Welcome to Gaia! ::

Icegirl13
So any recommendations for books I should read?
I enjoy books like these

-Tithe/Ironside/ Valiant
-Wicked lovely/ Ink Exchange
-All Harry Potter's
-Blood and chocolate
-The Dark Materials
-Blue Blood series
-Narnia
-Twilight Series
-Abarat
-The Host

Try the Mortal Instruments series or Red Headed StepChild.
Okay here are a list of some good authors containing good fiction/fantasy:
Ted Dekker
L.J. Smith
Frank E. Peretti
Darren Shan
Stephenie Meyer- I liked the Host over the Twilight saga
Cassandra Clare
P.C. Cast- not only House of Night
Scott Westerfield

Realistic Fiction Authors:
Mary Higgins Clark
Colleen Coble
Poo my mind went blank. Well here's some books:
A Heart Divided
Go Ask Alice

Okay those are some of the big ones who have written plenty of books. Here are some books for fantasy lovers.
Wicked- not the play- about Witches and Warlocks
Thirst- Ancient Vampire who is supposed to be the only one left
Fablehaven- various magical creatures
The Immortals- girl dies but is brought back to life before spirit leaves to the otherworld becomes
psychic and immortal
Tithe/Valiant/Ironside- faeries
Blood and Chocolate- werewolves
Silver Kiss- vampires
Vampire Kisses- vampires
Nightrunner- vampires

Well that's not even half but the authors written make up a lot of books. Need any questions or have any comments feel free! I'm a book nerd living in my own library still craving for more books to own. =]
Slayer Igraine
The Book Recommendation Thread

The Books Forum is overwhelmed by threads of 'recommend me a book!' and 'looking for a new book...' etc.

The idea is that I, and hopefully others, will hang around in this thread and if you want a book recommendation, you're looking for a new read, etc., you can come here, and we'll do our best to give you some good suggestions. That way, the rest of the forum can be filled with actual threads discussing texts (we can only hope).

You're also welcome to leave feedback on whether the recommendations you were given where what you were looking for or not.

Rules:

1. Obey gaia TOS & the forum rules.
2. Play nice kiddies, I want no slagging matches over Twilight, or anything like that.
3. Don't recommend the same book to everyone. If one person says they want a romantic comedy and the next is looking for a horrific crime novel the same book is not going to please them both. If you can't recommend a book that you genuinely think they might like, leave it to someone else. Recommendations should not be a list of your favourite books.
4. By all means, disagree with someone's recommendations. If someone has recommended a book as a good horror novel, and you don't think it actually is a horror novel, you're welcome to say so, just keep it civil.
5. If you're here looking for a book recommendation, give us some hints on what kind of books you like, or what kind of genre you're after. The more info you give us, the more likely that our recommendations will be ones you like.
6. Please don't throw random recommendations out to no one in particular. In all likelihood all you're doing is listing your favourite book, there's a sticky for that. There is no way you can be sane and think that you can recommend the same book to absolutely everyone. Don't do it. O_o
7. Suggestions on how to improve the thread are welcome.
8. Anyone is welcome to recommend a book.

Romantic Loverboy

9,250 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
broken724
Going on a book trip soon so i'm in need of some good books. I like books that deal with mythology, magic, ghosts, different worlds, and anything similar to Ellen Hopkins books. I don't like lots of romance or vampires.

Try Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Johnathan J. Howard (I think). Lots of demonology, magic, ghosts, Hell and a pocket universe (different worlds). I'm not familiar with Ellen Hopkins, but Cabal had no romance and only one vampire who was so far in the background he was a minor character.

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
Pyro Aleera
3Amaranth13
Hello. I need a new read.

I like books that are really disturbing in theme and subject matter while it has a good plot. It would have to be well-written and have strong characters.

I like authors like Shirley Jackson, Stephen King, Victor Hugo, and H.P. Lovecraft.

Does anyone know of a book with those traits? That'd be awesome. Thank you.

I would suggest wicked. It's got some darkness to it. There are three in the series. The first two containing two parts/books making them thicker. By Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie.

I was expecting more of a surreal, realistic kind of darkness, but still, the book sounds goods and I think it'll be worth a try. Thank you very much for the recommendation.
Right now I am reading Cloud Atlas and it is a great book, the author uses so many different styles of writing and even when the text gets slightly complicated it is still a great read. I recommend you check it out.
hi ^^
can i get a recomendation on wat to read? plz?

ohh, and good books....

-blue bloods series
-wicked lovely series
-the percy jackson series
-evermore
-the host
-a great and terrible beauty
-the stravaganza series
-nobodys princess is also good 3nodding
Hi, I'm looking for romance books like the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter or Dark Visions series by L.J. Smith.

Shameless Raider

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
I been looking on my own but have never really found what I'm looking for. I'm looking for books that portray teams pulling intricate cons/heists that are more Ocean's 11 or Leverage-esque. Any suggestions for me? I read a young adult book that wasn't awful once (Theives like us - Stephen Cole) but I'd like something a bit more mature.
3Amaranth13
Pyro Aleera
3Amaranth13

I like books that are really disturbing in theme and subject matter while it has a good plot. It would have to be well-written and have strong characters.

I like authors like Shirley Jackson, Stephen King, Victor Hugo, and H.P. Lovecraft.

I would suggest wicked. It's got some darkness to it. There are three in the series. The first two containing two parts/books making them thicker. By Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie.

I was expecting more of a surreal, realistic kind of darkness, but still, the book sounds goods and I think it'll be worth a try. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

No problem. I mean I'm sure I know some other ones. Do you prefer realistic fiction? You might like Go Ask Alice. I think it was an actual diary of a girl who goes through drugs and running away and other stuff. I liked it anyways.

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
Pyro Aleera
3Amaranth13
Pyro Aleera
3Amaranth13

No problem. I mean I'm sure I know some other ones. Do you prefer realistic fiction? You might like Go Ask Alice. I think it was an actual diary of a girl who goes through drugs and running away and other stuff. I liked it anyways.

I remember that one too well. I already read it. XD I'm not into young adult genres, but that was a good book I'll definitely say. Thank you. I'll still check out Wicked.
3Amaranth13
Pyro Aleera
3Amaranth13
Pyro Aleera
3Amaranth13

I remember that one too well. I already read it. XD I'm not into young adult genres, but that was a good book I'll definitely say. Thank you. I'll still check out Wicked.

Well I'm glad I was at least able to help. biggrin

5,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah smile So inspiring.

5,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
Also the Dark Secrets series by Elizabeth Chandler

5,500 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
ConnieNeon
Also the Dark Secrets series by Elizabeth Chandler

Also by Elizabeth Chandler- "Kissed by an Angel" - The best book I have ever read smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff