Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lunatic

That sinking.
Crushing.
Abysmal feeling..

..when a book that you want to get.. is out of print. And, no local book shops have a copy. Your library doesn't have a copy.

User Image

How many of you have had this happen to you? Did you ever find that book or are you still looking for a copy?

My little sister adores the Redwall series and I had wanted to buy her the book, 'Basil of Baker Street'. However, I haven't been able to locate a new copy online and B&N told me that the book is out of print. The same could be said for, 'Who Censored Roger Rabbit?'; That book was published in the 80s, but since it was completely overshadowed by the lighthearted film version.. It's basically out of print. I am pleased to say, however, that I have actually read that one. I just wish that I had a copy for my friends to borrow, as they're quite eager to read how dark the story is as opposed to hearing it by word of mouth.
Your best bet would be to buy used.

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Deliacroix
That sinking.
Crushing.
Abysmal feeling..

..when a book that you want to get.. is out of print. And, no local book shops have a copy. Your library doesn't have a copy.

User Image

How many of you have had this happen to you? Did you ever find that book or are you still looking for a copy?

My little sister adores the Redwall series and I had wanted to buy her the book, 'Basil of Baker Street'. However, I haven't been able to locate a new copy online and B&N told me that the book is out of print. The same could be said for, 'Who Censored Roger Rabbit?'; That book was published in the 80s, but since it was completely overshadowed by the lighthearted film version.. It's basically out of print. I am pleased to say, however, that I have actually read that one. I just wish that I had a copy for my friends to borrow, as they're quite eager to read how dark the story is as opposed to hearing it by word of mouth.

Here you go! But be quick, looks like they only have one left...

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
Oh yes, I know that feeling. User Image

There are a couple graphic novels that I love, but they're out of print and used copies that I've found are ridiculously expensive. I just can't bring myself to spend 40-60 dollars per volume. I regularly scour all the local used bookstores and online sites for the volumes I still need. There's also a sci-fi book that's out of print that I semi-regularly look for. It's insanely frustrating. Same thing with an older urban fantasy series. Though some of those have come back into print recently, so I've got my fingers crossed that the rest do as well.

Space Genius

Hate that when it happens. There are groups seeking to preserve books by Internet scanlations, thou, especially for those books with publishing house getting bombed by the Axis. confused

Dapper Explorer

8,550 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
You could always try buying the PDF. Though I'm not sure that some of the older books have PDF versions. And there are some sites that do print on demand if you want an actual book, though that tends to be expensive.
The Nausicaa box set just went out of print again. >:/

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
I just had that happen to me with manga I was trying to get , Its a shame that books eventually go out of print as some good ones get lost that way.

Honestly, Op I’d try Half price books or another place that buys back books. They might have some that users have sold to them from the Redwall series( great series by the way, I read those when I was young) Have you tried a library?
I know that when my library doesn't have what I'm looking for you can put in a special request to have it sent from another library, like from any library that might have it across the country. Comes in handy since my county library is really quite small. Id love to have some great giant library in my city, but alas its not to be. ( Although most of what I'm looking for is fairly recently out of print, nothing super rare or anything like that, but who knows what they might have...)

Revered Plague

35,450 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
And that is why I love e-books. Rare or out of print books are cheap or sometimes free (hey this is legal) if the author is dead.

Assimilated Bloodsucker

9,700 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
http://www.amazon.com/Basil-Baker-Street/dp/0671702874/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360265103&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Redwall+Basil+of+Baker+Street

There's 24 used ones on Amazon.

Benevolent Duck

15,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Member 100
I ran into that problem with the third book in the Star Trek: Vanguard series, it went out of print because of some printing error, and has been hard to get ever since.

I was lucky enough to get it from Amazon when it randomly showed up there. But lots of others have not been so lucky.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff