Welcome to Gaia! ::

BunnyCupCakes
Hello.

For some reason, last year (2008 which wasn't so far ) I've been having bad luck on finding good books to read. I duno what happened but every book I end up checking out sucked to me. Maybe I'm becoming too picky or something but I would really like some recommendations from people this time.

What I like mainly: romance, drama, suspense, thriller, action, adventure, fantasy ( I'm sorta a mix-bag most of the time sweatdrop )
Ex: The Host, City of Bones, 1984, My Sister's Keeper, Memoirs of a Geisha, Tithe....

If you like Holly Black's stuff, you'll definitely enjoy American Gods (and its sequel, Anansi Boys) by Neil Gaiman. You'd probably dig War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, and Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco, too.

1984, eh? Ever looked into Philip K. d**k's stuff? I recommend The Man in the High Castle, Ubik, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

Happy reading.
I wanna look for a good fantasy book I'm open to anything as long as it'll put me into another world and I can feel it. I love stuff with a thrill. I'm currently reading the Fire Within trilogy by Chris D'Lacey, and I loved it. The last book I have to read from it is the first one (I read it backwards)...but like most books, I don't have access to it.

I really enjoyed the first 6 books of Cirque du Freak (I'm not allowed to read them anymore) Eragon and Eldest (I'm still waiting to read Brisingr).
I enjoyed the whole Twilight Series, and The Host, and the whole Harry Potter series. I really enjoyed Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic and The Circle Opens...I haven't read it all, but I know I will enjoy it. I also enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia, Dragon Rider (Cornelia Funke - the author of Children's Books suitable for all ages ^_^), The Hobbit - Prequel to The Lord of The Rings, Life as We Knew It (By Susan Beth Pfeffer), as well as A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I'm tired of being called a loser due to the fact that I enjoyed Harry Potter, Inheritance, Twilight, Dragon Rider, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I really want to read The Inkworld Series and the Blue is for Memories (I think) Series...but I don't have access to those books. So...can anyone help me out here?
Thanks Satyr and Tsakaki for the recommendations. :]
a little L E M O N e d
I'm always looking for new books to check out, but I'm a bit picky. xP I generally like horror/supernatural/disturbing and fantasy type of books, but also a bit of humor and sometimes romance (depends--I usually go for gay/bi male stuff, but some het too and even incest; I really meant the disturbing part XD). Umm... Oh, and I like books set in different time periods--future/past/whatev. Some stuff on my shelf: Bloodline by Kate Cary, Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite, The Mediator by Meg Cabot, and Horseradish by Lemony Snicket. And~ I'm currently checking out Princes by Sonya Hartnett and Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker.

Any recommendations for me? sweatdrop

Try Storm Constantine. Wraeththu fits just about everything you've put there. Also there are others by her you might like as well. I'd give more of a description, but I really suck at summaries and heartily recommend looking it up via amazon.
Interesting... I'll definitely have to look more into that one.
maronne de blays
Dammit, sorry for adding to the inundation.

I'm looking for a thought-provoking or emotion-stirring book, any genre (including graphic novels) except manga. Something dark is a plus, a dystopia is fine too. I've read most you can think of, and I love nonfiction as well. I'm an anarchist, anti-consumerist, and a feminist, and extremely extremely liberal, to give you an idea. Right now on my reading list are:
What is the What
The End of America
Give Me Liberty
Backlash
George Bush: The Making of a President
Expect Resistance
The Invisible Cure: Why We Are Losing The Struggle Against AIDS in Africa
Jennifer Government
Situationist Internationale Collected Writings
Shooting War
No Logo

I'm fine with fiction that just stirs something inside people and makes them really emotional. Something beautiful and well-written. Something inspirational on either an intellectual level or an emotional level.

So something ******** EXCELLENT, in other words.

A couple of good nonfiction reads are Fast Food Nation (about the fast food industry but also America's consumerist legacy, to an extent) and The World is Flat (globalization). The writing styles of both books are entertaining and the information is interesting, quite scary, and fairly unbiased (ish)
`Forgotten Memory
Slayer Igraine
`Forgotten Memory
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some poetry books. I own none so I am not sure where I should start, if there is a place to. Thanks.

biggrin If you've not read much poetry before then you're probably best to start with an anthology. From that, you can then go on to buy books of poetry by authors you know you enjoyed.

Try something like " Poem for the Day One (366 Poems, Old and New, Worth Learning by Heart)"
by Nicholas Albery & Peter Ratcliffe (Eds) or "Classic Poems to read aloud" by James Berry (ed)

Since I'm a huge fan of William Blake, I'd also recommend his 'Songs of Innocence and of Experience".

Thank you for your recommendations. I'll jot these down for when I go to the bookstore this weekend. An anthology does seem to be a good place to start, I forget about them.
Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.
I'm also a huge fan of Emily Dickenson
Xenophobix
Uriel the Watchman
need some suggestions for a wizarding/magic series and also comedic authors (any genre besides romance). I'm on the last Harry Potter and I've read all the Dresden Files to date. I love Terry Pratchett and i've read all by Douglas Adams; read some Carl Hiaasen and Kurt Vonnegut, but they're not as addicting. any suggestions?

Dude, a comedic book thats fantasy too>? Thats easy! The Bartimaeus series by Jonathon Stroud, only 3 books long... but its very funny[though not in the obvious funny way, the smart funny way that make you laugh when you get them...]
The third book was depressing, dude.. crying
Tsakaki
The Original Party Satyr

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a few types of books:
-A good ol' fashioned sword-and-sorcery book/series. I've been recommended the Dragonlance books and Martin's stuff, and I've read the Rings books. Political intrigue, non-predicatable romance, and anti-heroes more than welcome.
-A nice space opera. And if you're going to recommend a Star Wars or Star Trek book, please make sure it's the best you can think of; no movie novelizations, por favor.
-A good cyberpunk novel. I've read Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, Feed, and a couple of others, and I'd like to get more acquainted with the genre.
-A true crime book. The nastiest one you can possibly think of. I want the sickest of the human condition.

Umm, if by Space Opera you mean sci-fi space setting, I recommend Moving Mars by Greg Bear. The only thing with this novel is that it's a bit of a difficult read (the author goes into pretty decent detail on Quantum Physics, I personally have no background in physics, so it was a bit difficult, but overall I enjoyed it.), also, it's less action/drama, more in the shadows politics, all in a space/sci-fi setting.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series. The first is The Warrior's Apprentice (there's also a prequel about his parents that gives a lot of good background info called Cordelia's Honor)
monochan
Tsakaki
The Original Party Satyr

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a few types of books:
-A good ol' fashioned sword-and-sorcery book/series. I've been recommended the Dragonlance books and Martin's stuff, and I've read the Rings books. Political intrigue, non-predicatable romance, and anti-heroes more than welcome.
-A nice space opera. And if you're going to recommend a Star Wars or Star Trek book, please make sure it's the best you can think of; no movie novelizations, por favor.
-A good cyberpunk novel. I've read Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, Feed, and a couple of others, and I'd like to get more acquainted with the genre.
-A true crime book. The nastiest one you can possibly think of. I want the sickest of the human condition.

Umm, if by Space Opera you mean sci-fi space setting, I recommend Moving Mars by Greg Bear. The only thing with this novel is that it's a bit of a difficult read (the author goes into pretty decent detail on Quantum Physics, I personally have no background in physics, so it was a bit difficult, but overall I enjoyed it.), also, it's less action/drama, more in the shadows politics, all in a space/sci-fi setting.

Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series. The first is The Warrior's Apprentice (there's also a prequel about his parents that gives a lot of good background info called Cordelia's Honor)

Thanks for the recommendations, you two! smile
hi!

Well, I dunno if anyone in this thread likes this sort of thing, but I'm trying to find some GOOD slash books (gay romance). I tend to prefer fantasy type things or anything with a very odd match in it. Like one of my favorite books is The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman, or another is The Song of the Loon by Richard Amory. I'm not really picky, though I do prefer that the book is well written. As far as plot goes...as long as the characters are good I'm good to go. ^_^. Any recs? Thanks!
I wanna look for a good fantasy book I'm open to anything as long as it'll put me into another world and I can feel it. I love stuff with a thrill. I'm currently reading the Fire Within trilogy by Chris D'Lacey, and I loved it. The last book I have to read from it is the first one (I read it backwards)...but like most books, I don't have access to it.

I really enjoyed the first 6 books of Cirque du Freak (I'm not allowed to read them anymore) Eragon and Eldest (I'm still waiting to read Brisingr).
I enjoyed the whole Twilight Series, and The Host, and the whole Harry Potter series. I really enjoyed Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic and The Circle Opens...I haven't read it all, but I know I will enjoy it. I also enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia, Dragon Rider (Cornelia Funke - the author of Children's Books suitable for all ages ^_^), The Hobbit - Prequel to The Lord of The Rings, Life as We Knew It (By Susan Beth Pfeffer), as well as A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I'm tired of being called a loser due to the fact that I enjoyed Harry Potter, Inheritance, Twilight, Dragon Rider, and A Series of Unfortunate Events.

I really want to read The Inkworld Series and the Blue is for Memories (I think) Series...but I don't have access to those books. So...can anyone help me out here?
pianista

Well, I don't know if you're willing to read a series that's so far 13 books long and approximately 500 pages per book, but if so, you can't go wrong with the Wheel of Time series. The first book smacks of LOTR, but Robert Jordan eventually expanded and created a wonderfully detailed, rich world.
David Eddings wrote a couple of series, but I didn't like his writing as much as it's a lot more simplistic.
pianista

the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan maybe
Thanks.
I was kinda hoping for something a little more common though.
Something easily located...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces