Welcome to Gaia! ::

Parisian Fairy
I'm hoping one of you guys can help me out?

I don't really have a specific genre preference; I just bounce around. Except for the dark vampire/werewolves types - like if Underworld were a book. The really supernaturally heavy kinds. They don't really appeal to me (even though I've read a couple of the Southern Vampire Mysteries/Sookie Stackhouse books and the Twilight Saga, and I liked them).

Some books I enjoyed are:
The Hunger Games Trilogy
Project X
Warm Bodies
Wintergirls
The House Of Night series
The Fearless series
The Artemis Fowl series

The majority of those have a romance aspect to them, and I don't really mind that, as long as it's not sappy and purely what the story's about, y'know?

Sorry the list is somewhat sporadic; like I said, I don't really have a preferred genre.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

A personal favorite of mine is the Ava Delaney series, it's a really good vampire series but not really super dark. Libba Bay has a book series, it's the Gemma Doyle trilogy, it starts with A Great and Terrible Beauty. It's kind of supernatural, but not vampire or werewolf. Have you read Harry Potter? It is definitely in my top ten smile I also recently read a book called Cinder, it's a different futuristic retelling of Cinderella, and it's the first book in a quartet called the Lunar Chronicles, it was really good and unique. I've also read one called Throne of Glass, it's about an assassin who is thrust into a competition to become the "King's Champion" and it also has a supernatural theme but again, not vampires or werewolves.
I have been craving a book with a little bit of supernatural with mystery. Some books that are similar that i have read are the Dark Secret's Series by Elizabeth Chandler and Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey. The main character is a girl that has stumbled onto a mystery that has supernatural experiences in it. I would you really love another book like these if anyone could suggest something.

Newbie Gaian

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
The Sword of Truth series is pretty good, for anyone who likes the fantasy genre. Start off with book one- "Wizard's First Rule." by Terry Goodkind. Awesome- a little kinky- novel.

Feral Raider

10,075 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
Slayer Igraine

May I post links to sites like Wattpad?
I highly recommend the book "Between the lines" by Jodi Picoult for anyone who has a secret obsession with fairy-tales and happily ever afters. Also people with a VERY big imagination. like myself. razz

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Deliacroix
Currently seeking some new reading material. I'm looking for fantasy, thought provoking novels, or something in the realm of Victorian.

Have you read the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carson? ( not certain about the authors name and it's a supernatural/alternate England set in Queen Victoria's time)
Big Brother by Cory Doctrow
And I could give you a huge list of fantasy. Here's some authors:
Sherwood Smith
Tamora Pierce
Glen Cook
Scott Lynch
Stephen Lawhead
Pamela Freeman
Garth Nix
Neil Gaiman
Terry Pratchett

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Golden Serpent Erimin
I want a book with political intrigue and/or taking place during the time of some sort of war or unbalance.

I am currently enjoying ASOIAF and I just bought the first in the Wheel of Time trilogy, but I want a few more books to try out as well. Bonus points if they take place in the past (or a fake past) and have witty characters.

Try The Safehold series by David Weber. It has political intrigue.

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Ricin
I'm really not sure what I'm looking for. I love fantasy novels, but I am kind of bored of the same old D&D, fantasy-adventure type novels. I want something packed full of adventure. I'm looking for a book that sucks you in and you can't put it down.

Ever tried Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb?
The Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia McKillip?
Green Rider series? (though now that I think about it, that is kinda...naaah)
The Lies of Locke Lamora?
Sabriel?
Hmmm, trying to think of books that've sucked me in...
The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
The Black Company series by Glen Cook is good but, it might be a bit dry for you.
The Endless Knot Trilogy was good.
As was The Castings Trilogy.
I dunno...

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Lady Zyzzyva
Hey there! i'd love a couple of new books to read and would love it if someone could give me a recommendation,

I love fantasy, especially books that put their own unique spin on it instead of just ripping of tolkien all the time. I don't care if its urban, dark, light, high, low, etc. As long as its a good read I'm game. I'd love to read a book with a Male MC for a change, because for some reason, the girl is always the main character in fantasy. If you have any suggestions, let me know!

Dresden Files
The Codex Alera both are by Jim Butcher
Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb
Bards of Bone Plain
The Black Company series
The House of Stag (I think that's what it's called..)
The endless knot series
Ummm, The Lies of Locke Lamora
Oath of swords
Epic

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Grandiloquence
Hey guys, any recommendations for some really good horror? Scary or really creepy both work for me.

I'll also contribute with a suggestion of my own!
It's not horror, but books by Kate Morton are pretty good! Specifically The Forgotten Garden. It kept me on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole book.
The Distant Hours and The House at Riverton were a bit slow moving, but still pretty good, I thought.
I'll also warn that the chapters do bounce to different POVs at times, so if you're not into that kind of thing (idk, I know people who aren't), they may be a bit annoying.

I don't know about horror but, is suspense okay?
Sphere by Michael Crighton is good.
And Jurassic Park. And Congo.
Try Dean Koontz too.
Adra Korim
Grandiloquence
Hey guys, any recommendations for some really good horror? Scary or really creepy both work for me.

It's not horror, but books by Kate Morton are pretty good! Specifically The Forgotten Garden. It kept me on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole book.
The Distant Hours and The House at Riverton were a bit slow moving, but still pretty good, I thought.
I'll also warn that the chapters do bounce to different POVs at times, so if you're not into that kind of thing (idk, I know people who aren't), they may be a bit annoying.

Try Dean Koontz too.

I do love suspense! My mom has so many Dean Koontz books, haha!
I'll check out the others, though!
I just haven't found a really good scary book in so long.
Thanks! :3

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Man, I gotta stop posting in here...but it's so much fun!

I apologize if I keep recommending the same books.

Shapeshifter

14,700 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Grandiloquence
Adra Korim
Grandiloquence

Try Dean Koontz too.

Your very welcome. I don't read much suspense/horror so, sorry about the limited recommendations. emotion_sweatdrop
Adra Korim
Grandiloquence
Adra Korim
Grandiloquence

Try Dean Koontz too.

Your very welcome. I don't read much suspense/horror so, sorry about the limited recommendations. emotion_sweatdrop

It's no problem at all! While I definitely prefer horror, I love branching out and reading other genres. There are so many good books out there, and I love reading. One of my friends only reads books like Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. I've tried recommending other books, and she tells me they're not her thing. I'm sitting here holding a book that blew my mind, but she won't read it because it doesn't take place in pretend medieval times. gonk

Quotable Genius

5,650 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I recommend the Rule: A Marked Men Novel. It's the first book to the series. The new one just came out called Jet. SO SO SO GOOD! A must read. xd heart

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff