Welcome to Gaia! ::

PapillonCameo
dark elf fire
Hey! So I have this itch for a fantasy, (You know like dragons, elves (I love elves), knights, that kind of stuff) I'm fine with romance as long as it doesn't drive the plot, or if it's the EXTREMELY sappy kind, and that's about it for my preferences.

You could give Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas a try. It's a YA novel that follows a prisoner trying to fight her way to freedom by winning a tournament against other criminals. And yes, there is romance, a love triangle actually, but the action bits of the books more then make up for it.

I would like a recommendation or a few. I like historical fiction, fantasy, and murder mysteries. I also like paranormal and supernatural books with ghosts and time travel, and science fiction.

Throne of Glass is actually a trilogy, they are: Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, and Heir of Fire. Sarah J Maas is also coming out with a faerie series soon

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer is a really good fantasy retelling of Cinderella, it starts with Cinder. Four books total, five including the prequel, they are: Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Winter(book 4 out 2016) and Fairest(prequel out in January).
The Dog Stars is wonderful, I loved that when I read it.
Danyiele
I need some recommendations. I love fantasy but hate romance. The problem is is that most fantasy books have romance.
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut

Timid Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Survivor 150
I could use some suggestions for a book, I just passed my first ever term paper so I'm rather proud of myself. Anything goes so long as instant romance (to characters immediately declaring they love each other, you know the stuff razz ) is not involved. Stuff I typically read ranges from Lovecraft, to Cyberpunk, with the majority of my reading material being some form of Fantasy or Dresden Files. I do really like the less commonly used mythologies (Like Norse, why don't more people write about Vikings? crying ) and fairy tale retellings.

Cat

Arctic myth
I could use some suggestions for a book, I just passed my first ever term paper so I'm rather proud of myself. Anything goes so long as instant romance (to characters immediately declaring they love each other, you know the stuff razz ) is not involved. Stuff I typically read ranges from Lovecraft, to Cyberpunk, with the majority of my reading material being some form of Fantasy or Dresden Files. I do really like the less commonly used mythologies (Like Norse, why don't more people write about Vikings? crying ) and fairy tale retellings.

Can I recommend Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge? It's a fantasy novel (actually it's children's fantasy but ehhhh) and the world is very interesting. In it, books are thought to be dangerous and a lot of them are banned so only government approved books are around. Here is the summary::

Twelve-year-old Mosca Mye hasn't got much. Her parents are dead, her cruel uncle keeps her locked away, and her only friend is her pet goose. But she does have one small, rare thing: the ability to read. In a world where books are dangerous things, this gift will change her life—but it may also be the death of her.

I honestly could not put the book down when I started and I was sad to have it end. Apparently there might be a sequel in the works (!!!). But ye, good book, interesting characters, endlessly fascinating world, words are weapons basically. It's too good ahh it might be my favourite book tbh.
Sorry to pester... burning_eyes

Timid Hunter

9,200 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Survivor 150
elfboyx
Arctic myth

Can I recommend Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge? It's a fantasy novel (actually it's children's fantasy but ehhhh) and the world is very interesting. In it, books are thought to be dangerous and a lot of them are banned so only government approved books are around. Here is the summary::

Twelve-year-old Mosca Mye hasn't got much. Her parents are dead, her cruel uncle keeps her locked away, and her only friend is her pet goose. But she does have one small, rare thing: the ability to read. In a world where books are dangerous things, this gift will change her life—but it may also be the death of her.

I honestly could not put the book down when I started and I was sad to have it end. Apparently there might be a sequel in the works (!!!). But ye, good book, interesting characters, endlessly fascinating world, words are weapons basically. It's too good ahh it might be my favourite book tbh.

Hehe, that may work, and even if i don't like it sure my brother will. Thanks smile
Any book suggestions for a 20-year-old girl?

Something preferably not too long, as I'm just getting back into reading. I enjoy adventure, romance, princess/royalty, village settings and SLIGHT fantasy.

I appreciate stories that make you laugh and cry.

I really want something about a girl in her young twenties.

Thanks~

Beloved Giver

9,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Peppermint Starfish
Any book suggestions for a 20-year-old girl?

Something preferably not too long, as I'm just getting back into reading. I enjoy adventure, romance, princess/royalty, village settings and SLIGHT fantasy.

I appreciate stories that make you laugh and cry.

I really want something about a girl in her young twenties.

Thanks~

I'd recommend the Elenium Trilogy by David Eddings. Or even if you want to get back into reading The Hobbit or Lord of The Rings.
Fantasy fan? Willing to kick it old school?

Try "Magician" by Raymond E. Feist.

Rich Punk

15,775 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Solarpowered 250
I'm looking for a tasteful vampire book, without the same cliches as the usual YA Rom ones.

I read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black and that was like, exactly right but now I'm hoping there's more vamp books that are less unable-to-resist-your-vampireness and more holy-crap-vampires-what-do-we-do

Raumata_no longer active_ rolled 1 4-sided dice: 2 Total: 2 (1-4)

Demonic Survivor

6,325 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Dressed Up 200
So... I was wondering of anyone recommend a book that's either Sci-fi, or Paranormal/Occult based.

I'm A-Okay if they have romance, but there should be no school setting that the romance takes place mostly in.

I also want a main character that has an actual family they talk to/are a part of their life or the main character shuts their family out for some reason.

That's about it.

Blessed Genius

10,475 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Timid 100
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knew any good gothic/horror books, other than stuff Stephan King wrote. I want to... broaden my horizons, I guess?

Friendly Phantom

5,850 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
I read a broad range of books from a lot of genres, which range from mysteries to fantasies, to Sci-fi, but I absolutely hate solid romances or chick flickish books (Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants) so I was wondering if anyone recc any good books? I've read books by Stephen King, Cindy Chima WIlliams (Author of the Seven Realms Novels), Hollie Black, Neil Gaiman, Diana Wynn-Jones, Ann McCaffrey (Dragon Riders of Pern), and J.K. Roweling. I was wondering if someone could recc something that's a bit more adult oriented, but still within the Mystery, Fantasy, Sci-Fi range? I don't like solid romances or chick flick books, or literotica, or true crimes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff