Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hunter

I just finished 'Hard Spell' and 'Evil Dark' by Justin Gustainis, and fell absolutely in love with them. Problem is-- I NEED SOMETHING TO FILL THE VOID NOW. *A*
I've been looking for a new book series and I've come up with pretty much nothing. Does anyone know of a good series to start? I just adore buddy-cop stuff, so that would be a plus. Mystery/Science fiction is awesome too!

And, maybe it makes me weird-- but I really don't like reading about female main characters. It feels like a lot of the time the author is either over compensating, or leaving the woman as an afterthought, someone to pair the guys up with. Do you guys know about any books with a well rounded lady at the lead?

Also I feel the need to write this here since I'm getting this suggestion a lot: I will never under any circumstances read The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, or Twilight.

Dangerous Hunter

9,250 Points
  • Alchemy Level 2 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
Do you have a Kindle? I could lend you one or two if you do.

Hunter

Cain The Cannibal
Do you have a Kindle? I could lend you one or two if you do.

Unfortunately, I don't. T-T

1,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
Hunger games. The marked series. The fallen series. Along with a book called prom dates from hell. All of these are amazing books to read.
I would suggest Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, which stars the only wizard in the phonebook in Chicago. Storm Front is the first in the series, though some people do suggest skipping straight to book three, Grave Peril.

I recently read Fated by Benedict Jacka, which is very similar in tone to Dresden. Alex Verus, Jacka's main character, is a "probability mage": he can see the future. Verus is not a particularly showy mage, but he's clever and I enjoyed the book very much.

Hounded, first in the Iron Druid Chronicles, is by Kevin Hearne. Atticus O'Sullivan is a Druid who has a couple thousand years of experience under his belt, and has gotten on the bad side of the Celtic god of love. Personally I found it a bit lacking, but I did eventually pick up the second book from the library, and enjoyed it enough that I will probably eventually read the rest of the series.

I read Nightlife, by Rob Thurman, about three years ago, so most of it is fuzzy. The main character is Cal Leandros, who, along with his half-brother, has been on the run from his father, one of the monsters that plague most urban fantasy settings.

Finally, and highly recommended, is Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law. It's not urban fantasy, but more like steampunk-ish fantasy, and is set in the universe that Sanderson created in his Mistborn trilogy. (The Alloy of Law, however, is set three hundred years after the events of the trilogy, and can be read as a standalone, which is why I'm suggesting it.) Waxillium "Wax" Ladrian returns to the city from "the Roughs," and along with his friend Wayne investigates a series of robbery/kidnappings.

And I think that's it for now. Hope one of these strikes your fancy! smile

deadflie's Husband

Snarky Man-Lover

16,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Hiss of Love 200
The Hunger games, the books are a bit better than the movie. The movie is pretty damn good though.

Warriors. It's about cats, but it's pretty damn interesting. I'm an avid fan.

Alex Cross series. Interesting and James Patterson is just a good author. emotion_dowant

That's all I can think of right now. c:

Invisible Hunter

Dolores Claiborne is a good book. Probably King's best non Dark Tower book. The Hunger Games is also pretty good.
If you want some old school suggestions anything by the late Anne McCaffrey. She has several series including the Rowan, Crystal Singer and Dragon Riders of Pern. While most do have a female lead, Anne is pretty decent about balancing them between her male characters and her leading ladies. Just be wary of the DRoP books written by her son Todd. While he is good, his writing is not quite up to the same level as Anne.

Hunter

Tiggermyk
I would suggest Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files, which stars the only wizard in the phonebook in Chicago. Storm Front is the first in the series, though some people do suggest skipping straight to book three, Grave Peril.

I recently read Fated by Benedict Jacka, which is very similar in tone to Dresden. Alex Verus, Jacka's main character, is a "probability mage": he can see the future. Verus is not a particularly showy mage, but he's clever and I enjoyed the book very much.

Hounded, first in the Iron Druid Chronicles, is by Kevin Hearne. Atticus O'Sullivan is a Druid who has a couple thousand years of experience under his belt, and has gotten on the bad side of the Celtic god of love. Personally I found it a bit lacking, but I did eventually pick up the second book from the library, and enjoyed it enough that I will probably eventually read the rest of the series.

I read Nightlife, by Rob Thurman, about three years ago, so most of it is fuzzy. The main character is Cal Leandros, who, along with his half-brother, has been on the run from his father, one of the monsters that plague most urban fantasy settings.

Finally, and highly recommended, is Brandon Sanderson's The Alloy of Law. It's not urban fantasy, but more like steampunk-ish fantasy, and is set in the universe that Sanderson created in his Mistborn trilogy. (The Alloy of Law, however, is set three hundred years after the events of the trilogy, and can be read as a standalone, which is why I'm suggesting it.) Waxillium "Wax" Ladrian returns to the city from "the Roughs," and along with his friend Wayne investigates a series of robbery/kidnappings.

Gosh, a few of these are right up my alley! Thank you so much for suggesting (and links, too!)! I'll be sure to check them out; maybe I'll find a new favorite. c:

Hunter

Berrillicious
The Hunger games, the books are a bit better than the movie. The movie is pretty damn good though.

Warriors. It's about cats, but it's pretty damn interesting. I'm an avid fan.

Alex Cross series. Interesting and James Patterson is just a good author. emotion_dowant

That's all I can think of right now. c:

I loathe The Hunger Games series, but the other two are definitely going on my list of things to check out. Thanks for taking the time to suggest something. C:

Hunter

MahinaNuru
If you want some old school suggestions anything by the late Anne McCaffrey. She has several series including the Rowan, Crystal Singer and Dragon Riders of Pern. While most do have a female lead, Anne is pretty decent about balancing them between her male characters and her leading ladies. Just be wary of the DRoP books written by her son Todd. While he is good, his writing is not quite up to the same level as Anne.

Her name sounds familiar, but I don't think I've ever read any of her stuff. I'll have to look into it-- I'm a bit wary of female leads, but definitely open to maybe finding one I'll like.
Chim Sphere
Tiggermyk

Gosh, a few of these are right up my alley! Thank you so much for suggesting (and links, too!)! I'll be sure to check them out; maybe I'll find a new favorite. c:

You're very welcome! Hard Spell and Evil Dark both sounded like something I would read (and the author is now on my reading list, so thanks to you, too!), so I just tried to think of what I've read and enjoyed that sounded similar. smile

Hunter

Tiggermyk
Chim Sphere
Tiggermyk

You're very welcome! Hard Spell and Evil Dark both sounded like something I would read (and the author is now on my reading list, so thanks to you, too!), so I just tried to think of what I've read and enjoyed that sounded similar. smile

They're absolutely fantastic. From what I've seen, Gustainis is a newer author. His style is really distinct and there's this chemistry between his two main characters that made the books really fun to read.
Hopefully my summer won't be as boring now that I've got new things I'm going to read. c:

Questionable Codger

8,950 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Gender Swap 100
If you're into sci-fi then I'd suggest a series by Jeff Somers. The series doesn't really have a name, but the main character is Avery Cates and the books in order are The Electric Church, The Digital Plague, The Eternal Prison, The Terminal State, and The Final Evolution.

I hope you're okay with profanity, because Avery drops the F-bomb on pretty much every page.
Chim Sphere
Tiggermyk
Chim Sphere
Tiggermyk

They're absolutely fantastic. From what I've seen, Gustainis is a newer author. His style is really distinct and there's this chemistry between his two main characters that made the books really fun to read.
Hopefully my summer won't be as boring now that I've got new things I'm going to read. c:

Unfortunately, my library only seems to have Black Magic Woman by Gustainis, and an anthology with one of his short stories. I just finished putting both books on hold, and I'm hoping they'll be available on Saturday; and maybe I can convince the library to buy the other two.

I love authors who write good chemisty--I'm looking forward to getting those books now!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff