Welcome to Gaia! ::

Psmith
leslarrya373
I need a good book series that can last a while...
I enjoyed
Twilight series
Harry Potter Series
and any murder mysteries

If you're a murder mystery fan, and you want a series that will last a while, i say Agatha Christie. If you've already done that, then how about anything by Mary Higgins Clark? Kind of predictable, bur really really fun.

I haven't tried those yet so i'll try them thanks

5,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Junior Trader 100
mistborn brandon sanderson
For ppl interested in the newer more common vampire books i suggest :
Twilight (GREAT Series !)
House of Night (Almost As Good As Twilight ;] )
& The Night World Series Or Anything Else By L.J. Smith

For PPl who want a book tht relates 2 the older more classical books :
Look For Me By The Moonlight
& Bloodline
I'm looking for a teenage fiction book to read, which is very long (I read really quickly...), and not twilight/harry potter (I've read both).

I've got alot of boks on my list to read already, but I'm still looking. I'm a big fan of
      chicklit, so anything like that would be great. I've read a few fantasy novels, but
      none of them have really gripped me to want to read more in the same genre, any
      recommendations?

Thank-you. (:
sakuralove09
I'm looking for a teenage fiction book to read, which is very long (I read really quickly...), and not twilight/harry potter (I've read both).

I'm not sure if I would call these books long, but here are some that I've read an
      enjoyed. Just off of the top of my head....

- Anything by Jaclyn Moriarty
      - Airhead + Being Nikki by Meg Cabot
      - Anything by Lee Weatherly [Although these are quite short]
      - How to by Popular by Meg Cabot
      - Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

And here are some that I wouldn't exactly say were teen-reads, but nothing too rude is mentioned.

- Anything by Cecelia Ahern
      - Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella
      - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
      - The Cather in the Rye by J.D Salinger
      - Marley and Me by John Grogan

Um, that's about it, and if you choose to read any of them, I hope you enjoy it!

5,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Profitable 100
Slayer Igraine
monochan
I'm on the lookout for dark fantasy. I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction. I've already read all of Neil Gaiman's stuff, Anne Bishop's stuff, Garth Nix's stuff. I tried reading Holly Black and didn't really like it.

I'll keep checking back on this thread, I also like the idea.

Have you tried Michael Moorcock's, Elic of Melnibone? His writing style is very different from Gaiman and Nix's, but it's certainly dark fantasy. :3

another good series that I have been enjoying is the House of Night series, aka Marked.
If you like murder mysteries a good series is the Nursery Crime series by Jasper Fforde. It's a cross genre and there are a lot of references to other nursery Rhymes, some subtle, some obvious.

2,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
iLurra

I've got alot of boks on my list to read already, but I'm still looking. I'm a big fan of
      chicklit, so anything like that would be great. I've read a few fantasy novels, but
      recommendations?

Thank-you. (:

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson or if you're more interested in a series try his Mistborn trilogy. Both are very good and are a different type of fantasy.
I am not into vampire series any more (Twilight ruined it lol)
But for vampire lovers, I suggest Vampire Diaries, you could buy it in any book store (except those really creepy ones, or those religious ones........ I don't like going in there.... the shop keepers look like rapists)
I'm a teen reader, but I've read most of the teen books out there and I want to try reading more adult fiction. I'm looking for a psychological thriller or something dealing with interpersonal relationships. Preferably a longer book. :3
No sci fi or fantasy please.
iLurra

recommendations?

Thank-you. (:

Hey iLurra! I would recommend the Robin Hobb series, especially the Farseer Trilogy. It's a fantasy book, but very well written, with an extremely good story and a romance that you'll never forget.. I'll have to warn you though: once you read Robin Hobb you'll probably end up buying every series she's written. It's very addictive!
It seems the common thread for recommendations is primarily sci-fi/fantasy. If anyone is interested in anything else, say realistic fiction, I have a few suggestions.

Bright Lights, Big City - Jay McInerney
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis
The Informers - Bret Easton Ellis (I realize this is the third Ellis novel, but I'm really big on his fiction)
Light in August - William Faulkner
The Known World - Edward P. Jones
Native Son - Richard Wright
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
On the Road - John Kerouac (This isn't necessarily fiction, but it is good)
Next - Michael Crichton
Atonement - Ian McEwan
Ask the Dust - John Fante

And if you're looking for something a little more sci-fi/fantasy orientated and you don't want to read about vampires or goblins. Try Bret Easton Ellis's Lunar Park and Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, and maybe even Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, or anything (basically) by Crichton will be good sci-fi reading.
If I was to reccomend a book, I would choose Twilight Saga because it is compulsively interesting, but because Stephanie Meyer's infamous series, everyone knows of those novels already. So if I was to choose a book other than Breaking Dawn, I would reccomend books by author Laurie Faria Stolarz (such as Red is for Remembrance, Silver is for Secrets, etc.) because they are very interesting and have the paranormal psychic-y vibe.
Geuro
It seems the common thread for recommendations is primarily sci-fi/fantasy. If anyone is interested in anything else, say realistic fiction, I have a few suggestions.

Bright Lights, Big City - Jay McInerney
Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
Rules of Attraction - Bret Easton Ellis
The Informers - Bret Easton Ellis (I realize this is the third Ellis novel, but I'm really big on his fiction)
Light in August - William Faulkner
The Known World - Edward P. Jones
Native Son - Richard Wright
Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
On the Road - John Kerouac (This isn't necessarily fiction, but it is good)
Next - Michael Crichton
Atonement - Ian McEwan
Ask the Dust - John Fante

And if you're looking for something a little more sci-fi/fantasy orientated and you don't want to read about vampires or goblins. Try Bret Easton Ellis's Lunar Park and Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, and maybe even Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions, or anything (basically) by Crichton will be good sci-fi reading.

Thanks, I'll try some of these.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces