Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Lunatic

Ping of Death
I'm currently reading Forge of Darkness and I can't help but notice some inconsistencies in the creation of the warrens by K'rul. The timeline given in the Malazan series doesn't match the one given in this book. Well, it wasn't stated exactly when and how but you know what I mean right?

Yeah. For one, wasn't it stated that the Holds preceded warrens? How come
the Holds in FoD are noble houses? Or literal houses, whatever. And at that time K'rul is male (*gasp*) and has already fashioned warrens.

One of my current guesses is that the sorcerous Holds are already present, they just aren't named as such.

I'm interested in Old Man. Who is he?

In other news, SE posted a short SF story over at Tor. I'm still waiting for excerpts of Blood and Bone.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
That's what I remember too. The Holds are older than the Warrens and the latter are like "children" of the former. The Holds we know so far are like the "general" version if you group together the Warrens that have something in common or are closely connected.

They're probably just the same or maybe the Warrens are the aspects of the Holds. Does that make sense?

What is your concept of the Warren anyway? I've always thought that it is a space that overlaps what the naked eyes can see. Sort of another manifestation of that space. And these spaces (the warrens/holds) are also connected just like the spaces we (or the characters) can see. So where does the "azath" figure? I think that it connects and holds together these spaces. Like "roots" holding them in place.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Dangerous Millionaire

5,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I finished all of the books a few months back including Forge of Darkness. I have to say (and we can all tell by the name) Anomander is by far my favorite character. It's not for the fact that he basically scares the s**t out of even the big nasties. It's the fact that after all he has been through and done he continues on out of love for his people, and everyone else. His life is amazing to read about and learn.

Second favorite would have to be Ganoes Paran. I love the fact that he starts as a nobody and eventually becomes one of the powers that be and that scares everyone. And anyone that earns the respect of Rake has to be a bad a**.

Third favorite: This one is a tie Quick Ben, Kalam, and Fiddler take this one. The three of them together is one enormously scary team. Though as an after thought I would have to throw Hedge into this one as well.

Dangerous Millionaire

5,400 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Chouryou
Ping of Death
I'm currently reading Forge of Darkness and I can't help but notice some inconsistencies in the creation of the warrens by K'rul. The timeline given in the Malazan series doesn't match the one given in this book. Well, it wasn't stated exactly when and how but you know what I mean right?

Yeah. For one, wasn't it stated that the Holds preceded warrens? How come
the Holds in FoD are noble houses? Or literal houses, whatever. And at that time K'rul is male (*gasp*) and has already fashioned warrens.

One of my current guesses is that the sorcerous Holds are already present, they just aren't named as such.

I'm interested in Old Man. Who is he?

In other news, SE posted a short SF story over at Tor. I'm still waiting for excerpts of Blood and Bone.

Yeah I have been wondering the same thing.

Wheezing Lunatic

Anomandaris Dragnipurake
I finished all of the books a few months back including Forge of Darkness. I have to say (and we can all tell by the name) Anomander is by far my favorite character. It's not for the fact that he basically scares the s**t out of even the big nasties. It's the fact that after all he has been through and done he continues on out of love for his people, and everyone else. His life is amazing to read about and learn.

Second favorite would have to be Ganoes Paran. I love the fact that he starts as a nobody and eventually becomes one of the powers that be and that scares everyone. And anyone that earns the respect of Rake has to be a bad a**.

Third favorite: This one is a tie Quick Ben, Kalam, and Fiddler take this one. The three of them together is one enormously scary team. Though as an after thought I would have to throw Hedge into this one as well.
Yeah, Anomander is a great character. I especially like the fact that SE didn't concentrate much on his PoV in the main series as well as Forge of Darkness; kind of makes him still mysterious even though we *know* what motivates him.

Wheezing Lunatic

I am not yet done.
>>>>>>>>>>

Excited for Blood and Bone.

<<<<<<<<<<

WITNESS.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Chouryou
I am not yet done.
>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<

WITNESS.
Me too. I don't have a copy yet. But soon... smile
Ping of Death
Chouryou
I am not yet done.
>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<

WITNESS.
Me too. I don't have a copy yet. But soon... smile

Been a while since we last spoke, hasn't it?

Wheezing Lunatic

RL has gotten so busy that I didn't have time to update this thread. Anyway, we have the synopsis for ASSAIL, the final ICE book, right here!

I've also finished Blood and Bone some months before, and while I think the writing wasn't exactly the best among all of ICE's books, I loved the book because goddamn Himatan is a scary place. Plus there's Murk and Sour. Golan and Principal Scribe Thorn are just lolzy --I thought their plotline was the most boring at first, until I realized their purpose in the story. And while I don't really care for Jatal, he had this one scene that really surprised me
where he was looking at this bathtub full of blood. Not scary. Then the corpse in it moved, and Jatal screamed and stabbed at it with his sword. I know it's not really horror-type scary, so to speak, but Malazan has few such scenes that kind of jump-scare you. At least, that's what I think.

SPOILERY LOLZ
Aw yeah, Skinner got his due! I laughed because his death was just so karmic. And while he's a skilled swordsman, to die from spiders is just funny.
As for Kallor... well, he's really tough to kill. Too bad for you, dude.

Wheezing Lunatic

Reopening the thread.

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Ian C. Esslemont's DANCER'S LAMENT will be published on February 2016

It was once a land ravaged by war, minor city states, baronies and principates fight for supremacy, and then the rival cities of Tali and Quon formed an alliance and so Quon Tali came into being.

However that was generations ago, that dynasty has collapsed and the regional powers are now clawing at each others throats once more. But at the heart of Quon Tali lies the powerful city state of Li Heng which has for centuries enjoyed relative stability under the guidance of the powerful sorceress known as the “Protectress”. She is not someone likely to tolerate the arrival of two particular young men into her domain: one is determined to prove he is the most skilled assassin of his age; the other is his quarry - a Dal Hon mage who is proving annoyingly difficult to kill. The sorceress and her cabal of five mage servants were enough to repel the Quon Tali Iron Legions, so how could two such trouble-makers upset her iron-fisted rule?

And now, under a new and ambitious king, the forces of Itko Kan are marching on Li Heng from the south. His own assassins, the Nightblades, have been sent ahead into the city, and rumours abound that he has inhuman, nightmarish forces at his command. So as shadows and mistrust swirl and monstrous beasts that people say appear from nowhere, run rampage through Li Heng's streets, it seems chaos is come - but in chaos, as a certain young Dal Hon mage would say, there is opportunity . . .

Source: http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2015/12/cover-art-and-blurb-for-ian-cameron.html

Wheezing Lunatic

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces