Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aekea Scarface

xcentrik_x
I need a few books to read for break. I like sci-fi and fantasy more than anything. These are some of my favorite books and authors:

- Harry Potter series
- Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside by Holly Black
- Sarah Dessen
- Michael Crichton (or however his name goes. Wrote Andromeda Strain)
- Phillip Pullman
- Stephen King
- Scott Westerfeld
- Ted Dekker
- Dan Brown
- David Clement-Davies

I'm also looking for some good horror books. Nothing I've found so far has satisfied me.

Although I haven't read it in a while, I remember really liking The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron. It's a 5-book series {beginning with the title I just listed} which depicts the youth of the wizard, Merlin. It's more interesting -- I think -- than it sounds. I'm just bad at explanations. xD

A friend has said that Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule is a very good epic fantasy novel.

Here's the plot description from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Richard Cypher's decision to help a woman in the Upper Ven near the Boundary between the Midlands and Westland sires more trouble than first appears. Kahlan Amnell seeks the help of a wizard in the Westland, and she brings with her dark news from the other side of the Boundary: Darken Rahl, Ruler of D'Hara, has brought down the other Boundary between D'Hara and the Midlands. This menacing ruler continues his dead father's quest for control by pressing war on the now vulnerable Midlands. Kahlan wants the wizard to name a Seeker of Truth who can try to stop Darken Rahl. When she finds the Old Wizard, he names Richard to be the Seeker and starts him on the quest that will forever alter the world.

User Image

It also happens to be the first book in a series, of 11 epic fantasy novels, called The Sword of Truth.

It isn't a novel, but it's still a really fascinating read in my opinion. This is a hypertext horror story: Dionaea House.
xcentrik_x
I need a few books to read for break. I like sci-fi and fantasy more than anything. These are some of my favorite books and authors:

- Harry Potter series
- Sarah Dessen
- Phillip Pullman
- Stephen King
- Scott Westerfeld
- Ted Dekker
- Dan Brown
- David Clement-Davies

I'm also looking for some good horror books. Nothing I've found so far has satisfied me.

Hm, what horror have you read? Two of King's best horror novels are It and The Shining, it may be worth trying those to out unless you've already read a load of King and hated it. Have you read any Lovecraft? His stuff isn't frightening, but it's macabre and extremely well written.
xcentrik_x

- Harry Potter series
- Sarah Dessen
- Phillip Pullman
- Stephen King
- Scott Westerfeld
- Ted Dekker
- Dan Brown
- David Clement-Davies

Anne Bishop: *slightly* more adult fantasy *coughgraphicsexviolencecough* Good books, though
Jim Butcher: Codex Alera (standard fantasy fare) and Dresden Files (detective wizard with monsters, zombies, vampires, and demons galore! xd )
SOME of John Grisham's books. There are a few good ones out of a bunch that he wrote
Robert Ludlum
here are my recommendations
Harry Potter series
Pendragon series
Here there be Dragons series
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
there are probably some other good ones i can't think of right now
those are on my top list though
heart Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke

heart Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) Christopher Paolini

heart Cirque Du Freak By Darren Shan

heart Demonata by Darren Shan

heart Sweep Series By Cate Tiernan

heart Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

heart All of Diana Wynne Jones my favorites are The Dark Lord of Derkholm, and Year Of The Griffin

heart Maximum Ride by James Patterson

heart Sabriel by Garth Nix

heart Tithe by Holly Black

heart Uninvited by Amanda Marrone

heart Septimus Heap by Angie Sage

heart City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau (movie sucked)
User Image

Okkkk. >__< I love books, but im very fussy with which books i like to read. I really need some... like... amazing books. x3333

I enjoy the Harry Potter series, Twilight series, The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and any book by Jodi Picoult. (:

Any Reccommendations? Thankssssssss. ^____________^

Magical Fae
User Image

Okkkk. >__< I love books, but im very fussy with which books i like to read. I really need some... like... amazing books. x3333

I enjoy the Harry Potter series, Twilight series, The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and any book by Jodi Picoult. (:

Any Reccommendations? Thankssssssss. ^____________^

Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series.
I ADORE the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The first couple are very LOTR-ripoff-ish but as Jordan expands upon his ideas it evolves into this truly amazing series. He died before he finished the last book crying but it WILL be finished, nonetheless!!
Mr_N-Day_2008
here are my recommendations
Harry Potter series
Pendragon series
Here there be Dragons series
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
there are probably some other good ones i can't think of right now
those are on my top list though

Please aim your recommendations at someone specific. And, y'know, try and tailor your recommendations to fit what that person is asking for. If you just want to list your favourite books, there's a sticky for it at the top of the forum. smile
Hermione and Ron
heart Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke

heart Inheritance Cycle (Eragon) Christopher Paolini

heart Cirque Du Freak By Darren Shan

heart Demonata by Darren Shan

heart Sweep Series By Cate Tiernan

heart Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

heart All of Diana Wynne Jones my favorites are The Dark Lord of Derkholm, and Year Of The Griffin

heart Maximum Ride by James Patterson

heart Sabriel by Garth Nix

heart Tithe by Holly Black

heart Uninvited by Amanda Marrone

heart Septimus Heap by Angie Sage

heart City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau (movie sucked)

Again, please direct your recommendations at a specific person asking for them, and tailor your recommendations to suit what they're asking for. You can't possibly think that these recommendations are suitable for 100% of the world's populations. If you just want to list your favourite books, there's a sticky for it at the top of the forum. smile
hotness2thetrotness
cheshirelala
i'm looking for a tragedy but not a horror book. something like the hero dies in the end even tho you dont want them too.

If you're up for Shakespeare, Hamlet the tragedy you just described blaugh

hmmmm, thanks i will try that.

Shy Lunatic

11,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Ironside by Holly Black
(Urban fantasy; has both the quirkiness of real city people and intimidating fairies that still talk with medieval language. Witty.)

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
(Can't think of a real descrip, so stealing from the site XD:
Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown.

But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...
)

Firestorm by David Klass [part of The Caretaker Trilogy]
(Thriller-like action, reads like a movie; real life with dark fantasy/mixed with environmentalism. Sound interesting? Yeah, I think so.)

The Kite Runner by Koled Hosseini
(Tale of two Afghanistan boys, starts from years ago until modern times, really touching.)

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
(soo...saad...TT___TT
story of a girl who was born to give bone marrow to her sister with cancer, and how she basically still has the same purpose years later as a teenager: family dynamics, difficult questions, overall great)

Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
(Stupid title I know, but don't be put fooled: its a Newbury Honor winner, and for a reason.
Not fantasy or medieval as it would sound, but down-to-earth story about mountain girls who actually have to work, and work hard, but find a way to make their lives better...title should give a good hint. ;3)

Shy Lunatic

11,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Ooh, also looking for some good urban fantasy titles, like Ironside? =D
plushiesexual

The closest I can think of is Philip K. d**k's Ubik.

It combines a lot of speculative, fantastic, and science fiction themes, and it's set in a future city (which de-evolves back to a recognizable world). It's really worth the read, even if you don't like the science fiction stuff.
plushiesexual

Huh, this is kind of hard but I think that the Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott. The series is still in progress though... only two books have come out so far [as far as I know it's going to be a six book series].The series is about magicians living with normal people, but they keep their magical lives secret though. The series has alot of real Mythical characters lie Scathach, The Morrigan, etc... The author realy knows his stuff about fantasy. The series also spans all over the world. In the first two books, the main characters start off in california and then in Paris...

Hope this helps.
Hiya! I really like to read, but i seem to be having trouble finding newer books -cough cough-
i really like books such as the mortal instruments series by Cassandra Clare, Harry Potter, and a few of Holly Black's books. Also, a lot of new books that i've started to read are PAINFULLY easy! I need hard books!! (but not too hard)
another thing, also. I've started getting more into fantasy, but I usually prefer things to have a little bit of romance in it, though it doesn't necessarily have to be the main focus of the novel.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff