Have you read a book on witchcraft?

yes 0.74821428571429 74.8% [ 419 ]
no 0.19821428571429 19.8% [ 111 ]
burn in hell you witches 0.053571428571429 5.4% [ 30 ]
Total Votes:[ 560 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 37 38 39 >

Bookworm

Loona Wynd

Not too interested in "pursuing" anything, really... I just want to clear up the prejudice I have about the belief and whatnot. D:

I want to know more about the core beliefs, and what different branches there are. So that I can approach people with the belief and not seem like some sort of naive, uncultured idiot who knows nothing. !!

Okay, well, maybe not to that extent... But I'd like to know more just to be polite. o:

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Nutwin

Not too interested in "pursuing" anything, really... I just want to clear up the prejudice I have about the belief and whatnot. D:
When I said pursue I mean in a curiosity know more to satisfy curiosity and have good ideas, and not necessarily look at for a religious purpose.

Nutwin
I want to know more about the core beliefs, and what different branches there are. So that I can approach people with the belief and not seem like some sort of naive, uncultured idiot who knows nothing. !!

That helps actually. I'm going to break a few books down into topics for you.

Generic Religious witchcraft

Wicca for the solitary Practioner by Scott Cunningham
Wicca for life and Wicca for one by Raymon Buckland
Witchcraft for Tomorrow Doreen Valientine

Magical practices

Practical solitary magic
Magic for beginners
Natural MagicDoreen Valientine

Traditional witchcraft

Witching way of the Hollow Hill Robin Artisson
Hedge Craftby Eric De Vres

Germanic Paganism

Our Troth Vol 1&2
Elemental Asatru

Bookworm

Loona Wynd

Ah! I'm sorry for my misunderstanding! >< !!

Thanks so much for breaking them down for me! It really helps. Now I know what to look for when I go down town next! O:
Do you think I'd be able to find them at any general book store, like chapters or something?

I do know of a few specific celtic/wicca centred stores around the area, if not. ><;;

Thank you so very much, especially for posting this thread. It's been very helpful and I hope it helps a lot more people find what they're looking for. c: !!

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Nutwin
Loona Wynd

Ah! I'm sorry for my misunderstanding! >< !!

Thanks so much for breaking them down for me! It really helps. Now I know what to look for when I go down town next! O:
Do you think I'd be able to find them at any general book store, like chapters or something?

I do know of a few specific celtic/wicca centred stores around the area, if not. ><;;

Thank you so very much, especially for posting this thread. It's been very helpful and I hope it helps a lot more people find what they're looking for. c: !!
You might be able to find them at book stores like Chapters (though you may need to have them order it for you) or check your local metaphysical store. Those are only the few I can think off the top of my head. There are more I would like to mention but my library is at home and I am at my parents for the week.

Shameless Shapeshifter

8,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nerd 50
I just received some free books, and was wondering about opinions on some of these. Which are good, bad, or questionable. And if anyone has good or bad results (of any kind, not necessarily spellwork) with any of them:

Green Witchcraft by Ann Moura
The Complete Book of Spells Ceremonies and Magic by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler (has some positive reviews from Buckland and Cunnnighman on the back)
Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects by Scott Cunnigham and David Harrington
The Wicca Spellbook by Gerina Dunwich (this one looks shady to me because in skimming it she seems to do a lot 'please refer to info from my other book which you ought to buy' stuff)

So any opinions on which are worthwhile, info on what traditions if any they're linked to or other general info?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Pine_Witch
I just received some free books, and was wondering about opinions on some of these. Which are good, bad, or questionable. And if anyone has good or bad results (of any kind, not necessarily spellwork) with any of them:

The Complete Book of Spells Ceremonies and Magic by Migene Gonzalez-Wippler (has some positive reviews from Buckland and Cunnnighman on the back)
The Wicca Spellbook by Gerina Dunwich (this one looks shady to me because in skimming it she seems to do a lot 'please refer to info from my other book which you ought to buy' stuff)

So any opinions on which are worthwhile, info on what traditions if any they're linked to or other general info?
The only book on that list I don't own us Spell Crafts. I think that's a good book. It's more focused on magical practices in crafting decorations and the like for the house. That's just based on a skimming of the book.

Green witchcraft is actually a series of five books. One on magic, Three on witchcraft and one as a Grimiore. It might be worth a check out.

Shameless Shapeshifter

8,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Nerd 50
Loona Wynd
Pine_Witch

The only book on that list I don't own us Spell Crafts. I think that's a good book. It's more focused on magical practices in crafting decorations and the like for the house. That's just based on a skimming of the book.

Green witchcraft is actually a series of five books. One on magic, Three on witchcraft and one as a Grimiore. It might be worth a check out.

Hmmm. I don't see an actual number here, and it lists 2 and 3 in the index, but not 1, so I'm guessing this is volume one. 'Folk Magic, Fairy lore, and Herb Craft' if that helps confirm.

Since you own all of these except the Cunnigham book and didn't say anything negative about them, I'm guessing you have an overall positive view of all of them?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Pine_Witch

Hmmm. I don't see an actual number here, and it lists 2 and 3 in the index, but not 1, so I'm guessing this is volume one. 'Folk Magic, Fairy lore, and Herb Craft' if that helps confirm.
Yeah. Green witchcraft the original one doesn't have 2 or three. I think it as designed to be sort of like a three degree system. There is a lot of cross over between the three books. I never actually read volumes 2 and three. I have read Green Magic a few times. I think the whole series works as a cohesive system.

My favorite book by her is actually Witchcraft an Alternative Path. It has a teen edge and voice to it, but it's practical. It has a very down to earth focus that I enjoyed. She never once made that book out to be all that witchcraft is. She basically said this was her experience and her views. Which I think is important for authors.

Pine_Witch
Since you own all of these except the Cunnigham book and didn't say anything negative about them, I'm guessing you have an overall positive view of all of them?
I do. Gunwich is not one of the best authors, though her spelll book is worth it. The Ultimate spell and Ritual book has many different types of rituals and traditions that it includes. Basically anything and everything you might want or need to know about ceremonial and ritualized magic can be found in there. There are several refernces to Hispanic and Latino cultural practices as that is his personal ethnic background.

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
I hope that was helpful.
Where does Madoka Magica fit in?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
Javier Cross
Can you tell me a bit more about the book? It sounds vaugely familiar to me. Context and an overview of content would be helpful.

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
So I am trying to decide on which books I want to read to deepen my magical experiences and philosophies. I've been going between Practical Solitary Magic or Basic Magick. Both of those are based on psychological and mental philosophies and practices with in magic. This is an area I have been trying to "master" before I work on other magical practice.

Part of the reason I want to strengthen my magical practices and philosophies is because I have that background with the first degree of the Temple tradition. It will also help me refine my understanding of the mind through both the Kyballion and actual magic. The stronger I can get my visualizations the stronger my other practices of magic will become.
I've always been curious about this kind of stuff, can you recommend a good starter book?

Dapper Ladykiller

Loona Wynd
Javier Cross
Can you tell me a bit more about the book? It sounds vaugely familiar to me. Context and an overview of content would be helpful.

It's an anime.

Do you know of any good books on Celtic/Irish deities?
You mentioned way early in the thread they were "closed to outsiders." What does that mean?

Diligent Student

10,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Elocutionist 200
PrincesaPandah
I've always been curious about this kind of stuff, can you recommend a good starter book?
It depends on what exactly you are interested in. Are you interested in witchcraft as a religion and spiritual practice? Are you looking for a magical practice to cause changes in your life? Is there a specific culture which you have an interest in? There are so many books on the market on all the various Pagan, magical, and witch practices that it's hard to know what to recommend with out you answering a few questions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff