also like the idea.

Have you tried Michael Moorcock's, Elic of Melnibone? His writing style is very different from Gaiman and Nix's, but it's certainly dark fantasy. :3
So any recommendations for books I should read?
I enjoy books like these

-Tithe/Ironside/ Valiant
-Wicked lovely/ Ink Exchange
-All Harry Potter's
-Blood and chocolate
-The Dark Materials
-Blue Blood series
-Narnia
-Twilight Series
-Abarat
-The Host
Anyone got any book reccs for me?

My favorite books are The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, The Harry Potter Series, My Sister's Keeper and Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult, and Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I've read the first two books of the Twilight Series and really liked them too.

So, any reccs?
Icegirl13
I enjoy books like these

-Tithe/Ironside/ Valiant
-All Harry Potter's
-Blood and chocolate
-The Dark Materials
-Blue Blood series
-Narnia
-Twilight Series
-Abarat
-The Host

I was surprised The Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix wasn't on that list of yours. Have you read them? If not, they may be a series you'd enjoy.
Icegirl13
I enjoy books like these

-Tithe/Ironside/ Valiant
-All Harry Potter's
-Blood and chocolate
-The Dark Materials
-Blue Blood series
-Narnia
-Twilight Series
-Abarat
-The Host

Well, I like some of these books (screw twilight) and o also liked these:
Inkheart/Inkspell/Inkdeath
The Artemis Fowl series
Percy Jackson and the olympians series
Call of the wild
The pigman
Iceberg Hermit
A christmas carol
The land of elyon series
To Kill A Mocking Bird
A Separate Peace
Rowanoverdramatic
Anyone got any book reccs for me?

My favorite books are The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, The Harry Potter Series, My Sister's Keeper and Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult, and Before I Die by Jenny Downham. I've read the first two books of the Twilight Series and really liked them too.

So, any reccs?

Hmm, bar the Harry Potter series I haven't read any of those, so I can't really help you. Anyone else got some recommendations?
Uhh. Can I be a volunteer? I'm especially good at recommending sci-fi books. I've already made some of my friends fall in love with some.

5,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
elleeldritch
I'm subscribing to this thread. I know the books subforum can be slow >.> but hopefully this will live on!

I'd like to throw a recommendation out to someone. The Death Artist by Jonathan Santlofer. It's a very interesting read if you like Art (history) or paintings. The book is about a serial killer (I guess serial.. a murderer in general sweatdrop ) that kills people in the way that people are dying/killed in paintings. Does that make sense? :3 I don't remember how I found this book, but I'm really glad I did.

That reminds me of a book that my boyfriend read a few years ago called 'The Dante Club' it's about this guy who goes around and kills people in a way that portrays the seven levels of Hell....I think that's what it's about anyway

5,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
I'm usually pretty good at recommending books...I want to be a volunteer XD

as for now I recommend these books:

The Lost Years of Merlin Series-
~The Lost years of Merlin
~The Seven Songs of Merlin
~The Fires of Merlin
~The Mirror of Merlin
~The Wings of Merlin