Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
iLozerCake
I'm looking for some Greek Mythology books.
I'm reading this book called The Goddess Test by: Aimee Carter (great book by the way). The characters are Greek Gods/Goddesses and I don't know ANY of them, so I was wondering is there was any books out there that describes the Gods and their stories.

How deep do you want to get into Greek Myth?
There's the Epics - The Odyssey, The Illiad, The Theogeny,etc
There's the Modern Retellings - Such as The Percy Jackson series, or Xena Warrior Princess/Hercules stuff, Disney's Hercules, Wonder Woman, etc
There's the dry, encyclopedia stuff (ie, the encyclopedia, lol)
Then there's loads of websites who can chop it up into bite size pieces for you.

5,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
hey im looking for any type of book except paranormal i read the hunger games so anything like that
ApplePie1245
heart i need a new book to read. it needs to be a series, somthing to keep me busy for a little while. i like sci-fi/fantasy/medevil/magical.
i have already read:
Harry Potter Series
Beka Cooper Series
Eragon Series
The dead is series
series of unfortunate events Series
WHat would really work for me is something good for light reading somwhere between 300-450 pages would be perfect.
i cant wait for suggestions. heart thank you!

Have you tried the Artemis Fowl series? there are currently 7 books with fairies and dwarves and warlocks and stuff.

Shy Shopper

ive read
hush, hush series
halo series
fallen series
tigers curse series
and im looking for a new series like them

can anyone recomend any for me?! sweatdrop
Hey, I got a new kindle fire the other day and I'm trying to fill it with books to read. What are so good books to read, but nothing like Sparks or Myer?

I've read:
Harry potter series
hunger game series
divergent
thirteen reason why
all of john green book
dragonlance series
a song of ice and fire series
most of marry heggins clark books
most of ellen hopkins books
some of james patterson
etc.
Okay, this may sound like an impossible request these days but does anyone know a good vampire book that doesn't involve romance? Preferably one that isn't set in modern times. Even something that just incorporates vampires but doesn't revolve around them would be good enough.

Ruthless Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Loiterer 100
Recommendations for fantasy/science fiction books?
I am not a big reader but I'm looking for a book with some kind of social message or philosophy.
A book with a realistic (or somewhat realistic) story and rather short (less than 300 pages).
I'm looking for something like The Giver or Jude by Kate Morgenroth (but a bit more mature).

7,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Kairi Nightingale
Okay, this may sound like an impossible request these days but does anyone know a good vampire book that doesn't involve romance? Preferably one that isn't set in modern times. Even something that just incorporates vampires but doesn't revolve around them would be good enough.

I have a feeling that this isn't going to be what your looking for, but maybe you could try "Carpe Jugulum" by Terry Pratchett.

Now here's the reason why I don't think it's what your looking for. "Carpe Jugulum" is a satire that dances around the idea of vampires. It loosely uses existing vampire stories and twists them to make them fit his story. That being said there's an interesting thing about this book. While there is a male vampire who develops a crush on this one girl because, for some reason, he can't seem to read her mind... Carpe Jugulum was released in 1998, roughly 4 years before Twilight. And while he likes her, she is one of 3 witches who are trying to get rid of him... so romance is practically nonexistent.

Al-Kutbay
Recommendations for fantasy/science fiction books?

Well, I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett, and his "Diskworld" series is a series of roughly 30 fantasy/science fiction novels on just about anything you can think of.

If I were to make a specific recommendation, you could try "Going Postal" or "Thief of Time."

There was a movie made based off of "Going Postal" so if your interested you could YouTube it and find trailers and such

Prega
I am not a big reader but I'm looking for a book with some kind of social message or philosophy.
A book with a realistic (or somewhat realistic) story and rather short (less than 300 pages).
I'm looking for something like The Giver or Jude by Kate Morgenroth (but a bit more mature).

From what you just said, I think "Animal Farm" by George Orwell would fit the bill quite nicely. While the book is somewhat unrealistic in that it involves talking animals, the farm is meant to be a metaphor for society and the book does have an obvious philosophy on society itself. Plus the book is right around 100 pages long.

7,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
With all that said, I just finished reading "Child Thief" by Brom and I am in need of a good recommendation. I'm going on a trip this weekend, and I'm hoping to have a book to help pass the time while traveling.

I prefer fantasy books, and my favorites so far have been books that incorporate fantasy into modern day, like "Child Thief", and "Neverwhere", and "American Gods"
Oren Soloman
Kairi Nightingale

I have a feeling that this isn't going to be what your looking for, but maybe you could try "Carpe Jugulum" by Terry Pratchett.

Now here's the reason why I don't think it's what your looking for. "Carpe Jugulum" is a satire that dances around the idea of vampires. It loosely uses existing vampire stories and twists them to make them fit his story. That being said there's an interesting thing about this book. While there is a male vampire who develops a crush on this one girl because, for some reason, he can't seem to read her mind... Carpe Jugulum was released in 1998, roughly 4 years before Twilight. And while he likes her, she is one of 3 witches who are trying to get rid of him... so romance is practically nonexistent.

I'll look into it, anyway. Thank you!

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Oren Soloman
With all that said, I just finished reading "Child Thief" by Brom and I am in need of a good recommendation. I'm going on a trip this weekend, and I'm hoping to have a book to help pass the time while traveling.

I prefer fantasy books, and my favorites so far have been books that incorporate fantasy into modern day, like "Child Thief", and "Neverwhere", and "American Gods"
I don't know if it's modern, but a great fantasy book I've found is The Beyonders. The only pain is that two of the three books are out because the author is taking his time releasing them. I love the first one, but I haven't had time to delve into the second, which I'm pretty sure will spend a food amount of time in the modern world.

It's about this boy who falls into a hippo's mouth and is teleported to a new world being ruled by an evil wizard. While trying to find a way home he accidently reads a book that forces him to become a hero and begin a quest to defeat the wizard, along with a girl who also found one of the portals by mistake. It's pretty intense, and the imagry is fantastic. The author really took liberties with creating his own world. To be honest, when I was hungry while reading I really wanted to try the foods they mentioned. redface

Bloodthirsty Doll

24,050 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
I've read a lot of books and have ran out recently. D:
Here's a slightly short list of stuff I've read:
Vampire Academy Series
Harry Potter Series
Fablehaven Series
Vampire Chronicles
Vampire Kisses Series
Dauntless and Insurgent
Hunger Games Series
Witches and Wizards (both books out)
World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide
Dracula
Dead Until Dark and Living Dead In Dallas (got to pick up the rest)
Beyonders (gotta pick up book two)
Guilty Pleasures and The Laughing Corpse (got to pick up the rest)
Game of Thrones (picking up the rest next week)
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
The Looking Glass Wars (got to pick up seeing redd)
Maximum Ride (got to get the rest)
The Iron Knight
Patient Zero
Cirque Du Freak Series
Lord Of The Rings Series + The Hobbit
Anne of Green Gables Series

I've learned that I am very much in love with dystopian books. Any suggestions would be amazing. :3
This might be a hard one, but does anyone know of any books that (realistically) deal with being in a rock band? It can either be about the formation of one or life in one in general. I supposed it doesn't have to be rock, but something in the music business would be great.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff