Shadowy Hunter

4,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Tipsy 100
Errant Wrath
Tranquil Fears
Errant Wrath
I am feeling pretty tired of the same old thing. I want something dark. Fiction that isn't romance and NOT Young Adult. Any suggestions?

What is the norm for you?

Well the norm has been too much young adult lol I am trying to gravitate to more books with more going on. Or at least are highly entertaining like Lamb by Christopher Moore. My friends keep recommending me things that are too predictable and formulaic for my tastes.

I don't know if you would consider this Young Adult, but Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" Is high fantasy. It is a 12 book series. I really enjoy it. Some moments can be rather dark, in my opinion.

Or the Millennium trilogy. It has some pretty disturbing stuff. I haven't finished all of these books yet, but that was because the other books in a favourite series of mine had been released. Favourites will always win. smile

And this one isn't dark, but I haven't really read another book like it. " The Alchemist " by Paulo Coehlo. I may have spelled his last name incorrectly.

Last one, I have never read them, but my dad and a few friends swear by Stephen King and his Dark Tower series.

If my books aren't what you view as dark, I apologize for sending you in the wrong direction. Sword of Truth, has dark moments, and moments where it seems hopeless, but it's not all dark.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Kalhan Amnell
Anyone with a recommendation?
I've currently just completed reading
The Third Kingdom - Terry Goodkind.

I love his series "Sword of Truth" I am very much into fantasy, but I am trying to read other genres as well. I enjoyed
Mortal Instruments,
Wicked,
Son of a Witch,
Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (all three of them),
The Alchemist - Paulo Colheo( all time favourite),
Born to Run,

for a few books I have read. I will pretty much read anything. Thanks

Have you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy yet? or , if you like parody sci-fi there’s a series called the Xanth series by Piers anthony. There are a lot of puns in them (at least I remember it that way ) , but they are an interesting read. The first in the series is [A Spell for Chameleon /i]

Feral Gekko

8,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tsuki_Kirkland
Kalhan Amnell
Anyone with a recommendation?
I've currently just completed reading
The Third Kingdom - Terry Goodkind.

I love his series "Sword of Truth" I am very much into fantasy, but I am trying to read other genres as well. I enjoyed
Mortal Instruments,
Wicked,
Son of a Witch,
Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (all three of them),
The Alchemist - Paulo Colheo( all time favourite),
Born to Run,

for a few books I have read. I will pretty much read anything. Thanks

Have you read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy yet? or , if you like parody sci-fi there’s a series called the Xanth series by Piers anthony. There are a lot of puns in them (at least I remember it that way ) , but they are an interesting read. The first in the series is [A Spell for Chameleon /i]

I have read LOTR, I really enjoyed them. The hobbit I think is still a favourite. I might have to give " A Spell for Chameleon " Do you know how many are in the series?

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Kalhan Amnell
]

Quite a few, here’s a list:

Xanth
1. A Spell for Chameleon (197 cool
2. The Source of Magic (1979)
3. Castle Roogna (1979)
4. Centaur Aisle (1981)
5. Ogre, Ogre (1982)
6. Night Mare (1982)
7. Dragon on a Pedestal (1983)
8. Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn (1984)
9. Golem in the Gears (1986)
10. Vale of the Vole (1987)
11. Heaven Cent (198 cool
12. Man from Mundania (1989)
13. Isle of View (1990)
14. Question Quest (1991)
15. The Color of Her Panties (1992)
16. Demons Don't Dream (1993)
17. Harpy Thyme (1993)
18. Geis of the Gargoyle (1994)
19. Roc and a Hard Place (1995)
20. Yon Ill Wind (1996)
21. Faun and Games (1997)
22. Zombie Lover (199 cool
23. Xone of Contention (1999)
24. The Dastard (2000)
25. Swell Foop (2001)
26. Up in a Heaval (2002)
27. Cube Route (2003)
28. Currant Events (2004)
29. Pet Peeve (2005)
30. Stork Naked (2006)
31. Air Apparent (2007)
32. Two to the Fifth (200 cool
33. Jumper Cable (2009)
34. Knot Gneiss (2010)
35. Well-Tempered Clavicle (2011)
36. Luck of the Draw (2012)
37. Esrever Doom (2013)
38. Board Stiff (2013)
Spellbound Xanth (omnibus) (1986)
The Magic of Xanth (omnibus) (1987)
More Magic of Xanth (omnibus) (1989)
Piers Anthony's Visual Guide to Xanth (1989) (with Jody Lynn Nye)
A Spell for Chameleon / The Source of Magic / Castle Roogna (omnibus) (1995)
The Continuing Xanth Saga (omnibus) (1997)
Xanth: The Quest for Magic (omnibus) (2002)

Feral Gekko

8,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tsuki_Kirkland

They all tie in together? That is a huge series! I thought a 14 book series was big. haha

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Kalhan Amnell
Tsuki_Kirkland

They all tie in together? That is a huge series! I thought a 14 book series was big. haha

Not really, if I remember right they’re seperate stories.

Feral Gekko

8,125 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Tsuki_Kirkland
Kalhan Amnell
Tsuki_Kirkland

Not really, if I remember right they’re seperate stories.

Fair enough. I will give it a shot. Just have to find it now. haha.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Kalhan Amnell

Good luck, try your local library.
Can anyone recommend something to me, the last book I read was on a nook and despite its high rating, I felt it wasn't at all deserving of it. I'm going to be as specific as I can be since I really need something to read.

I don't read science fiction or mystery, crimes and detectives are just fine though as long as they're fiction and not non-fiction. I prefer adult and dark types of thrillers, fantasy & historical fiction. I prefer fantasies that in no shape resemble any of Tolkien's works so no elves or typical magic or anything that sounds like a RPG game. I don't mind romance as long as there something more to the plot other than the romance itself.

I have read and liked The Giver, Harry Potter series, Anne Bishop's works, Catcher in the Rye, Monster by Walter Dean Meyers, Dante Valentine series book 1 by Lilith Saintcrow, The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, Eat, Prey, Love by Kerreyln Sparks.

No vampires, I feel like the authors writing them are really writing the same thing over and over. I'm fine with werewolves as long as it isn't written by Patricia Briggs (she lost my respect). I'm really trying to explore the steampunk genre but the books I read I couldn't get through them because they were boring, pirates would be nice as long as it isn't the Golden Age of Piracy era and no Victorian era of historical fiction. All other eras are fine though.

Thanks!

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
kyoshiro elric
!

Have you read anything from Agatha Christie? She has written some fictional detective novels you might like. I suggest starting with And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express
Quote:
Have you read anything from Agatha Christie? She has written some fictional detective novels you might like. I suggest starting with And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express

Yes I have, a very long time ago.

O.G. Gaian

kyoshiro elric
I don't read science fiction or mystery, crimes and detectives are just fine though as long as they're fiction and not non-fiction. I prefer adult and dark types of thrillers, fantasy & historical fiction. I prefer fantasies that in no shape resemble any of Tolkien's works so no elves or typical magic or anything that sounds like a RPG game. I don't mind romance as long as there something more to the plot other than the romance itself.

I have read and liked The Giver, Harry Potter series, Anne Bishop's works, Catcher in the Rye, Monster by Walter Dean Meyers, Dante Valentine series book 1 by Lilith Saintcrow, The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, Eat, Prey, Love by Kerreyln Sparks.

Hm... Outlander? Diana Gabaldon, seven (IIRC) titles in the series with a new one due out later this year...

Um. Sharon Kay Penman -- Here Be Dragons and a host of others; they're arranged in trilogies and set in medieval England, from the end of Henry I's reign up through Edward's. The Henry & Eleanor titles are my favorites, personally.

kyoshiro elric
No vampires, I feel like the authors writing them are really writing the same thing over and over. I'm fine with werewolves as long as it isn't written by Patricia Briggs (she lost my respect).

Alice Borchardt, The Silver Wolf. Set in Rome during the Dark Ages. There's a couple sequels, but the first book's the awesome one.

Thanks! I'll give those a try, though I think I might have read the first page of Silver Wolf, not sure, the title sounds familiar.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
kyoshiro elric
Quote:

Yes I have, a very long time ago.

Hmm have you read Sherlock Holmes
Quote:
Hmm have you read Sherlock Holmes

No, nor do I wish to. Thank you for the recommendation anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff