Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Hmm, I could use a few new books. I like fantasy and sci-fi more than anything with a particular inclination towards faeries and werewolves, but I also enjoy reading the rare horror novel. Here is a list of some of my favorite reads:

- the Harry Potter series
- Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
- The Worm Ouroboros by ERR Eddison
- the Lord of the Rings series
- Breaking Dawn (not the first three, but the last one was so bad, it was good)
- Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow
- the Vampire Chronicles
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- The Faerie Queen
- Ender's Game (not a fan of the other books, though)
- Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare (sort of a guilty pleasure)
- Battle Royale by Koushon Takami
- The Long Walk, The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot, and The Talisman
- The Prose and Poetic Edda
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, Othello, Hamlet, and Macbeth
ophiucha xx gaunt
Hmm, I could use a few new books. I like fantasy and sci-fi more than anything with a particular inclination towards faeries and werewolves, but I also enjoy reading the rare horror novel. Here is a list of some of my favorite reads:

- the Vampire Chronicles
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- The Faerie Queen

There's a sci-fi quartet by the author Tad Williams you may enjoy, called Otherland. They're all big books, it can be slow in places but you don't really notice, since the world and characters he's created are so rich. You're quite happy reading it, and then when you come to put it down you suddenly realise 'hey, nothing has actually really happened yet O_o' but as I said, the world and characters are so rich, you just don't notice.
i'm looking for a tragedy but not a horror book. something like the hero dies in the end even tho you dont want them too.
i also love romance books but i have had my fill of them lately, so unless the book is one of the best romances you have ever read then please reframe from telling me.
ophiucha xx gaunt

- the Vampire Chronicles
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- The Faerie Queen

A book with a little bit of faerie in it is Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block. Maybe even A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.
elleeldritch
fairyQueen18
I think this thread is an awesome idea.

I'm looking for a book to read. I love fantasy but also enjoy scifi I love Gail Carson Levine, Robin Hobbs, Garth Nix(not Shade's Children written beautifully but totally creeped me out) and Tamora Pierce.

I've been thinking about reading The Looking Glass Wars
Any other suggestions?

I think a lot of people like to recommend Neil Gaiman. I've only read Stardust by him. Yes, the book that the very same movie was based off of, that was out not too long ago.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman is great as well. It's a short little book, but very very good! biggrin
cheshirelala
i'm looking for a tragedy but not a horror book. something like the hero dies in the end even tho you dont want them too.

If you're up for Shakespeare, Hamlet the tragedy you just described blaugh
All Dan Brown's books bar the Da Vinci Code, altough I did like it before the movie.
~Angels and Demons
~Digital Fortress
~Decption Point

I also loved the Cherub Series by Robert Muchamore
~ The Recruit
~ Class A
~ Maximum Security
~ The Killing
~ Divine Madness
~ Man vs. Beast
~ Mad Dogs
~ Sleep walker
~ Dark Sun
~ The General

And I really liked Jessica by Bryce Courtenay but started reading The Persimmon Tree and found it really slow. Another good series is The Tomorrow series by John Marsden...
[x-Midnight Ecstasy-x]
All Dan Brown's books bar the Da Vinci Code, altough I did like it before the movie.
~Angels and Demons
~Digital Fortress
~Decption Point

I also loved the Cherub Series by Robert Muchamore
~ The Recruit
~ Class A
~ Maximum Security
~ The Killing
~ Divine Madness
~ Man vs. Beast
~ Mad Dogs
~ Sleep walker
~ Dark Sun
~ The General

And I really liked Jessica by Bryce Courtenay but started reading The Persimmon Tree and found it really slow. Another good series is The Tomorrow series by John Marsden...

That's great, but there's a stick at the top of the forum for telling people about your favourite books. smile This thread is for recommending books to specific people who ask for recommendations, based on what they tell you they like and what they tell you they're looking for. biggrin
hotness2thetrotness
cheshirelala

If you're up for Shakespeare, Hamlet the tragedy you just described blaugh

The problem with the word 'tragedy' is that the first things you tend to think of are plays. razz But I'm not sure Hamlet really is what she's looking for. There's a short story by Oscar Wilde called The Happy Prince that I found very sad, but it's still a wonderful story.
Slayer Igraine
ophiucha xx gaunt

- the Vampire Chronicles
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- The Faerie Queen

There's a sci-fi quartet by the author Tad Williams you may enjoy, called Otherland. They're all big books, it can be slow in places but you don't really notice, since the world and characters he's created are so rich. You're quite happy reading it, and then when you come to put it down you suddenly realise 'hey, nothing has actually really happened yet O_o' but as I said, the world and characters are so rich, you just don't notice.
Otherland is RIDICULOUSLY LONG 0_o
I thought that it was just one gigantic book, like War of the Flowers, but NO. It was book ONE in a series!!! I was seriously pissed off when I hit the last page. Especially because I'd figured out the conspiracy like halfway through the book... I started skipping pages.
Have you read Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's vampire books? They're along the same vein as Twilight (heh heh) and they're MUCH better written.
If you liked Ender's Game, try Nancy Kress's Beggars in Spain. Extremely well-written.
monochan
Slayer Igraine
ophiucha xx gaunt

- the Vampire Chronicles
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- The Faerie Queen

Otherland is RIDICULOUSLY LONG 0_o
I thought that it was just one gigantic book, like War of the Flowers, but NO. It was book ONE in a series!!! I was seriously pissed off when I hit the last page. Especially because I'd figured out the conspiracy like halfway through the book... I started skipping pages.
Have you read Amelia Atwater-Rhodes's vampire books? They're along the same vein as Twilight (heh heh) and they're MUCH better written.
If you liked Ender's Game, try Nancy Kress's Beggars in Spain. Extremely well-written.

Long, but very easy reading. It takes what, 3 days tops to read each one? And I don't mean three full days of sitting and doing nothing but reading.

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
        Thanks for the recommendations ^ o^ ~!
        Only book in that bunch I knew was Moore's, but, it does sort of have some fame there. Comparatively anyway. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes seems sort of borderline-y for me, but I'll look into it anyway.
ophiucha xx gaunt

- the Vampire Chronicles
- Dante's Divine Comedy
- The Faerie Queen

What with the faeries and the English magicians, I’d suggest Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. It’s one of my favorite fantasy books, and written in lovely nineteenth century style.
If you guys are looking for a good vampire series I would recommend the 12 book Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. I think it is called The Sage in every other country besides the U.S.
I need a few books to read for break. I like sci-fi and fantasy more than anything. These are some of my favorite books and authors:

- Harry Potter series
- Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside by Holly Black
- Sarah Dessen
- Michael Crichton (or however his name goes. Wrote Andromeda Strain)
- Phillip Pullman
- Stephen King
- Scott Westerfeld
- Ted Dekker
- Dan Brown
- David Clement-Davies

I'm also looking for some good horror books. Nothing I've found so far has satisfied me.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff