Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hallowed Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Object of Affection 150
I FINALLY FINISHED GONE WITH THE WIND AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! emotion_awesome emotion_kirakira emotion_yatta

O.G. Gaian

... I can't resist the obvious response...

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
rofl

No, but really, I've picked it up a few times, but I lose steam somewhere along the way (possibly because I have a hard time getting through stories when I dislike the main character...). So I'll give you a round of applause! How long did it take you to read?

Zphal's Wife

Shy Conversationalist

Awesome! I picked it up a few years ago, but it was a friends copy and I didn't get to finish it before I went home (I was visiting)

I have it on my kindle so I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Dangerous Dabbler

5,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
luffylover
I FINALLY FINISHED GONE WITH THE WIND AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! emotion_awesome emotion_kirakira emotion_yatta

Oh my god, such a good book. Congrats! xD 3/4 of the way through the sequel, I almost don't want* to finish it because who know how long it'll be until the third..

Hallowed Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
faolan

rofl

No, but really, I've picked it up a few times, but I lose steam somewhere along the way (possibly because I have a hard time getting through stories when I dislike the main character...). So I'll give you a round of applause! How long did it take you to read?

I was kinda expecting that response~!
4laugh

It took me about a year and a half to read. Every time it got to heavy or I got bored, I'd go read another book and then come back to it. I don't like starting a book and then not finishing it; so I just take a long time to finish it.

O.G. Gaian

luffylover
faolan

rofl

4laugh

It took me about a year and a half to read. Every time it got to heavy or I got bored, I'd go read another book and then come back to it. I don't like starting a book and then not finishing it; so I just take a long time to finish it.

I thought you might be. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Not a bad strategy... well, I've been doing that with The Silmarillion for the past... um... seven years...? Yeah, must be. Which is what happens when you only open the book a couple times a year, if that. sweatdrop That, and a profound sense of "wait, why are they... hm, better go back a few pages to jog my memory."

As for never finishing a book bothering me, it did used to, but then I had honors English in high school. What I most learned from Great Expectations, Catch-22, The Canterbury Tales, and Wuthering Heights was that sometimes, I'm not going to really care what happens to the characters, and that's okay... because a copy of the cliffnotes, augmented by paying attention in class, gets enough of the idea across to (usually) get a passing grade. xd

Hallowed Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
faolan
luffylover
faolan

rofl

4laugh

I thought you might be. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Not a bad strategy... well, I've been doing that with The Silmarillion for the past... um... seven years...? Yeah, must be. Which is what happens when you only open the book a couple times a year, if that. sweatdrop That, and a profound sense of "wait, why are they... hm, better go back a few pages to jog my memory."

As for never finishing a book bothering me, it did used to, but then I had honors English in high school. What I most learned from Great Expectations, Catch-22, The Canterbury Tales, and Wuthering Heights was that sometimes, I'm not going to really care what happens to the characters, and that's okay... because a copy of the cliffnotes, augmented by paying attention in class, gets enough of the idea across to (usually) get a passing grade. xd

I have The Silmarillion on my TBR. Haven't gotten to it yet, but I plan on starting it as soon as I get one of the other classics that I'm reading done.

With the school reading, I never really read any of it... I just read certain passages and was good. Or I had a friend fill me in on the goings on. I'm kinda weird. I'll read the hard stuff for pleasure, but tell me to read it for school and I'll read what I need to and be done with it. I could never read an entire book that was assigned reading in school. Just couldn't do it.

I have read Great Expectations, The Canterbury Tales, and Wuthering Heights though. Great Expectations kicked my butt.

Beloved Bloodsucker

20,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
luffylover
awesome.
luffylover

That is really exciting, I loved Name of the Wind when I first read it! Read Wise Man's Fear slowly and maybe you'll be done by the time the third one comes out!

aaaand now I want to re-read Name of the Wind.... sweatdrop

Heart Hunter

9,650 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Full closet 200
I picked up a copy of Gone With The Wind once, skimmed through it, read two paragraphs, then put it back down.

I like it okay as a movie, but there is no way I could ever stomach that much of Scarlett O'Hara just to actually finish the book. talk2hand

Hallowed Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
Faol_Cailin
I picked up a copy of Gone With The Wind once, skimmed through it, read two paragraphs, then put it back down.

I like it okay as a movie, but there is no way I could ever stomach that much of Scarlett O'Hara just to actually finish the book. talk2hand
I was surprised by how much different she is in the book though. Like in the movie you can see her changing and maturing and loosing that childishness in her. In the book, though, she's still childish and selfish through out the entire thing, no matter what. She has those qualities forever, but she still manages to get stuff done. It kinda of astounded me.

Heart Hunter

9,650 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Divorced 100
  • Full closet 200
luffylover
Faol_Cailin

I was surprised by how much different she is in the book though. Like in the movie you can see her changing and maturing and loosing that childishness in her. In the book, though, she's still childish and selfish through out the entire thing, no matter what. She has those qualities forever, but she still manages to get stuff done. It kinda of astounded me.
This makes me want to read it even less. And it's not like she changed that much throughout the movie, only a little. Rhett Butler treated her better than she deserved, and she still clung on to her stupid obsession with Ashley long enough to finally drive him away. While I do admire her tenacity and determination(possibly her only redeeming qualities), I'm not sure that someone so selfish and childish--not to mention whiny--even deserves a happy ending. In any case, I believe those two redeeming qualities I mentioned are probably the only reasons she still managed "to get stuff done".

Cute Garbage

19,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Beast mode activated!

CONGRATS!

Cute Garbage

19,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
You should post that on a resume or on an online dating site. Shows dedication and commitment, even when things get boring. biggrin

Hallowed Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
Faol_Cailin
luffylover
Faol_Cailin

This makes me want to read it even less. And it's not like she changed that much throughout the movie, only a little. Rhett Butler treated her better than she deserved, and she still clung on to her stupid obsession with Ashley long enough to finally drive him away. While I do admire her tenacity and determination(possibly her only redeeming qualities), I'm not sure that someone so selfish and childish--not to mention whiny--even deserves a happy ending. In any case, I believe those two redeeming qualities I mentioned are probably the only reasons she still managed "to get stuff done".
True. And in the end, because of her inability to mature and grow, she ended up lacking that happy ending. She was a child and whiny throughout the book; the movie just made it seem like she actually had some sense while in reality she really didn't. She did the things that she did for her; not for her family or anything, but for her. And I guess that's why she didn't get that happy ending; happy endings are for characters that have more than one dimension.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff