Welcome to Gaia! ::

Initial thought: "J.K. Rowling is writing adult fiction."

Response: Good news! I'm not really a Potter fan (though I have nothing against it), but perhaps she'll be able to work the same magic for adult fiction that she did for young-adult fiction.

Realization: "J.K. Rowling is writing literary fiction, which is little more than a pile of pretentious self-praise written by people so insecure about themselves and their work that they reject their imaginations and go out of their way to spit on anything resembling genre fiction, operating under the prejudiced misconception that genre fiction is written by cockroaches and less valuable than rat s**t."

Response: Could not care less. Let me know when she turns her imagination back on, if she ever does.
Not interested. At all. Heck, I didn't even read HP book 7...

Dapper Dabbler

9,750 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100

i saw it in bookstores, but i didn't know if it was good so i didn't buy it
has anybody read it?

Dapper Browser

Yeah, I'm very excited! I just received The Casual Vacancy in the mail today. I read about forty-five pages so far; I like it. It's different from Harry Potter, which is really great. Definitely a book for adults. I love it when authors show their different styles. The writing is still really good, of course. Particularly the word choice, and the ease in the sentences. 3nodding

High-functioning Detective

20,400 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I finally got my copy, but haven't started it yet. I'm waiting...
Not that thrilled with it so far but only like six or seven chapters in right now...... stare

Hopeful Bookworm

Hmmmm I haven't really look into it to be honest. She has such great success with the Harry Potter books... sometimes it's better to quit when you're ahead. Hope it goes well!

Punching Bag

I had sampled it and found myself quite bored. A shame, but I still have faith that J.K. is a good writer. This one was just a miss for me.

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
said the rat
I had sampled it and found myself quite bored. A shame, but I still have faith that J.K. is a good writer. This one was just a miss for me.
I had this same feeling as I viewed the sample copy. I wanted to like it ... but ... it doesn't sound like something I would find interesting.

I actually wonder whether she felt compelled to write this because she never agreed with the Tory rise to power in Britain. I thought she wrote it in opposition to people like David Cameron, but I know nothing about British politics.
I finished it, and I wasnt a big fan of it, I just felt I had to finish it, and Im rereading Harry Potter to renew my faith in her, I just wasnt as taken in by the casual vacancy

IRL Citizen

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
kevvy
I finished it, and I wasnt a big fan of it, I just felt I had to finish it, and Im rereading Harry Potter to renew my faith in her, I just wasnt as taken in by the casual vacancy
What did you like or dislike about it?

Friendly Gaian

4,450 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
I doubt I'll check it out simply because from what I read about the story, it doesn't seem like it would interest me.

Magical Trickster

19,950 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150

+.♦.+ Diamond Dust +.♦.+

Isn't it weird that first character in the book is named Barry? Next thing you know her future book is going name a character name Larry.

But yes, I read a little sample about her new book, wasn't so happy about her characters.

-~--~-
WickedREMY
If it's available in the library some day, I'll probably look into borrowing a copy.

this. though i'm not so interested in the premise. i read the inside over at the bookstore yesterday and it seems kind of blah. especially to be coming from well, her.
              i'll read it all the same but i'm a little bit worried about how much i'll like it.

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I probably read it at some point purely because it's by Rowling. But honestly, it isn't that high on my "to read" list. I'll get to it when I get to it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff