Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you happen to know of any new good horror books?

Newbie Soldier

9,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Tess Wild

No, but if you like fantasy and mystery then I recommend the Dresden Files. The dresden files does have some scary elements in it though.

Autobiographer

I'm looking for some new books to read, something to keep me turning the pages and neglect sleep and, well, everything.

I'm not looking for any genre in particular, but lately I've been mostly reading books by Neil Gaiman and Hal Duncan. Something alike their work would be great, perhaps with mythology and romance on the side - not as the main point, but in the novel anyway. Something surreal and thought-provoking.

And something that isn't entirely predictable.

5,450 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
Maybe I'm not in the right place, but does anyone know of any really good non-fiction thrillers? The topic doesn't really matter; I have a really wide array of interests.
I just recently finished Killer Angels (Battle of Gettysberg) and The Hot Zone (ebola/marburg viruses), and I'm currently reading The Seven Daughters of Eve by Bryan Sykes.

Thank you! razz
A book recomendation for you people- The books called Birthmarked and Prized. The main character is a midwife. Some gory bits and ro9mance included, but are VERY good books
Like all of you here, I'm a HUGE book lover! But I'm kind of stuck in one of those cycles where I just read the same books over and over again because I can't find anything new, so a little help please? I very much like books that are set in a medieval times with Mages, Heralds, magic, mythical creatures and the like.
Also, if anyone would just happen to be looking for anything in the aforementioned genre, some good ones to check out would be as follows:
The Name of the Wind- Patrick Rothfuss
Or any of the books from The Heralds of Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey. This is more of a time line about one kingdom then a series, so the best one to start with would be "The Black Gryphon"

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
I need a recommendation for a new book,as I am about to finish the book I am reading and want something new to read .I like almost any book as long as its not Twilight or a romance novel.

Here are just a few books I’ve read if that will help with suggestions

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien
The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien
Beauty by Robin Mckinley
Spindle’s End by Robin Mckinely
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Some of the Dragonlance series
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Tess Wild
There are some new books by Dean Koontz, but they're more sci-fi than horror. But if you haven't read Lovecraft yet, you should (he's not a new writer though).

Wild Bookworm

Taivaspoika
I'm looking for some new books to read, something to keep me turning the pages and neglect sleep and, well, everything.

I'm not looking for any genre in particular, but lately I've been mostly reading books by Neil Gaiman and Hal Duncan. Something alike their work would be great, perhaps with mythology and romance on the side - not as the main point, but in the novel anyway. Something surreal and thought-provoking.

And something that isn't entirely predictable.

Try China Mieville biggrin Surreal, original, awesome - The Iron Council would be a good start. Definite page-turner. Other books of his are The City And The City, Embassytown, Perdido Street Station.

Wild Bookworm

For anyone who likes historical fiction and/or detective novels, I'd like to recommend C J Sansom.
His Tudor era lawyer/detective is Matthew Shardlake, and the books are hugely enjoyable. Sansom is not exactly a great writer in my opinion lol , but his main character is so endearing it doesn't really matter.

Novels -

Dissolution
Dark Fire
Sovereign
Revelation
Heartstone.

3,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
kuronecko33
I will have to keep this thread in mind when I am done with the "Left Behind" series, although I do still have a long reading list a head of me. But if anyone likes vampire books that are out of the normal blood sucking creepy vampire I would recommend the "House of Night" Series by P.C. Cast it is really different from other vampire books.
'
I really didnt like the House of Night series...It was over-rated(though not as bad as Twilight)

3,800 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
i reallllllllly like the Maximum Ride series and I THINK(not sure) that it's by james patterson....So yeah. Great and funny sarcasm from the narrator and LOTS of action
Tess Wild

Tried anything by Robert McCammon?
Twilight Scribe
Tess Wild

Tried anything by Robert McCammon?
never heard of him.

Shadowy Rogue

12,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Alright, time for my semi-picky sci-fi request. I'd love a book with all of these:
*I'm looking for something space opera-y I think.
*I've got tons of sci-fi books where there are evil aliens out there or aliens we're fighting, but I'd love to find a book or two where we're allied/trading/working with one or more alien species. Basically a more pro-alien book.
*I'd also like a strong female as the lead character (not tripping over herself every time an attractive man appears or having to run to everyone else to solve her problems), or at least as a main character.
*I'd prefer a minimum of romance. Some romance is fine, but I don't want it eating up the sci-fi plot. I've got books that are specifically sci-fi romance and if I want a main romance plot I'll go with those.
*Bonus: cyborgs, robots, or sentient machine race

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces