Welcome to Gaia! ::

For me, it was without a doubt the Dune series. Frank Hubert provides us with more a philosophical treatise than a novel. Feel free to share your favorite challenges.

Dapper Conversationalist

Not a novel but I'm assuming that doesn't matter.

The Critique of Pure Reason

I got the gist but deciphering his meaning was pretty damn difficult. I still don't think I got most of it. Kierkegaard is also indecipherable. What is it with Germans?
Doctor Faustus. stressed

5,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
anything by CS Lewis that was not Narnia

and analyzing As I lay Dying was pretty ridiculous to me. i had to read the book twice.

Dapper Conversationalist

kwarren7
anything by CS Lewis that was not Narnia

and analyzing As I lay Dying was pretty ridiculous to me. i had to read the book twice.
You read The Screwtape Letters? I got half way through and got bored. Is it worth finishing?
******** Shakespeare. Thou havest thy intellect to don thy scripts of master William's humble writings?

Celebrating Reveler

Probably the book I just finished, A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
I can report that i had similar problems with each of these same writings, though I was tremendously bored by some of them. So in reality, I'm sure I did not get as much out of them as I should have. *guilty smile*

7,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Ayn Rand and mother ******** Shakespeare.
Also, Dune got a bit challenging.

Dapper Conversationalist

Robotic Dream Weaver
Probably the book I just finished, A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
You're kidding! Atwood is delightful! A Handmaid's Tale isn't perky but it doesn't waste time either. I liked it but actually preferred Onyx and Crake, perhaps because it's more topical and less dated.
I'm slightly ashamed to say I haven't read much literature that isn't just fluffy or chick-lit.

Though 3nodding .. I guess Shakespeare counts in.
I love his stuff

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I got through ten pages of a Brief History of Time by Stephan Hawking
I think that must have been faust for me crying
whateverfloats
Not a novel but I'm assuming that doesn't matter.

The Critique of Pure Reason

I got the gist but deciphering his meaning was pretty damn difficult. I still don't think I got most of it. Kierkegaard is also indecipherable. What is it with Germans?

I agree about the Kant, but I thought Kierkegaard was fairly straight-forward. But Schopenhauer can be a bit of headache at times - his essays and aphorisms are simple to understand but the first book of The World as Will an Representation can be a bit of a headache, and I'm quite sure that 90% of the people who read Nietzsche don't understand him anywhere as near a well as they think they do.

Also, Aristotle, Metaphysics.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces