Welcome to Gaia! ::

Are you a Strangite or a Norellite?

Strangite 0.46428571428571 46.4% [ 26 ]
Norellite 0.035714285714286 3.6% [ 2 ]
...I'm just a humble poll whore... 0.5 50.0% [ 28 ]
Total Votes:[ 56 ]
1 2 3 >

Has anyone else read this amazing book? In hardback edition it's 782 pages and in paperback it's over 1000, but there's a reason it's a bestseller and an award-winner! So don't let the size daunt you.

Click here for more info....
Oh love this book! I'm in the process of reading it and I find it absolutely amazing and very well written.
I dunno. Strange's way with magic was often too impulsive, reckless and liberal (not politically liberal, I mean sort of naively embracing everything without considering the consequences) while Norrell's was far too restrictive, stuffy, and completely lacking in imagination.

I guess I'm of the moderate school of thought sweatdrop Leaning too far on either side and you're either in danger of getting yourself turned into a newt or being a complete p***k.

Anyway, fantastic book. Oddly it was better the second time I read it than the first time. It's the sort of book you have to savor rather than jump into wondering when the action will start. You've got to appreciate the wit and the writing and the style of it.

Ladies of Grace Adieu, a collection of some of the author's short stories that take place within the world, is terrific as well.

I wonder if I should reread Strange and Norrell again this summer.
I actually just finished it last night. biggrin Oddly enough, Vinculus turned out to be my favorite character...

And CrewWolf, I see what you're saying. I also thought both magicians had their faults. Strange rushed into everything. I liked that he was inquistive and really wanted to develop magic, but he didn't pay attention to the consequences really. (*slight spoiler* Like with the madness tincture. That was overboard. Necessary? Maybe. But the smartest thing probably would have been to have somebody with him to watch over him. *spoiler end*) Yet Norrell was over-cautious to the point that I just wanted to scream at him! And he didn't do much for himself, he left everything up to Childermass and Lascelles. I'm hoping that the new generation of magicians would see the faults and good-points of each man and combine them in a way to benefit English magic. (Strange's inquisitive-ness with Norrell's caution, but a tempering of each)

I need to get Ladies of Grace Adieu....I do have an obscenely long car-ride coming up soon that I'm going to need reading material for...
I'm reading Ladies of Grace Adieu right now, and I have to say I don't like it as much as JS&MN. "The Duke of Wellington Misplaces His Horse" is a good story though.
JS&MN also brought in one of my favorite female characters ever...Arabella Strange. She wasn't in there too too much, but you have to hand it to her for being Jonathon's wife.
for the two 'ites. Sinse they have to stick together, arn't they similer now?
icechild21
for the two 'ites. Sinse they have to stick together, arn't they similer now?

You would think. By the end of the book, I think they realized they needed the qualities of the other, so maybe Norrell is learning to be more daring and maybe Strange is learning to have more caution.
User Image
I tried reading this book, but I didn't get into it at all. I was disappointed. It was expensive for a book I didn't even like. gonk

I guess this one just wasn't my kind of thing. I thought the writing was a little ... bland, I guess.
User Image
JustAnotherFallenAngel
User Image
I tried reading this book, but I didn't get into it at all. I was disappointed. It was expensive for a book I didn't even like. gonk

I guess this one just wasn't my kind of thing. I thought the writing was a little ... bland, I guess.
User Image

She wrote it in a Jane Austen style...At first, I didn't really like that either, but it grows on you after awhile.

Like the Black Hayate sig you have going on there. cool
I though some of the characters were kind of weak, and I found it a bit frustrating that she didn't explain how the magic worked. Sometimes she didn't spend enough time providing motivations for the characters and occasionally seemed to forget about one or two. I suppose it might be a stylistic thing. Overall I thought it was a good book, but it's not going to get on my list of all time favorites.
JustAnotherFallenAngel
User Image

User Image
I agree. I couldn't finish it because it was just so bland. D:

Although I got it at a discount, so it wasn't that much of a loss.
god, that book took me forever to read... mostly because of it's size but i also took a break halfway through part 2.

I loved the way strange was left at the end... other than that, I don't really remember much about the story.

It was kind of ridiculous that the first 2/3 of the book are there just to set up what i like to call "the plot" of the book in the last part
ValeMacabre
It was kind of ridiculous that the first 2/3 of the book are there just to set up what i like to call "the plot" of the book in the last part

Agreed. I mean, I love the book and all, but half of the book didn't actually need to be there.
-_gekreuzigt auf dir_-
ValeMacabre

Agreed. I mean, I love the book and all, but half of the book didn't actually need to be there.

ditto, all the action and such was the last bit. Also, Clarke gave soooo many digressions. And most weren't important. I'll admit that all the little things on the bottom were enteresting, but uneeded to the most part.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff