Welcome to Gaia! ::

speaking about school books, I had to read Into the Wild for my summer reading assignments.

I thought it was ok, but not that great. neutral
The Sun Also Rises. I don't even remember the name of the author, but that book bored me to death. I know it's only supposed to be observing the characters after the war, but there didn't seem to be much of a plot except for everyone falling head over heels in love with Brett. And all the characters annoyed the living hell out of me.
Rosalita 36
I hated 1984. And it bothered me a lot because I expected to really like it, seeing that it's a classic and comes highly recommended and all, but I was very disappointed by it. I respect the author's intentions and I understand the meaning behind it, but I just didn't find it enjoyable, and I think books should be enjoyable.

Fahrenheit 451 is another that I expected to really like but I ended up hating it. The two are pretty similar actually. Like, I expected both of them to be about a guy who's living in this world where everything's wrong and he fights against it, but the books were more philosophical and introspective when they could have been adventure- and action-driven. Basically, I thought they were both boring and nothing really happened.

Do you think either may have been better for you, if they balance action and adventure with philosophy and introspective, then?
Although probably no one knows what i'm talking about, The Midnighters trilogy was pure cliche` and a massive re-do of Persona 3, just way more depressing stare
And just as a side note, by the end of the Darren Shan Saga, it was really crappy xp
VisualShockRio
Although probably no one knows what i'm talking about, The Midnighters trilogy was pure cliche` and a massive re-do of Persona 3, just way more depressing stare
And just as a side note, by the end of the Darren Shan Saga, it was really crappy xp

So who wrote the Midnighters' Trilogy, again?
And how is it a Re-Do of Persona 3?

Is it alright if you can elaborate?
User Image
υτυɱɴ υʟʟαъʏ
XXXXXXloves zombies ✗•✗•✗•✗ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Others keep telling me how it's brilliant and full of meaning, but I genuinely hate this book. I get what the man was going for, but I still think the novel is just plain bad. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley was another terrible one. It makes me feel disappointed to think both books are considered 'classics.'
I usually like the books we read for school. I mean, even if they're a bit hard to understand, I can usually have respect for them. (Especially Shakespeare; I'm an fan of his now after I read TMOV, though I far prefer King Lear) It's always funny to see myself be the only 'I actually liked this book' in a class full of haters. Usually.

The Chrysalids made me join those haters.

To elaborate: I simply hated hated hated that book. The whole time I had to read it I wanted to rip the damn book in half and throw the pieces into a great, big bonfire. The characters were so damn unlikeable, led by a oh-so-sweet Mary Sue (granted, she was a child, but still) and a Messiah type whom I found so insufferable that I ranted about her all through class discussion and in my final project for the book. I got a 70% on my essay (A C+/B- in Canada, definitely below my usual marks) because I put almost no effort into it. I didn't see why I should work so hard for a book I had absolutely no interest in. Damn, I did that essay at 1AM in the morning, shows you how much I care. I was so thankful when the final test was over and the unit was done. For me, Shakespeare was a breath of fresh air after trudging through that mind-numbingly boring piece of junk.

/rant (sorry, this is only my opinion. needed to get that off my chest.)

I quite dislike Eragon too, for obvious reasons. (heh, mainly the clunky writing. Couldn't get past chapter 6)

And though it's irrational, all the vampire/supernatural romance books dominating the YA shelves. Even though it sounds callous, seeing all of them makes me feel sick and angry. neutral Trying to find something worth reading in between all of those goddamn volumes gets tiring.
And it's made me hate romance.

I'm sorry, guys. This is just opinion. I'm very passionate about reading.

4,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I disliked the Twilight series, I personally don't care for that type of romance.

But I HATED the ending to Ariel. I had loved the entire book then the author messed up the ending. >.<
I've read some pretty crappy books, but let me just say, I had to read "A Confederacy of Dunces" for one of my college classes and found it pretty darn terrible. Not to mention, its terribleness was dragged out for over 300 pages when it could have easily been summed up in one.

Dedicated Firestarter

12,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Super Tipsy 200
Lets see....

Of course I hate the twilight series and the Host.<-- I've never read the Host, but I love scifi and from what I hear it is a book that is for people that don't like Science Fiction....Really. I love the genre, and I love fantasy....really. So anything Meyer writes is pretty much fail. All of it. Fail.

Oh...and SUNSHINE, by Robin McKingly...or whatever her name is. Its just....just ARG!!! Thrity pages of boring pointless backstory!!! ARG!!! I hate this book. I hate it. I pushed through it to the end...and the end is INCREDIBLY stupid. Really...."Oh top news story today: aparently down town there are falling body parts...now onto sports." ARG!! *head desk* Seriously, one of the worst endings I have ever had the displeasure to read. The whole thing could be chopped up into a smaller novel and be better. Really. Take out all that fraking POINTLESS backstory about how you were a fraking child and crying because you wanted to fraking cook. DAMNIT! Gods it was so stupid! Really, really, really stupid. I don't care about your past...I don't care! Just get on with the fraking story! THIRTY PAGES!!! /end rant.

Then there is....hmm....ah right The Historian. Its just too boring for me to get through. I have a short attention span really! Just get to the damned vampires and be done with it! Really! I did make it a little more than halfway through once. But really. It is a good book, but just not for me.

Some Stephen King books<--- I'm sorry but really...there is a trend that has begun to disturb me. A father/son type trend that for me borders on obsessive. In the first dark tower book there is that....guy and the dark guy and this kid...and really. It was confusing and I don't remember it too well. Then in Salem's Lot....seriously..."I have to go back...I love you." "i love you too." That disturbed me. Carrie is mother daughter, but it is still the same. Cell...well Cell is the same too. A LOT of his books have dysfuctional father/son things. It just makes me wonder what his relationship with his father was like. Poor guy. I love him...but I just need to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Dapper Dabbler

8,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Dreamer4ever
-Animal Farm (I actually haven't started reading it yet... we watched this movie version of it... it was more torture than I could STAND... O-M-G!!!!!! I wanted to scream I hated it so much... It was worse than stupid and and AGH!!!)
OH DEAR, WAS IT SOMETHING I SAID?

Manufacture some intelligence for yourself and understand that there are bigger issues in this world than your pitiable life. Same goes for Autumn Lullaby.

The Old Man and the Sea
The Red Badge of Courage
The Red Pony
The Pearl
A Day No Pigs Would Die
The Yearling
Twilight (series)
As I Lay Dying

User Image

User Image
υτυɱɴ υʟʟαъʏ
XXXXXXloves zombies ✗•✗•✗•✗ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

That was uncalled for. If I said something to offend you, then I apologize. However, everyone has different opinions. Just because mine do not agree with yours doesn't mean I'm unintelligent, nor does it give you the right to prejudge me. If you happen to like those novels, well, good for you. That's your opinion, and I respect it. I would appreciate it if you showed me the same courtesy.

Invisible Hoarder

The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones --> I don't hate this book since the story was sort of interesting, but the main character annoyed me to no end. I mean, she uses a metaphor or simile on practically every freaking page! And a lot of them were just really terrible. scream
I understand why the author did that (the main character is suppose to be this emotionless "vampire" being or whatever -- anyways, she's not human -- so comparing what she was feeling was a way to help her express her nonexistent emotions) but seriously... it made me more pissed at the main character than sympathetic with her.

5,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
I've mentioned this several times here in the Books forum, but... The Red Pony. Words cannot describe my loathing for it.

There's also The Pearl, The Great Gatsby (which disappoints me because I love the 1920s dearly), The Grapes of Wrath, and though it's not a book, Romeo and Juliet.

Moonlight Raider

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The beginning chapters were good, but the second and third acts were a chore for me to finish through. I can see why it got the praise it did, but I just didn't care for the characters. Suppose I'm just not in the target demographic for the book.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games